Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    “It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Split? Not surprised. Rockne is so short he will only be able to skate with pre-pubescent girls.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    Well, there are other American teams that might have something to say about that. For instance, Evora and Ladwig did beat them at the Olympics. Additionally, we have teams like Yankowskas and Coughlin who are on the verge, and then a bumper crop of up and comers... Dobbs and Jacobson, Vise and Baldwin, Zhang and Toth, and Aaron and Cohen. We are in capable hands as we develop our teams.

We have two teams that can place top ten in the World, so now we need to step it up and start earning a third spot at Worlds so we can develop a third team. It takes time, and this quad might be it.
    ITA. I think Yankowskas and Coughlin are on the verge of a huge breakthrough, and I hope it comes this season! And Evora/Ladwig showed immense improvement last season, and I'm sure their confidence will continue into 2010-11. I think Caydee and Jeremy know that they can't just mail in their Nationals performances this year.

vCash
    wow, this IS sad....

I find it quite ironic, M/B have said many times that S/Z are their idols and their fav. pair ever, so you'd think they have learned something from S/Z... like perserverance, and sticking together through all the ups and downs....

vCash
    I have to say...I feel like a major downfall with this team was inconsistency, especially in her jumping. Keauna rarely landed her SBS triples cleanly, and when strong elements like the death spiral evaded them in Spokane, they were in trouble.

vCash
    I wasn't a fan and can't say I'll miss them. But is very sad the way their story ended. For once I agree with Hersh "Once the future, now history" in just 2 years.. *sighs*

Now they better give the extra SAmerica spot to Yankowskas&Coughlin and I won't be surprised if Skate Canada picks another american team as their replacement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I think it was inevitable. Their height disparity caught up with them and Keauna was really struggling with her jumps. Plus, I'm not certain they (maybe one or both) really had the work ethic to work through the struggles (not that they could do anything about her growth spurt). Yet another reason for me not to get invested in young skaters too early. Potential doesn't always translate into fruition.

She is not tall. She filled out, but she is not tall, and most likely done growing. I doubt she is more than 5'1", if that. When I went through puberty, the first two years I gained the most weight, and then my body settled down and I started losing weight. Not saying that's how it is for everyone, but your body does need a chance to adjust.

As for Keauna's jumping... If you watch warmups at every competition they did last season, she jumped fine in nearly every single one. Was she a consistent jumper? No, I'm not saying that. But she was jumping much better in warmup than in competition (almost all her 3S were cleanly landed in warmup), which leads me to believe the jumping mistakes in competition were from Olympic year pressure more than anything.

As for the work ethic, I don't know. I've heard they were hard workers and wanted it badly, but I just don't know how many distractions both of them really have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I have to say...I feel like a major downfall with this team was inconsistency, especially in her jumping. Keauna rarely landed her SBS triples cleanly, and when strong elements like the death spiral evaded them in Spokane, they were in trouble.
    Falling on a death spiral is a fluke for even the crappiest of Sr pair teams. IMO, it's not indicative of a damn thing. I can only hope Keauna and Rockne weren't reading these message boards. No offense, but sometimes people blow things out of proportion here. However, I have a feeling both of their parents do read these boards, and all I hope is that random people's comments on a messageboard weren't an influence in this decision. I hope the people around them supporting them did everything they could to try to make this work because you just don't see pair teams like this very often. They don't come around that often, especially in the U.S. If the Olympic year burned Keauna out, then I just hope they had enough good people in their circle to try to help them (especially her). And they also looked like they were very close to each other and had a great relationship, so it's not like it was a case of Maria and Max where they had to breakup because they hated each other. I'm rambling, sorry.

vCash
    Well Savchenko Szolkowy messed up a death spiral very badly at TEB and they would go on for Olympic Bronze.

I remember all their ads from before US nationals and the Olympics. They were all over NBC!

So hopefully everything works out for them in their new endevors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    I hope the people around them supporting them did everything they could to try to make this work because you just don't see pair teams like this very often.
    My take is that, yes, they really "did everything they could to try to make this work." (I claim no first-hand knowledge, however.)

vCash
    Well, I did not like them at all for whatever reason, but it is always dissappointing to see a young team leaving the sport. It sure is unexpected.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Devastated. Beyond devastated. I really believed they'd be a major player during this quad.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I loved this team I was really hoping that Keauna would be able to work out her troubles with jumps in competition, because she has real star power.

Best of luck to her, and I hope we do see Rockne with another partner.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Who's available for Rockne? He is quite a catch (I mean..skatingwise)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    His partner has to be very very petit. Maybe he can convince BB Liang to try pairs??.. but then again she is more inconsistent with jumps than Keauna.

vCash
    Sad to hear they're splitting, they are my favourite US team currently (or was now...) but fear not, we still have inoue and baldwin continuing! Hey if the olympic champs can do it at age 33 and 36 (around there)....

vCash
    Damn... Wow...

Ice Skating International website predicted this a few months ago in its Nationals coverage:

Keauna McLaughlin & Rockne Brubaker moved up to fifth in the long an fifth overall. It was a difficult end to a difficult season for them, and will likely be the end of their partnership, as the team appears to have no rapport either on or off the ice.
    http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archi...s/senpar10.htm
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    How disappointing for pairs fans. They seemed like a magic pair for the future, at one point, with such electric connection to the audience & music. I hope they both find success with skate partners/education/future sport plans.

Makes you think about the long-enduring pairs and how much time it takes for a team to click. True, I've never been a Inoue/Baldwin fan, but one thing they have, that young pairs don't, is surefire synchronization in spins, steps. And with throws and lifts, you sense that she never doubts him, and he never second guesses her.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    She is not tall. She filled out, but she is not tall, and most likely done growing. I doubt she is more than 5'1", if that. When I went through puberty, the first two years I gained the most weight, and then my body settled down and I started losing weight. Not saying that's how it is for everyone, but your body does need a chance to adjust.
    I didn't say she was tall. Unfortunately, the difference in height between them wasn't great. She grew and he stopped. There's nothing either could do about their biology.

And frankly, nerves are just as deadly as poor technique or physical issues. If you leave the program on the practice ice rather than the competition ice, it's time to be a recreational skater. That's just a sad fact.

I wish them both well in their futures.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    My take is that, yes, they really "did everything they could to try to make this work." (I claim no first-hand knowledge, however.)
    I hope the way I worded it didn't come out wrong.

I had a feeling that something was wrong because during the Skate for Hope show this weekend, they had a dinner and everyone was there except Keauna. It makes me feel like this breakup was kind of sudden, and I just hope they REALLY thought this one through. In practice for Nationals, they looked amazing. It's so sad they didn't make the Olympic team, but they aren't robots. There is no guarantee of anything when you only get one chance, and there was pressure on them being the "favorites" coming in (and having all the Olympic sponsors, which obviously was new territory for them). And eventually they were going to HAVE to get used to losing and being the "underdogs". They had been undefeated nationally up until this year's Nationals, and that's just too unrealistic to keep going for a long career. If anything, being "underdogs" may have helped take a lot of pressure off of them.

I guess I'm just in shock because there were so many GOOD things about this pair that I figured they could have found ways to make up for any challenges they were going through. To me, something awful has to be wrong for a pair this good and this young to only last four years. And who wants to end on this type of note? I will repeat, she is not a bad jumper. They were one of the few pairs attempting sbs 3S, and I've seen her do a million of them. It's not like she is one of the million pair girls who attempts a sbs triple in competition when you know she doesn't really have one. There are so many great things about Keauna, I just hate that it has ended this way. Maybe they will get back together one day. I don't know what Rockne's going to do now. There aren't really any 5'0 Sr pair girls just floating around doing nothing right now. So sad.
    Last edited by stjeaskategym; 06-22-2010 at 08:41 PM.

vCash
    I am okay with them splitting. I am glad he is searching for a new partner. Maybe one who doesnt make "the face" He will be fun to watch develop with another pair..

Hmm who is out there for him.. Tracy Tanovich is just still too young for him and prob too tall too.. hmm...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    It's really tough when so many of the small girls (at least those who remain small past puberty) stay in singles. I'm surprised the USFS doesn't encourage some of these smaller girls (who are stuck at the salchow and toe loop) to try pairs. I guess it's hard to give up the dream, but I would think someone might be willing to give it a try, since Rockne is such a wonderful pair skater. They seem to grow very tall girls in Colorado Springs, so he may have to look farther afield...

What about Angela Maxwell? I know she's been injured, but I've always thought she would make an incredible pair skater with her gutsy attitude and small size!

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast