Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 117
  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    926
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pat c View Post
    London, Ontario got it. (shaking head) It's a nice city, but it's hard to get to, and parking is a nightmare.
    How is London hard to get to? Just curious and I would think they would do something about the parking (because I live here, I know how bad it can be downtown) with such an event like this, I am crossing my fingers.

    And I am SO happy about this!!! To not have to pay for a hotel room is the bees knees!

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    91
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Parking in London is a breeze when they used shuttle buses between JLC &Western Fair grounds. Very, very small city, 3 practice pads of ice at Western Fair and a cozy JLC!!! It was rockin' for Canadians both times we've hosted it as well as World Synchro a few years back!!! It's a wonderful venue, terrific volunteers and a stable, safe home country and city!!! No fear....London Ontario will be a wonderful Worlds!!!!

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    196
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    is zagreb using the same venue as 2008? Dom Sportova is old. will they use Arena Zagreb instead? but based on the feedback above, Arena is bigger than Dom Sportova. if attendance was bad in 2008 maybe it'll be best to stick with the smaller venue.

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    822
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    Will try to make the attendance in Zagreb a bit better. If I remember correctly the tickets were ridiculously cheap....
    Maybe it would be the right time to visit my cousins in Zagreb....

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    822
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    ISU World Figure Skating Championships, 10-17 March 2013,
    London (Ontario), Canada
    Does this mean the championship in the new format (with QR) will start on a Sunday?

  6. #26
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    41,882
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    12373
    Quote Originally Posted by pair mom View Post
    It's a wonderful venue, terrific volunteers and a stable, safe home country and city!!! No fear....London Ontario will be a wonderful Worlds!!!!
    What country or city that has hosted Worlds recently hasn't been stable and safe?
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    US East Coast
    Posts
    8,467
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    What country or city that has hosted Worlds recently hasn't been stable and safe?
    France in 2012. When you're that close to Didier Gailhaguet, nothing is safe or stable.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lima
    Posts
    1,491
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Really shocked they went with Zagreb again. Back in 2008 even during the final groups in the LP the arena was half empty.. Dont think it will be better this time.

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    35
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pair mom View Post
    Parking in London is a breeze when they used shuttle buses between JLC &Western Fair grounds. Very, very small city, 3 practice pads of ice at Western Fair and a cozy JLC!!! It was rockin' for Canadians both times we've hosted it as well as World Synchro a few years back!!! It's a wonderful venue, terrific volunteers and a stable, safe home country and city!!! No fear....London Ontario will be a wonderful Worlds!!!!
    We have been spoiled since 2005 - and I'm LOVIN' IT!!!!!!!

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Posts
    20,095
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    WTF??????!!!!!!

    Zagreb Europeans were A DISASTER.

    The arena was an old run down building and the male loos didn't have toilet bowls, you had to squat over a hole.

    Tickets didn't have seats attached so you had to make sure to arrive early to get good seats.

    Half of the arena (the better half, the judges side) was cordoned off for the use of skaters and officials.

    Worst Euros I have been to by far.

    Oh well, at least Zagreb is very cheap.

    As for Junior Worlds, Milano is quite expensive. :/

    And Canada obviously is ridiculously expensive, if you're European.

    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    Why can't Europeans come to Portugal?!

    Because Portugal is not an ISU member.

    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    Really shocked they went with Zagreb again. Back in 2008 even during the final groups in the LP the arena was half empty.. Dont think it will be better this time.
    They only sold the tickets for half of the arena, so no wonder the other half was empty.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 06-21-2010 at 04:21 PM.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    returned to the sekret
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,258
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I always had a good place because it wasn't like there was any audience to take my good place and I could sit with all my friends, instead of us being all scattered around the arena And all of this for 40euro!

    Besides, I loved the (insanely cheap) food one could get within seconds and the ... chairs in the official hotel
    "it doesn't matter if you love what you do, but that you do what you love"
    a quote Tomas Verner () gave me to think about...

  12. #32
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    41,882
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    12373
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron W View Post
    France in 2012. When you're that close to Didier Gailhaguet, nothing is safe or stable.
    So I take it that you won't be going to Nice then? I'll sit out on a terrace in the early spring sunshine having lunch overlooking the Med and think of you.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,836
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I do agree on the part about London being hard to get to. 2 hour drive from closest major airports (Toronto and Detroit). Not optimal.
    Although the city is only about 300K people, it's a nightmare to drive around in with almost no thoroughfares. But, once you're there, you're there.

    I'm in Toronto, but Mom lives half way in Kitchener. I guess I'm staying there and driving the 75 mins each way daily...

    I'll take it.

  14. #34

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    8,995
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15631
    I am surprised Sochi didn't get Euros, as they need to host at least one international FS event before the Olympics. I doubt 2014 Euros is likely, so probably a Cup of Russia or Grand Prix Final?

    4CC should go to Seattle.

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    wherever they cheer for Davis/White
    Posts
    1,121
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Zagreb again, really?! WHY?!

    I mean, it was bad, really bad. I could have brought anything I wanted into the arena, coz nobody ever checked me properly. If I had wanted to bring in a gun and shoot a skater, I would have done it easily. I mean, I don't think such thing could have really happened, but just saying it wasn't exactly safe, especially after Warsaw, where they had all the metal detectors or whatever and the chip cards as your all events tickets and so on. I mean, when I saw Zagreb after Warsaw I was really shocked.
    Plus, the arena was in the middle of nowhere. The practice rink was in the middle of another nowhere, very far form the main rink. And you didn't have your own seat. And the thing the first row in there is situated wayyy above the skaters' heads wasn't very pleasent either. And the attendance was bad.

    But, there are also some positive sides. Zagreb was cheap, like very cheap. And they don't have such crazily low temparetures there in the winter, so you can actually stand outside and have a little chat with the skaters instead of just rushing inside (which, for ex in Tallinn, inside was cooold as well). And the skaters hotel was just opposite the arena, so I'm guessing it must have been convenient for them. And gave the fans more opportunities to catch them for a talk and the seats problem wasn't exatly that big if you had loyal friends (made the day before ) keeping a seat for you, while you were coming back from the practice rink in the skaters' bus

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Milan, Italy
    Posts
    2,648
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I am surprised Sochi didn't get Euros, as they need to host at least one international FS event before the Olympics. I doubt 2014 Euros is likely, so probably a Cup of Russia or Grand Prix Final?

    4CC should go to Seattle.
    I wondered about this too... In Torino we had Euros in 2005 before Olys2006...
    Vancouver got 4CC last year... wouldn't a GP event be too "small" compared to Olys as a test event?? From the POW of the backstage worker/organizer, it's hardly the same thing!

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    US East Coast
    Posts
    8,467
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    So I take it that you won't be going to Nice then? I'll sit out on a terrace in the early spring sunshine having lunch overlooking the Med and think of you.
    Oh Didier doesn't scare me. I'm debating on Nice. I'd like to do the Australian Open in 2012 in Melbourne. If that doesn't happen, I'll probably go to Nice. I was there on a trip in '99 and loved it.

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Posts
    20,095
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Hmmmm I am guessing Sotchi might hold the Russian GP maybe?

    Or apply for 2013 World Team Trophy?

    Still those events are nowhere near as big as Europeans or World so it seems very strange to me they didn't get Euros.

  19. #39

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Skateland
    Posts
    7,817
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by luckiest1 View Post
    London freakin' Ontario!!!!!! Woo hoo!!!!!! Bring on the party!!!!!
    WOOOWEEEE!!!!! I'll be making it to Worlds that year, God Willing!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    143
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TRAxel View Post
    How is London hard to get to? Just curious and I would think they would do something about the parking (because I live here, I know how bad it can be downtown) with such an event like this, I am crossing my fingers.

    And I am SO happy about this!!! To not have to pay for a hotel room is the bees knees!
    Flying into London from the Western provinces is very, very difficult.... I don't know what it is like for the rest of the country. With these limited flights and the arena being on the small side, space and tickets are going to be very hard to come by...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •