Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    AND, Rena Inoue is 33. So if she avoids injury, Sasha could go for like 2 more Olympics, potentially....

Rena Inoue is barely human though. She has been skating forever, does throw triple axels, and never gets injured. She also was already skating pairs internationally at 12 years old... I think continuing to do something you've always been good at into your mid to late 20s/early 30s is much more feasible than learning a new discipline at that age (and sticking with it if success doesn't come relatively fast). If Sasha ever had the longevity of Rena, that would really be something... Pair skaters like Inoue are obviously a very rare breed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    AND, Rena Inoue is 33. So if she avoids injury, Sasha could go for like 2 more Olympics, potentially....
    I don't know too much about Rena, but has she ever had a major injury? Sasha's already had a fractured back, and when she decided to come back last year she pulled out of her first competition with an overuse injury.

vCash
    Considering all the consistency problems Sasha Cohen had as a single skater, would it really be a good idea for her to come back and do pairs?

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    Considering all the consistency problems Sasha Cohen had as a single skater, would it really be a good idea for her to come back and do pairs?
    If she wants to, yes.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    to all the posts re Sasha in pairs.

I personally would cringe if I had to watch her try to land a powerful throw jump with those wobbly edges

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I personally would cringe if I had to watch her try to land a powerful throw jump with those wobbly edges
    Sasha would have trouble landing a throw jump if she was thrown as high as the German girl (S&S), but Rockne could adjust his technique so that the throw jump covers more distance than height. I think that would work for her.

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    She usually wobbles on her edges when she's trying to extend on spirals -or spins. That wouldn't really be much of a problem with landings. I do agree she had shallow edges and questionable ice coverage in her younger days, but she's perfectly fine when it comes to these things now. If anything, having a partner to support her on pairs spirals would be helpful for her. Sasha could extend all she wants and Rockne could help steady her if need be.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Is Rockne still in SoCal? I thought he had returned to Colorado to look for a training partner?
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Fueling the speculation some more (can't believe I'm actually doing this)...it was posted on GS that Aunt Joyce (I think this is one of the more "reliable" sources??) said that Cohen was indeed actually approached about this opportunity and they had a tryout. People were onto something it seems.

vCash
    Wow - you go away a few weeks and all kinds of new things pop up. If for no other reason than to maintain training, why not Sasha and Rockne? They're not kids - they're both young adults with world level experience. If you never try something, you'll never find out. Rockne is obviously a great kid, a very hard worker, strong as an ox, and possesses the heart of a champion. Maybe Sasha would do better with someone else to support and share the performance and practice process? None of you know. Let them find out. If Keauna doesn't want to skate anymore, so be it. I find it interesting that no one has mentioned her way-high-maintenance mom, but that is probably not relevant now anyway. Whoever Rockne pairs up with I hope he has great success.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    I'm feeling all kinds of tingle at the possibility of a Cohen/Brubaker pairing.

Looks good in print too. Cohen/Brubaker

And will it be the "HenBaker's" or the "CoBru's"?
    Last edited by AliasJohnDoe; 07-11-2010 at 06:31 PM.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    Rena Inoue is barely human though.
    So true! And I thought so even before I read about her having lung cancer when she was 19. How does one get to be as strong as Rena Inoue?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    I wouldn't say Aunt Joyce is one of the more reliable sources. The guy that writes it has been known to fan-fiction interviews and present them as real. Granted, that was before he started this blog, but it doesn't give me a lot of faith. LOL, I think he gets a lot of ideas from this board!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    LOL! If Sasha Cohen is the best Rockne can do, I feel bad for him...his career is for sure over. If Sasha is using pairs as a way to stay in skating I feel it's disrepectful to other pairs to really put their hearts and souls into pairs versus just using it as a second chance to stay on a sport that has out grown her.

If Rockne was smart he would find a younger girl who knows about pairs skating and grow the pair from there. He could easily have 8 years to develop with her. The whole Sasha rumour sounds like a fun story in the off season but really, stick a fork in Sasha...she is done, atleast as far as competition goes.

I would love to see her on tour but in compeition? No way, I would hate to see her drag down Rockne in pairs while she's at it.

vCash
    I agree, she's had her run. I find it hard to believe Brubaker couldn't find somebody else, though- someone dedicated to pairs. Makes me wonder whether he's just trying to find a "quick way out" for lack of a better term...honestly though, I feel for him.

vCash
    I don't think we should assume that Sasha has been Rockne's only tryout so far.

vCash
    Is skating as a singles skater an option for Rockne?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    LOL! If Sasha Cohen is the best Rockne can do, I feel bad for him...his career is for sure over. If Sasha is using pairs as a way to stay in skating I feel it's disrepectful to other pairs to really put their hearts and souls into pairs versus just using it as a second chance to stay on a sport that has out grown her.

If Rockne was smart he would find a younger girl who knows about pairs skating and grow the pair from there. He could easily have 8 years to develop with her. The whole Sasha rumour sounds like a fun story in the off season but really, stick a fork in Sasha...she is done, atleast as far as competition goes.

I would love to see her on tour but in compeition? No way, I would hate to see her drag down Rockne in pairs while she's at it.
    Why such the negativity? This is such a great sport and people like this with a bad attitude need to keep it to themselves. I think that trying out was not a bad idea and who knows who would be a great match for Rockne.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    I was wondering about that. Rockne is more stocky and muscular than most single skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    I was wondering about that. Rockne is more stocky and muscular than most single skaters.
    Because he has to be in order to skate pairs effectively.

I believe this is the last time Rockne competed as a singles skater in U.S. qualifying competition (7th in Novice Men at 2004 Midwestern Sectional Championships in November 2003) before he started competing in pairs: http://www.usfsa.org/event_related_d...ovmen-free.htm

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast