Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Perhaps Rockne should look for a Canadian pairs partner. He might have more luck searching up here than down there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Then I see why Keauna decided to retire. If she's too fat, no one is small enough for Rockne. No extra pounds on that girl at all.
    Heard a typical gossiping skating parent a few days ago in the SoCal area say Sasha Cohen was going to be his new partner. I see this as HIGHLY unlikely but if she were he'd have remedied both the height and weight issue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
    Heard a typical gossiping skating parent a few days ago in the SoCal area say Sasha Cohen was going to be his new partner. I see this as HIGHLY unlikely but if she were he'd have remedied both the height and weight issue.
    I heard someone say this too. I think it's to think Sasha would be willing to do serious, high-level pair skating at this stage of the game, but I guess stranger things have happened.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    I heard someone say this too. I think it's to think Sasha would be willing to do serious, high-level pair skating at this stage of the game, but I guess stranger things have happened.
    Indeed. I was shocked when I heard about Khoklova and Andreev pairing up for ice dance...it seems this is true (although I'll believe it when I see it). So a Sasha/Rockne pairing would be just as shocking but who knows?
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

Live in Guardian Angel
    vCash
    It's my dream to see the pair of Cohen-Brubaker... come true soon???

vCash
    Whoa. Sasha, really? It would be good in terms of publicity and sponsorships, I'm sure. But considering that she's never skated pairs (AFAIK), when would be the soonest that such a new partnership could safely compete?

vCash
    Anything to back this one up, or is it just speculation?

vCash
    Sasha would be an unlikely pairs partner. She has had a recurring back injury, and female pairs skaters have to have a strong back to be able to land throw jumps.

And I just don't see Sasha sharing the spotlight with another skater.

vCash
    Sasha so is not going to do pair skating I would love to see Sasha try pair skating but she would have to take time away from doing what earns her a living. And she's 26.
    Last edited by tarotx; 07-07-2010 at 12:46 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tarotx View Post
    Sasha so is not going to do pair skating I would love to see Sasha try pair skating but she would have to take time away from doing what learns her a living. And she's 26.
    True, but this - if she's at all credible on her pairs skills - would make USFSA and NBC absurdly happy. Perhaps happy enough to make up for all those shows she'd be doing between the end of SOI and the start of SOI.

ETA: I actually brought this up as a joke a few pages back. I think that's all it is, but wouldn't it be amazing!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Sasha would be an unlikely pairs partner. She has had a recurring back injury, and female pairs skaters have to have a strong back to be able to land throw jumps.

And I just don't see Sasha sharing the spotlight with another skater.
    Yeah... I have always thought of her as a big diva... Never saw her as someone who would ever seriously skate with a partner... Especially not as an injury prone 26 year old.

Isn't she skating in shows in Korea (and elsewhere) this summer and then doing several of those Disson shows in the early fall? That's how she earns a living, isn't it? Why would she want to learn pairs now and start over learning something new? I just don't see it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    This was my first thought too. Being thrown across the ice and landing on one foot seems to be too much stress for an already stressed spine that at one time had a fractured vertabrae (IIRC she had that injury).

Perhaps she is "filling in" as a practice partner until Rockne has a new one.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    AFAIK it's more than "just speculation," but that doesn't mean that it's actually going to happen.

vCash
    OK, this thread just got good again. I no longer want it locked.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    This was my first thought too. Being thrown across the ice and landing on one foot seems to be too much stress for an already stressed spine that at one time had a fractured vertabrae (IIRC she had that injury).
    She had a stress fracture in her back in 2001 and missed Nationals.... Then in 2005 she withdrew from her Grand Prix events because of another back injury (I don't know if it was related to the first one), if I'm recalling correctly. I don't know if it's a chronic back condition, but in general, she seems a bit injury prone.

Aside from the injuries... She's not a young, fearless teenager anymore... I would think learning pairs at 25 (she'll be 26 in Oct) would be somewhat frightening (although from a distance, pairs may seem easier than it looks)... I wonder what would be the motivation for Sasha? If she doesn't come out blazing, is she going to want to hang on until 2014 when she will be almost 30 years old? She's already won several major international medals as a singles skater, so could she handle not medaling right away in pairs? I'm just surprised to hear she is actually considering this since it seemed like pulling teeth to get her to Nationals last season in the glamorous Olympic year, and that was in a discipline in which she actually knew what she was doing.
    Last edited by stjeaskategym; 07-07-2010 at 06:40 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    AFAIK it's more than "just speculation," but that doesn't mean that it's actually going to happen.
    ok thanks, yeah I know what you're getting at.

She just doesn't strike me as a "share the spotlight" type of girl. She wants everything for herself.

vCash
    I can't see her doing pairs, but maybe just playing around with it for fun? But that's just speculation because I'd do it.

Didn't she say she tried it as a kid with John Zimmerman and didn't like sharing the spotlight at all? Seem to remember that in her book.

vCash
    She was like 7 points away from winning a gold medal in singles at the Olympics! Switching to pairs? That's so weird.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    My source is totally unknown to me so I have no idea as to their credibility. When I heard it I took it in jest, and retold it here in jest as well. With that said Socal is the area Cohen trains in so there's a tiny bit more potential that this be accurate than if I'd heard the gossip in, say, Mississippi.

I don't know what area the other person who reported to hearing this heard it in...I was surprised to hear anyone else mention it as I initially took it as simple bored-parent banter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
    My source is totally unknown to me so I have no idea as to their credibility. When I heard it I took it in jest, and retold it here in jest as well. With that said Socal is the area Cohen trains in so there's a tiny bit more potential that this be accurate than if I'd heard the gossip in, say, Mississippi.

I don't know what area the other person who reported to hearing this heard it in...I was surprised to hear anyone else mention it as I initially took it as simple bored-parent banter.
    We probably have the same source. I didn't take it in jest, but it does sounds rather ridiculous to me anyway.

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast