Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Talking Figure skating online flash game

I'm not sure if anybody has posted this, but here's a game I hadn't seen before:

http://www.shockwave.com/gamelanding/figureskating.jsp

Basically you draw figure to execute skating moves. Figure skating with actual figures? Shock!

It's actually pretty fun, and a lot better than the only other figure skating game I've seen online. There's actually a hint or two of an element of strategy in planning your jumps, because executing a tough jump with a long preparation might cause you to miss the next element if you're too slow.

Other funny things I noticed:

• Falling on a jump is worth more points than having a "fair" execution.
    • Spins are more about speed and quantity than quality of the rotations.
    • A waxel/death drop "butterfly jump" is considered the second hardest jump in figure skating.
    • Base values/GOE for jumps is hilarious. You can have a "fair/good" triple axel and end up scoring less than a "perfect" toe loop.

Blergh
    vCash
    What was your highest score, CantALoop?

Mine was 95.76 out of a 93.50 base value.

When I got to Vancouver, I tried to have a variety of elements and put some difficulty in. Then I realized that I'd be a lot more successful if I code-whored and just worried about execution.

So I loaded my routine with 4 Double Lutzes and 1 Single Toe Loop. I started having trouble with the Footwork, so I did one level 2 FW and one level 1. I had a horrible time with the figure 8 type moves so I didn't bother with the Biellman spin/spiral, Camel spin, Triple Axel or the Level 3 Footwork. I instead did a Sit Spin and a Layback Spin and did two Kerrigan spirals.

I realized that I scored higher doing those easier moves well than trying for more difficult elements and getting a good or fair rating. I learned a valuable lesson in Code-whoring after winning gold in Vancouver.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 06-29-2010 at 07:41 AM.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Sooooo read figure skating online "flesh" game! Whew!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post

When I got to Vancouver, I tried to have a variety of elements and put some difficulty in. Then I realized that I'd be a lot more successful if I code-whored and just worried about execution.

So I loaded my routine with 4 Double Lutzes and 1 Single Toe Loop. I started having trouble with the Footwork, so I did one level 2 FW and one level 1. I had a horrible time with the figure 8 type moves so I didn't bother with the Biellman spin/spiral, Camel spin, Triple Axel or the Level 3 Footwork. I instead did a Sit Spin and a Layback Spin and did two Kerrigan spirals.

I realized that I scored higher doing those easier moves well than trying for more difficult elements and getting a good or fair rating. I learned a valuable lesson in Code-whoring after winning gold in Vancouver.

Are you Laura Lepisto in disguise?

vCash
    I meet the system requirements, but it keeps crashing both IE and Firefox every time I try to play.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    boy her transitions suck

vCash
    Not to mention her rollerblader-esque skating skills are no teknik Besides, if a girl can land 5 triple axels in the same program, she doesn't need transitions!

Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I remember once scoring just barely above 100 and change with a base value of 94.75. I usually score just below 100 if I get perfects on all the Lutzes My layout is:

2Lz, Kerrigan, LSp, StSq2, 2Lz-2Lz-2Lz, Kerrigan, StSq2, 2Lz, SSp

Yes, with all my jumps being 2Lzs, I'm a code-whore as well I've gotten really quick at the 2Lz command, so doing the three-jump sequence is no problem. One of them with all perfects nets usually 9.something.

I have trouble with the figure eight commands as well, so I do the same thing as you and don't go for the camel or Biellmann spin/spirals. I've noticed that the funky Kerrigan star pattern tends to be judged more leniently than the Biellmann. I could draw a mutated starfish and it'd score higher than even my most perfect figure eight.

As for spins, I just spam half-assed circles to get 20+ rotations. They're a guaranteed 9 points if I get enough of 'em in.

I go for level 2 steps because I'd rather forget the figure eights in the level 3 sequence. Even with half perfects (I don't think I've ever had a perfect step sequence), I've never got more than base value on one.

vCash
    Meanwhile, I'm stuck in Moscow. Is there a secret to winning this level? Even when all the tricks go as well as possible in isolation the score seems to come up short....

Maybe a well placed bottle of vodka?

vCash
    hands down best figure skating game ever lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NseHBnBw2z4 (I did not make this btw lol)

vCash
    I kept getting distracted by the flash photography.

vCash
    This is ridiculously addictive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCharm View Post
    This is ridiculously addictive.
    yep...

vCash
    I've been playing it for hours.

vCash
    I am enjoying this game way too much! Thanks for posting the link!

vCash
    Have any of you ever played Vancouver 2010 Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games on the Wii? It has a figure skating competition in that game too.

Not sure who came out with it first, but the figure skating competition in the Mario & Sonic Vancouver game is designed just like this shockwave one.

Same idea of constructing a program on your own. You don't get to choose outfits and what your player looks like, but you use a Mario or Sonic character to skate to one of eight or so pieces of classic figure skating music. It's so much fun!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    I meet the system requirements, but it keeps crashing both IE and Firefox every time I try to play.
    I am having the same problem. Anyone know a solution for this?

vCash
    Thanks for recommending this; it's sooooo addictive and fun!

vCash
    I just had a really bad meltdown in Moscow. 66.60 points with two falls.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IneZR View Post
    I just had a really bad meltdown in Moscow. 66.60 points with two falls.
    Cue the FSUniverse on whether you should quit your eligible career and/or what you need to do to get back on the podium...

Blergh
    vCash
    I heard IneZR's skater did an unsanctioned show after her Moscow meltdown. I think we should revoke her eligibility.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast