Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

vCash
    Devastating breakup. I hope she doesn't come to regret her decision.

vCash
    Well, this STINKS. Pooh. And I was just watching their '08 Worlds LP last night thinking how sad this past season was for them.

-Bridget

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    He had to withdraw from the GP Final in 2007 -- my memory was that it was a back injury, but I don't see any indication of the specifics in the first set of search results.
    Rockne's quote after the GPF SP from an Icenetwork article in December 2007:
    "I missed practice this morning because I have tendonitis in my left foot. It was really sore to get into the boot. But it did not affect me while I was skating."
    As I recall, his foot became worse the next day and that's why they withdrew from the FS.

Quote Originally Posted by figsrus View Post
    Thanks for the link!

Searching for Sergei Verbillo's lost stache
    vCash
    what horrible news for the state of US pairs skating!
    it's too bad, because i actually started to like this team just last season. They stuck out for me, because they had the qualities that the younger US pairs don't--strong basic skating + good speed. Shame about her nerves, though...but still, if Jessica Dube can compete on a high level this long given her technical inconsistencies, i don't see why keauna couldn't stick it out for a few more years, flesh out her problems..etc.

Best of luck to Rockne, though!! I've always enjoyed watching him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Another factor: Who will they be replaced by on the GP?
    See the possibilities (Pairs GP alternates list): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...18#post2797318

...but still, if Jessica Dube can compete on a high level this long given her technical inconsistencies, i don't see why keauna couldn't stick it out for a few more years, flesh out her problems..etc.
    I'm not picking out or on any one poster in this thread, but Keauna is Keauna and Jessica is Jessica. The skaters are the ones who have to train day in and day out with their respective partners and coaches, and they are the only ones who can decide whether or not it's worth it to them to continue their partnerships. We armchair fans are free to offer our opinions, of course, but our opinions don't mean anything, really. Just stating the obvious here.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-23-2010 at 02:01 AM.

vCash
    Keauna is still really petite and if she needs a break she can return at any time and find a suitable partner but she has to get some sports psychology to undo what has been done. She obviously has lost a lot of her confidence, she was a very strong pairs skater during the early part of their partnership and during her puberty lost a lot of that. It seems to happen a lot with these girls. I wish her all the best and hope she finds her passion and confidence once more.
    As for Rockne, he is a fabulous pair guy but . . . . will there ever be anyone tiny enough?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainTime View Post
    As for chemistry, I often thought I needed a cold shower after watching them skate. Gorgeous people inside and out.
    Well he's a man and she's a child so I wasn't seein the chemistry.

I think what you were reacting to was her exotic beauty and that fact he's pure smoke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal Girl View Post
    As for Rockne, he is a fabulous pair guy but . . . . will there ever be anyone tiny enough?
    Me! I'm 4'11"! I have all my single jumps!

Serioustime now: I hope he finds a great partner.

vCash
    I was sad to read this. I loved their West Side Story. I wish them the very best in their futures....they are so young and accomplished so much!

vCash
    Very sad to hear this!! I hoped that with the guidance they'd had from Tai Babilonia, who is very much of the opinion that so many pairs don't stay together long enough through and tough it out through difficult years, that they'd fight through this. I hope to goodness she is OK psychologically--and I would love to see her come back and triumph over the changes her body has gone through the last couple of years.

I guess we could say there's a whole club of "Puberty Ruined My (Skating) Life" members. President: Kimmie Meissner; Vice President: Keauna McLaughlin; members at large: Drew Meekins, Rockne Brubaker.

vCash
    Here's my thing. I agree that US pairs don't stick together long enough. But it doesn't mean that everyone should stick with their partner either. If something isn't working it isn't working. Puberty was always a question mark with this team. And its totally possible that now that she has a woman's body that her and Rockne are just not a good physical match.

There's no amount of sticking together that could work, if they no longer work physically. Who knows why this team broke up. And of course its possible that this is another case of a team who should have stuck it out through the tough times.

But this is also a team that has been together for awhile, and its possible that they don't see how it can continue and they may have good reasons. Especially when it comes to the physical issue, if they no longer fit they'd be fools to stick together.
    Last edited by bek; 06-23-2010 at 02:44 AM.

vCash
    I'm from Los Angeles, the very same part as Keauna, and her style and accomplishments in FS were special to me, as was seeing the two of them perform....
    This is just too sad.

vCash
    I am so saddened by this news. I really liked them all along, and hope they will find happiness and success in whatever they choose to do in the future.

vCash
    Yup, I'm posting a long message again. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by figsrus View Post
    Rockne's thoughts:

"What is your mindset as you begin the often challenging search for a new partner?

I'm positive and motivated to take the next step forward and move on, but worried a little bit because I haven't even begun to think about who is out there. I don't know because I was with Keauna, so I was focused on the team I was a part of, and now I have to break away from that and see who's out there. It's definitely going to be a process."....

"I want to stay in the sport knowing there's the opportunity to get back to the level I was at and be one of the elite teams in the world, how Keauna and I were."
    Gosh, that was sad to read. So it sounds like he didn't find Keauna's "filling out" to be a problem (I didn't either, she must know that she is small) and had no interest in leaving her. Then again, he could be lying, but I doubt it because he actually sounds worried about finding someone as suitable as Keauna was for him. This also sounds quite sudden. Does anyone know if they had gotten new programs choreographed and by whom? Or what their music was going to be? Were they going to be in Indy?

I hope Keauna does not end up regretting this, although there still is time for her to return to the sport if she wanted. I just wonder what really killed her motivation like this. I know the Olympic thing was obviously unfortunate, but that didn't have to be the end. Maybe it was a coaching problem or something else. Last season when she was Twittering often, she seemed like she really loved skating and working hard. I figured this season would be fun for them without any Olympic pressure. They could just have fun, and if they lost, oh well try again next year, because some people figure Denney and Barrett will win anyway. Maybe they could have even developed a fun rivalry. I had a rivalry with someone when I competed in gymnastics and it was one of the best times of my life. So why quit now?

Maybe I don't understand because when I was in high school, I couldn't stand the pointless drama and the baby stuff and couldn't wait to get out of there. I only hung out with friends from the sports I did because they "understood" me and wanted to work hard rather than just drink and party like all my HS friends did. Maybe I'm a party pooper, but I just don't see the point. So it leaves me confused when talented people would give up on major talents they seem to enjoy to attend HS like a regular person. And she will be a Sr next year, so it's only one year of school. There was no way for her to maybe take a few classes around the skating schedule? That's why I just don't think this is about school... It had to have been something else that was bothering her, which is sad. I hope Rockne and her stay friends. And because I adored them, I hope this will be like when Caydee Denney left Jeremy to move to CO and then moved back to skate with Jeremy when she saw what she was missing. (yeah, I can dream)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    Well he's a man and she's a child so I wasn't seein the chemistry.

I think what you were reacting to was her exotic beauty and that fact he's pure smoke.
    Hahahaha. I never saw a man/child thing, at least not since '08-09. They were well matched, and their on-ice chemistry was very good I thought. She'll be 18 soon and in my opinion has looked 18 for a while now. And it helps that Rockne looks his age.

Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    I'm in Colorado, and I've had opportunities to see them since they first started performing together -- my memory is that the throw jumps that seemed effortless when she was younger and smaller now seem like a lot of work. Perhaps it is the placement in the program -- but it still seemed to be true even watching them in exhibitions or practices. It just looked like a lot more work, and she didn't look as tight on the rotations.
    I know what you are saying. Nobody's going to deny that it's easier when the girl is prepubescent. And I'm not going to pretend to know how to do throws. But I know their throws got good distance-- better than most pairs--and maybe they could have tried sacrificing some of the distance for more height if that's what they felt was needed. I just think it could have been something that could have been worked around. Even in an exhibition number, they could have done a throw closer to the beginning of the program like they did in '08.

vCash
    Hey, maybe Sasha Cohen can learn some pairs moves and skate with Rockne.

Just trying to lighten the mood.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Like rfisher, I've thought since Nats that them splitting was inevitable. When I read the review of their skate in the Skate For Hope thread, the thought of them being done for ran through my mind (not that I had anything to back it up, it's just one of those feelings I got).

I wasn't a big fan, but I wish them both all the best. I hope it won't take him too long to find a new partner.

vCash
    Why not Rockne with Vanessa James??? I know she is a bit taller, but that would be an interesting pair and, I gotta say it, their mix of color would be striking out on the ice.. What other high calibre girl skater is out there??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post

I hope Keauna does not end up regretting this, although there still is time for her to return to the sport if she wanted. I just wonder what really killed her motivation like this. I know the Olympic thing was obviously unfortunate, but that didn't have to be the end. Maybe it was a coaching problem or something else. Last season when she was Twittering often, she seemed like she really loved skating and working hard. I figured this season would be fun for them without any Olympic pressure. They could just have fun, and if they lost, oh well try again next year, because some people figure Denney and Barrett will win anyway. Maybe they could have even developed a fun rivalry. I had a rivalry with someone when I competed in gymnastics and it was one of the best times of my life. So why quit now?

Emotional problems? I think it's hard when a teenage girl who wants to act older than her age is paired with a 20+ good looking guy.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    True. I can't see Keauna giving this all up to go to high school for 1 year. It wouldn't make any sense.
    It's her Senior year. For some people that's a big deal with all sorts of activities including Senior Prom. I can well see someone who has had untraditional schooling thinking that this is their last shot at having the typical HS experience.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Hey, maybe Sasha Cohen can learn some pairs moves and skate with Rockne.

Just trying to lighten the mood.
    Well Drew Meekins has been looking for a partner for a while now, hasn't he?

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast