Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waltz_jump View Post
    I'm so glad to see that I am not alone on this boat Yesterday my friend asked me if I was going on July 2nd (Friday night) to see her bf's band play at this bar in downtown Chicago. I live in the 'burbs, so the drive itself will be a hassle, plus parking (which isn't cheap). I was willing to go, so I asked "what time do they get onstage?" she said "10 pm" "That's too late! I have to get up at 5:30 am the next day to skate" and she said "aww come on don't be an old lady"....that annoyed me and made me decide that I'm DEFINITELY not going now.
    "Old ladies" don't skate!! (How about making a deal with your friend: You'll go to see the band if she gets up at 5am and goes to the rink with you the next morning).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    We all make choices in life. If what you want to spend your money on is skating then that is choice. But it does bug me when people think it is stupid spending money on skating but they wouldn't bat an eyelid if you spent that amount on a personal trainer or gym membership.
    Because skating is seen as a hobby, especially if you're not at the elite level, whereas hiring a PT or having a gym membership is seen as a necessity to improve one's health.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Because skating is seen as a hobby, especially if you're not at the elite level, whereas hiring a PT or having a gym membership is seen as a necessity to improve one's health.
    It is, but people (even though they don't, but they should) should also realize that ANY exercise or physical activity improves one's health. I know I get bored with conventional gym exercise, though I do it a few times a week anyway. I just refer it to "off ice training" (even though I don't compete) to make myself go and i tell myself it can only help my skating. It can be ballroom dancing or softball, as long as you are breaking a sweat and moving around, it gets your blood flowing and your heart pumping...good for the body!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post
    "Old ladies" don't skate!! (How about making a deal with your friend: You'll go to see the band if she gets up at 5am and goes to the rink with you the next morning).
    I tried this and she looked at me like I was crazy. So I gave her the same dumb look back at how can she expect me to stay out that late and then get up for my lesson. I felt like such a smarty pants but she did it to me first!

vCash
    One my old skating friends stared calling non-skaters 'muggles' because there was seemingly nothing we could to to help them understand the attraction of the sport. "You WANT to get up at 6 am on Saturday morning to go do WHAT?"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    One my old skating friends stared calling non-skaters 'muggles' because there was seemingly nothing we could to to help them understand the attraction of the sport. "You WANT to get up at 6 am on Saturday morning to go do WHAT?"
    Oh I love that. May I steal that for my signature?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    +1

For my part, hopefully, my friends are really happy that I've got the luck of practicing a sport I love, and they try to plan partys accordingly Ok, I never had ice time earlier than 7am, but I'm very happy having such friends !

My hubby is also really supportive, and glad that I'm training hard for my sport

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    By all means !

vCash
    OMG, I thought I was the only one who referred to non-skaters as "muggles"! I guess great minds think alike.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane Mars View Post
    +1

For my part, hopefully, my friends are really happy that I've got the luck of practicing a sport I love, and they try to plan partys accordingly Ok, I never had ice time earlier than 7am, but I'm very happy having such friends !

My hubby is also really supportive, and glad that I'm training hard for my sport
    My hubby is supportive too! Which is good, coz I need his money to support this hobby...j/k... I also work full time but at least he is not whining when it's time to buy a new freestyle punch card or write the coach a check. lol

We only have one car and we usually run errands Saturday mornings so he goes with me to the rink (wakes up with me and everything) and sits and watches my lesson. Lately he has taken to bringing his laptop coz my rink started offering free wi-fi...but he still gets a kick out of the other skate parents asking him which one on the ice is his kid or sibling and he points to me, saying 'That's my wife!'

vCash

Wink

My husband used to complain bitterly about the time and money and energy I put into skating. Then he started playing hockey. I never heard another complaint again after I said, "You're going to play till 11:30 tonight with a bunch of kids half your age even though you're not sure if your knee is healed?? Oh, okay."

vCash
    If only at 6am! I am getting at 4.40am six times a week, including Saturdays and Sundays!

vCash
    I feel like I live in two different worlds. The people who inhabit my skating world don't understand my school world. They don't get why I can't skate more than I do or why I have to study a lot, etc. The people who live in my school world don't understand why I get up at 6am every morning to practice and why I can't come out with them on Monday nights. They also don't get where all the awesome bruises come from haha.

But once I explain it, most of them are really supportive

vCash
    We lost our morning sessions at the rink. It wasn't affordable for the rink to keep running them.

Disappointing as I really enjoyed them but also I am not really interested in skating the evening sessions. However to get a reasonable quota of skating in during the week I will need to make the effort to go to at least one. Wednesday evenings I go to our nice new rink because they have a freestyle session there which is really good. And I also don't have to race from work to get there as it is about 7.45pm
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I have been skating early morning sessions for 3 years: up by 4 a.m., out of the house by 5, at the rink by 6, and on the ice at 6:30 or 7 (depending on the day). MOST people clue in that it means bedtime comes early but a few didn't get it until I started returning their calls at 4 a.m. That solved the problem!

At work management didn't get it and would schedule a meeting that interfered with my skating - skate later/earlier/another time they would say - and I had to impress upon them that it is block ice time (not reschedule-able) and I have a coach who is expecting me and doesn't have time in her schedule to fit me in later/earlier. After showing up late for a meeting or two, or getting up and leaving because it's time to go to the rink, they realized this is not flexible - it is either go or miss altogether.

vCash
    You are lucky your work is so accommodating. However I am surprised they actually let you get away with that.

My work is pretty flexible with regards to people coming in later and leaving earlier. They don't mind at all as long as my work gets done. So skating in the morning was not a problem, nor leaving earlier in the afternoon. However they would not be impressed if I was late for a meeting or missed something important because of something I did outside my work time. And they would have the right to tell me it is not acceptable.

I had to miss trial judging at Nationals one year because work wouldn't let me go because of deadlines. I just had to accept it.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    You are lucky your work is so accommodating. However I am surprised they actually let you get away with that.
    I am VERY flexible and accommodating and make allowances frequently, but my schedule is posted, everybody knows my hours, and if they schedule something outside of my normal working hours, particularly at the last minute, I feel no obligation to accommodate them. If a system goes down or if network changes need to be made, they know I am here regardless of the hour, day or night, week day or weekend, so when someone schedules a meeting because it is convenient for them but NOT convenient for me, tough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12