Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    it's a nightmare to drive around in with almost no thoroughfares.

I'll take it.
    Funny, I drive around in it every day and sleep quite soundly at night. But I'll take it too!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Blocking March 2013 out on my calendar right now!
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alhrayth View Post
    I wondered about this too... In Torino we had Euros in 2005 before Olys2006...
    Vancouver got 4CC last year... wouldn't a GP event be too "small" compared to Olys as a test event?? From the POW of the backstage worker/organizer, it's hardly the same thing!
    I don't know if ithe Russians even applied for Euros in Sotchi. Probably not. Of course they can do with a GP event, although obviously it is a much smaller scale. Japan used the NHK Trophy as a test event for the 1998 Olympic Games.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    What country or city that has hosted Worlds recently hasn't been stable and safe?
    Not sure about stability, but there was a perceived safety issue in 2003 when Worlds was in Washington, DC and the US military invaded Iraq just a few days before it started. There were discussions about athlete withdrawals and fans not showing up, but it went off without security incidents.

Do we know where 2012 4CC is?
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Because Portugal is not an ISU member.
    Which is sad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    I don't know if ithe Russians even applied for Euros in Sotchi. Probably not. ....
    Heck, they're going to be lucky to finish construction of the venue on time for Olympics, let alone any earlier events.

I am still betting that the 2014 Olympics will be happening somewhere else. For the average Russian people and local vendors who greatly need the economic boost from the Games, I am hoping that Miracles Will Happen.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Heck, they're going to be lucky to finish construction of the venue on time for Olympics, let alone any earlier events.

I am still betting that the 2014 Olympics will be happening somewhere else. For the average Russian people and local vendors who greatly need the economic boost from the Games, I am hoping that Miracles Will Happen.
    Oki, no Sotchi then. But why not Saint Petersbourg ?

vCash
    Yes, I guess the main reason for Euros not being held in Sotchi in 2013 is the fact the ice rink will most likely not be finished by then.

vCash
    Hungary is messing up something again BIG TIME. We didn't get anything this year either! WTF!

Loved Euros in Zagreb, and consider going again. It was so cheap.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by igniculus View Post
    Hungary is messing up something again BIG TIME. We didn't get anything this year either! WTF!

Loved Euros in Zagreb, and consider going again. It was so cheap.
    I didn't like Budapest Euros at all either, but they were definitely better organised than the Zagreb ones and the arena was great.

vCash
    I like London too, but....it isn't cheap to get to. Even flying into/out of Toronto, you have to add on the cost of shuttle, train, or rental car. And the last time I checked the prices, the flights right into London airport were quite expensive compared to fares to/from Toronto.

I haven't been in the new arena there, but isn't it small(ish) compared to the size of the arenas where Worlds is usually held?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I don't think it's as big as the Saddledome or GM place.......I can't find how many seats it has, but it reminds me of no bigger than 15,000.

Flying into London is a major pita when you're coming from the west. It is expensive. It's a nice little city, the marketplace is right across from the arena, but parking is a nightmare. Definitely walk to the area if you can.
    Gone crazy. Be back soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pat c View Post
    I don't think it's as big as the Saddledome or GM place.......I can't find how many seats it has, but it reminds me of no bigger than 15,000.

Flying into London is a major pita when you're coming from the west. It is expensive. It's a nice little city, the marketplace is right across from the arena, but parking is a nightmare. Definitely walk to the area if you can.
    The JLC does not even seat 10,000 people I don't think...

I have heard that hotels are an issue in London as most of the rooms will be booked by the ISU. Where is everyone going to stay?? Flying is an absolute nightmare coming from the West. If people are flying in from other counties, this is going to be a major headache for them too I think.

Also, for the people that were saying that Winnipeg is boring and there is nothing to do there....I wonder what they will think of London?

vCash
    I'm thrilled about London hosting. The city was a great host for two Canadian Championships, and I'm sure they'll manage to work out most of the problems of holding a much bigger event before 2013. I'll be there!

vCash
    I just went and checked on the arena's website, and in the hockey configuration the seating is 9000 seats total, 6000 if only the lower bowl is used.

I would imagine the numbers would be somewhat smaller for an ISU worlds with judges/officials seats, sponsor seats, blocked off TV areas, etc.

That seems like a relatively small arena to have Worlds in, especially the year before an Olympics.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I thought it was about 10,000, but I thought surely to God it must hold more than that. huh......

Well, this is going to be a dog show getting seats for this comp. What were they thinking. There is probably hotels and b&b's outside of London, but of course that means driving and parking. And parking close to the arena is a problem. I know.....I was there in Jan.
    Gone crazy. Be back soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    4CC should go to Seattle.
    Please no.

If it's going to be in the U.S., it should be in the Midwest. We have been seriously deprived of skating events. There's plenty of rinks and great venues between Colorado, Minnesota, Illinois and Michigan.

vCash
    Hopefully in the Northeast; I'm moving to NYC and it'll be nice to finally go to an event.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    Re: London being hard to get to for Western Canadians...I've always had the opposite experience. Direct flights to London from Calgary, in the $400-range on seat sale fares. Easy peasy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luna_skater View Post
    Re: London being hard to get to for Western Canadians...I've always had the opposite experience. Direct flights to London from Calgary, in the $400-range on seat sale fares. Easy peasy.
    Direct flights from Winnipeg as well. DH flies frequently

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast