Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    I enjoyed the judges commentary on #3.

Joe Inman, Lea Ann Miller, and Dan Joyce..and there's one more I can't recall........

Quadless
    vCash
    Have they posted the standings after Challenge 3? I can't seem to find that if it is in fact already up.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    I have managed to see something but I can't figure out how this competition works.
    How can you see them all?
    How can you see comments?
    How can you vote?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Weisiger's July 12th announcement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB3GaMbAnlw
    Joel Dear won (17 stars) Challenge 3 (Return to the Classics) while Kathryn McSwain won the popular vote.

The final challenges will be posted on Friday, July 16, and they are:
    Challenge 4A: "Fosse Fosse Fosse"
    Challenge 4B: "Inspiring the next generation"

Quadless
    vCash
    Looks like some of the Challenge 4 entries are already up. I'm looking forward to seeing them all.

Are the cumulative standings posted anywhere?
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    I love Joel Dear's entry for "Inspiring the Next Generation".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG6MBg2ITXg

vCash
    I love Joel Dear's Carving Space program, but I'm not sure yet about Inspiring the Next Generation piece. I have to see it again. The one red glove looked too much like a copy of Christina Czako's Adam Family program.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Are the cumulative standings posted anywhere?
    Sarah and Drew posted the totals on their Twitter:

YAS choreo comp totals thru Challenge 3: Dear 46.5, Steenberg 45.5, Siegmund 44, McSwain 39.5, Van Wyk 38, Blake 37.5, Baga 32.5, Leigh 27.5
    It's tight at the top, so I guess it will come down to this final challenge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    From the Announcement:
    Thanks for the information, Sylvia! The National Sports Center in Blaine is my home rink, so I'm going to try to get there and watch!!

vCash
    I'm surprised Steenberg's score is even that close to Joel's.

vCash
    I think this competition is fantastic. What an innovative way to develop young choreographers. Perhaps with events like these we will see stronger, better interpretations from an increasing number of skaters. Bound to improve the overall state of skating!
    Hope they do it again next year and receive more entrants.

Quadless
    vCash
    Sarah and Drew have interviews with Audrey Weisiger and champions finalists Joel Dear and Tommy Steenburg in their latest blog.

I hope they'll tape the final and post it on YouTube.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    The National Sports Center in Blaine is my home rink, so I'm going to try to get there and watch!!
    I hope you got to go today and can report back? Ryan Bradley reportedly made an appearance there today.

According to: https://twitter.com/SarahandDrew/status/20096110459
    Victoria Beebout and Tommy Steenberg won the Young Artists' Showcase final today.

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    I was there! I took some notes, but don't have time at the moment to write up a report.

Ryan was one of the judges actually, he didn't skate.

Part 1 of the competition the choreographers had the same skater and the same piece of music, but they didn't know until they arrived here who the skater would be. I think that Ryan Bradley was originally supposed to be one of the skaters, but is still injured? Anyway, the skater for the Grassroots division was TJ Yang, and the music was Django (Piazzolla), and the skater for the Champions division was Kate Charbonneau and the music was Ashokan Farewell (Jay Unger).

In the second half, each choreographer had to skate to something they had choreographed for him/herself.

Victoria skated to Norah Jones - reprising her chair number from one of the earlier challenges. Nanoha Sata skated to a number that began with classical Japanese music then moved into Japanese rap/funk. Tommy skated to Rite of Spring, and Joel skated to a new age piano piece and used a red balloon as a prop.

Joel's balloon piece was beautiful, and got perfect scores from two of the judges (Doug Mattis and Ryan Bradley). I'm guessing that Tommy's marks from part 1 of the competition gave him the win (I did like the number he choreographed for Kate better than the one that Dear did... although I thought that both programs were fantastic, as was Kate).

There were 3 exhibition routines that were choreographed by YAS competitors. Ana Draovitch skated a balletic program that Steenberg choreographed; Amber Van Wyk skated to a jazz/poetry piece that she choreographed herself; Kiri Baga skated to a jazz funk piece choreographed by Courtney Baga.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I hope you got to go today and can report back? Ryan Bradley reportedly made an appearance there today.
    I wasn't able to go today due to unforeseen family circumstances, but my friend did go and got to meet Ryan Bradley!

Thanks for the report, Impromptu!

vCash
    Thank you, Impromptu, for the report! I was looking forward to hearing what happened.

I enjoyed following this competition,and congratulations to the winners, finalists, and all the competitors!

Quadless
    vCash
    Thanks for the report, Impromptu.

This was a very interesting competition to follow, and certainly a change of pace to have the choreography and art be the star rather than technical elements and their execution. It was inspiring to see the depth of talent in the contestants, and I look forward to seeing these emerging artists make their mark on our sport through their work.

vCash
    First time post. Just to let everyone know that they have posted the two compositions by the Grassroots competitors on Youtube. They do not tell you the choreographer, just program 1 and program 2.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12