Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    As people have been discussing in the other thread on this topic, the JLC is in downtown London, in the middle of restaurants, bars, shopping and within walking distance of several hotels.
    There may be some hotels that are close, but these are most likely going to be the "official" hotels and all the rooms will be taken up by the ISU and Skate Canada, don't you think? Many people have said that they had difficulty in securing a hotel room, even for Nats last year...

vCash
    YAY!!! 2010 Worlds in London! I guess I'd better start saving my money now, becaue there is NO WAY I'm going to miss that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    YAY!!! 2010 Worlds in London! I guess I'd better start saving my money now, becaue there is NO WAY I'm going to miss that.
    I think you already have missed 2010 Worlds.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    There may be some hotels that are close, but these are most likely going to be the "official" hotels and all the rooms will be taken up by the ISU and Skate Canada, don't you think? Many people have said that they had difficulty in securing a hotel room, even for Nats last year...
    A quick search reveals more than two dozen hotels in London; unless there are several other major events happening in the city at the same time, I can't see that it will be a problem. If you are that concerned, then make a booking now for 2013.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

vCash
    A quick search reveals more than two dozen hotels in London; unless there are several other major events happening in the city at the same time, I can't see that it will be a problem. If you are that concerned, then make a booking now for 2013.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

You’re kidding, right?

Most of the hotels are outside the downtown core. Hotel space was packed for *Nationals*, without the influx of feds and media that will arrive for a *Worlds*. And just not any Worlds – the one before 2014 Olympics. Cripes, the media & entourage surrounding Yu Na will take up one hotel all by themselves. I exaggerate, but not by much.

If you can’t get in to an “official hotel” or are unwilling to pay those prices, the only hotel space will be well outside the downtown core. That means expensive cab fares or the cost renting a car with all of the parking hassles that others have mentioned.

Still not convinced? Let’s do a little comparison, shall we? London has a population of about 450,000. The population of Victoria (2011 Nationals) has a population of 330,000, and Kingston (2010 Skate Canada) has about 150,000.

According to Trip Advisor, London has 41 hotels and 7 B&B’s.
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g1...io-Hotels.html

Victoria? 72 hotels, and 109 B&B’s
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g154945-
    Victoria_Vancouver_Island_British_Columbia-Hotels.html

Kingston? 33 hotels and 24 B&B’s
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g1...io-Hotels.html

When the location for this year’s Skate Canada was announced, people on this board started booking hotel space fast and there was a thread in which posters reported back that some hotels started boosting rates when they figured out a major event was coming to Kingston. Which has more accommodation than London despite being about 1/3 the size.
    You can’t book hotels in 2010 for 2013. London hotels now know they have a major event. When supply and demand kicks in, London’s hotel prices might start looking “real London” rates.

And it’s not like there is another decent sized city that is within commuting range with additional hotel space.

According to Tourism London, the city has about 3,300 hotel rooms in total

http://www.londontourism.ca/Meeting-Planners/Why-London

Yes, the event will sell out, especially if V/M are still competing in 2013. But that will come from the local base. The tickets are likely to be expensive/hard to get, just because so few tickets will be available. The JLC has a seating capacity for hockey of about 9,100. That’s *before* you subtract capacity for K&C, sponsor tickets, judges, broadcast booth, etc. Supply and demand again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Labatt_Centre
    I hope I turn out to be wrong on this, but I can see the cost of tickets and travel putting this event out of reach for the budgets of many people on this board.

Yes, the people in London are friendly and hospitable and there’s no question that there are great dining choices near the JLC. But that’s not the real issue.
    Last edited by snobben2345; 06-22-2010 at 08:37 PM.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snobben2345 View Post
    You’re kidding, right?
    What's that? Sorry I can't seem to hear you over the sound of the vuvuzelas.

vCash
    Ah... sound of vuvuzuelas affects your ability to read and respond to factual information? OK

vCash
    If you are that concerned, then make a booking now for 2013.
    You can't book a hotel room three years in advance...

Cripes, the media & entourage surrounding Yu Na will take up one hotel all by themselves. I exaggerate, but not by much.

I hope I turn out to be wrong on this, but I can see the cost of tickets and travel putting this event out of reach for the budgets of many people on this board.
    I think that's the situation I will be in but we will see what happens I guess. Hopefully Skate Canada returns to the West next year after four years in the East

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Yeah, I think I'm not going*. It's just too much of a pain to get to (fake) London. There should be an ISU rule that you can't host Worlds in a city whose "international" airport only has scheduled flights to one other country.
    Actually, there are also direct flights to and from the important skating nations of Mexico, Jamaica and Cuba

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Actually, there are also direct flights to and from the important skating nations of Mexico, Jamaica and Cuba
    Holiday charter flights don't count.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    I went to Nationals in London in 2005 and thought the atmosphere was great for the competition. I liked the more intimate setting of the arena, and there was a lot to do in the 2-3 blocks around the Labatt Center.

However, I cannot see how London is going to handle the logistics for Worlds. There simply isn't enough hotel space in downtown London--IIRC, there are only 6 or 7 hotels within walking distance of the arena, and 2 or 3 of those (the Comfort Hotel and Residence Inn) are a good mile away. From what I saw of the rest of London, the hotels outside of downtown are not all that nice, and some of them are not in very good areas. It was hard to find a hotel room for Canadians--I couldn't find anything downtown until one of the hotels had a cancellation a few weeks before the event--and I would guess that almost every single downtown hotel room will be needed for officials, media, and skaters. On top of that, the arena does not have sufficient backstage areas for media and skaters at Nationals, let alone Worlds. I applaud Skate Canada and the ISU for going with a smaller venue given all of the empty seats in Calgary in 2006, but I foresee a lot of logistical problems with London that will make attending for out-of-towners (including media and skaters) a difficult experience.

vCash
    i wonder which will be the official hotel for london 2013? i assume either delta or four points by sheraton?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    It's one thing to have the venues for certain events in suburban locations that might be one or two hours outside of the main city (this is fairly common), but St. Petersburg is 1,920 km from Sochi and Moscow is 1,360 km from Sochi. It would be closer to have the event in Turkey or Georgia.

Besides, there is no way the venue will not be ready.
    Didn't Beijing 2008 organise their Equestrian event in Hong Kong(1964 Kms from Beijing). Sailing also was held outside of Beijing at Qingdao, which is some 880 kms from Beijing. Most Olympics football matches are spread through out the host country, so for a bigger country that could be that the event can be held some 2500 kms away from main stadium. So, if sochi has any problem with the venues, they can use existing facilities. Also remember, my post was in reply to posts by Frau Muller and Rock2, who seem to suggest that the entire games will be moved out of Russia. So before moving the games entirely, if need arises IOC will move the some events within Russia.

One think i agree with you, the venues will be a ready ahead of the games, and i am looking forward to attending it.

vCash
    for summer olympics, sailing and soccer are really held far from the city unless its a coastal one. Seoul's sailing event was in Busan, Atlanta's was in Savannah and yes Beijing's was in Qingdao, Moscow's was in Tallinn. Soccer is understandable why it needs to spread out. Equatrian was different, Beijing tried to pull a Melbourne 1956 in my books there. Its could've been easily held in Beijing yet they said they Hong Kong has better facilities. I think they just didn't want to build one and the IOC was adamant to host the games in China. When Athens was falling behind rumors were circulating that Sydney or Seoul will be the back up. When the bribery scandal broke out Calgary offered itself as host should Salt Lake City be stripped of the hosting the rights. I think if the venues weren't ready in time for Sochi 2014 the most logical thing to do is either retain Vancouver or ask Turin to host if they will accept.

vCash
    Is it practical to commute to London from Oakville (halfway between Toronto and Hamilton)?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lexeoe View Post
    for summer olympics, sailing and soccer are really held far from the city unless its a coastal one. Seoul's sailing event was in Busan, Atlanta's was in Savannah and yes Beijing's was in Qingdao, Moscow's was in Tallinn. Soccer is understandable why it needs to spread out. Equatrian was different, Beijing tried to pull a Melbourne 1956 in my books there. Its could've been easily held in Beijing yet they said they Hong Kong has better facilities. I think they just didn't want to build one and the IOC was adamant to host the games in China. When Athens was falling behind rumors were circulating that Sydney or Seoul will be the back up. When the bribery scandal broke out Calgary offered itself as host should Salt Lake City be stripped of the hosting the rights. I think if the venues weren't ready in time for Sochi 2014 the most logical thing to do is either retain Vancouver or ask Turin to host if they will accept.
    Melbourne's case was different. There were strict quarantine rules for animals at that time in Australia that made it impossible to bring horses from other countries to the Olympics. The equestrian competitions were technically part of the same Olympics, but were held several months earlier.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post

*Probably just as well seeing as I'm likely to barred from entering Canada for making fun of standing ovations and slam poetry.
    You may have noticed from the Vancouver Olympics Closing Ceremonies that Canadians are very good at making fun of themselves, so I think you're safe.

I think if the venues weren't ready in time for Sochi 2014 the most logical thing to do is either retain Vancouver or ask Turin to host if they will accept.
    My understanding is that the venues in Sochi are going to be moved to other parts of Russia after the Olympics. If that's the case, maybe they'll be pre-fabbed in parallel (or could be) while the infrastructure is being laid and shipped to Sochi.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I think if the venues weren't ready in time for Sochi 2014 the most logical thing to do is either retain Vancouver or ask Turin to host if they will accept.
    I honestly don't believe a big, proud country with huge financial and human resources like Russia, with so much experience in organizing sports events and so used to shows of grandeur, would allow such a thing to happen. The venue may not be ready a year in advance for the Euros, but it is sure to be ready for the Olympics. We are still in 2010 - even if nothing had been started yet it would be ready.

vCash
    I don't doubt that the venues will be completed in time, but I find it weird that figure skating one will not be ready in time for Europeans, since I was under impression that it was supposed to be one of the first to completed.

OTOH, I have never heard anyone on the Russian side expressing any desire of hosting Euros (in Sochi or otherwise), so the venue might not be an issue at all. I doubt ISU has power to assign events to a country, which has not made a bid. It is my understanding that RFSF has always wanted/planned to use a GPF (I am not certain if it's 2012/2013 or 2013/2014 one) as a test event.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anya View Post
    I don't doubt that the venues will be completed in time, but I find it weird that figure skating one will not be ready in time for Europeans, since I was under impression that it was supposed to be one of the first to completed.

OTOH, I have never heard anyone on the Russian side expressing any desire of hosting Euros (in Sochi or otherwise), so the venue might not be an issue at all. I doubt ISU has power to assign events to a country, which has not made a bid. It is my understanding that RFSF has always wanted/planned to use a GPF (I am not certain if it's 2012/2013 or 2013/2014 one) as a test event.
    I remember reading the latter somewhere (i think it was a in some russian figure skating forum), but i am not sure whether it official interest or just some fan's wish.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast