Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    Don't feel bad, I will NEVER let go of the Vancouver 2010 Mens Results

You're not alone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by letsskate View Post
    LOL... but you'll probably be MORE pleased when S/S actually BEAT P/T at big competitions instead of saying.. S/S won because the main competitors retired hehe.
    Well given how consistent (NOT! ) S/S are, I think P/T are likely to have the upper hand.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Well given how consistent (NOT! ) S/S are, I think P/T are likely to have the upper hand.
    well, fingers crossed that S/S will be more consistent the next four years! If they are, they really don't need to worry about p/t

Title-less
    vCash
    Humm.. I don't really think they have been suffering from s/z's shadow, because they're just not as good as s/z. They certainly don't have the accomplishments that s/z have had, and most definitely don't have the number of memorable programs that s/z have.
    A year ago there was an article about P/T being the "forgotten pair" because of Shen/Zhao, so it's not just me saying it

Anyway, had P/T been the first pair to become world champ., they would have become what S/Z has now, regardless of their skating skills. But does any one care about the second person to land on the moon?

vCash
    How much is housing in China that even two-time World champs can't even afford a house?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    A year ago there was an article about P/T being the "forgotten pair" because of Shen/Zhao, so it's not just me saying it

Anyway, had P/T been the first pair to become world champ., they would have become what S/Z has now, regardless of their skating skills. But does any one care about the second person to land on the moon?
    humm.. I think you have a point here, but I don't think it's about the first or second.. and there're tons champions of diving, badminton, etc. in China, and they're all stars..

Like Z/Z didn't have trouble passing P/T in terms of competition results or media attention from 2006-2009, so if p/t can past s/z in the competitions, then sure the media will pay more attention to them as well

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    How much is housing in China that even two-time World champs can't even afford a house?
    I think it's because the Chinese skaters don't get to keep their prize money... or only a small portion of it... that's what I heard, but someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Title-less
    vCash
    humm.. I think you have a point here, but I don't think it's about the first or second.. and there're tons champions of diving, badminton, etc. in China, and they're all stars..

Like Z/Z didn't have trouble passing P/T in terms of competition results or media attention from 2006-2009, so if p/t can past s/z in the competitions, then sure the media will pay more attention to them as well
    Do you know for sure that Z/Z bypassed P/T in media attention in China or are you going by what's covered in the western press?

There're tons of champions yes, but pioneers like Li Ning and Chen Lu will always be something special. Why else is YuNa such a big deal in Korea?

I think it's because the Chinese skaters don't get to keep their prize money... or only a small portion of it... that's what I heard, but someone correct me if i'm wrong.
    Going by recent invite lists, P/T doesn't seem to be doing as many shows as S/Z, so there's $$ there too. BUt I can be wrong on that one.

vCash
    Do you know for sure that Z/Z bypassed P/T in media attention in China or are you going by what's covered in the western press?

There're tons of champions yes, but pioneers like Li Ning and Chen Lu will always be something special. Why else is YuNa such a big deal in Korea?

Going by recent invite lists, P/T doesn't seem to be doing as many shows as S/Z, so there's $$ there too. BUt I can be wrong on that one.
    I have some Chinese friends, and a couple years ago, they're telling me it's all about z/z in the media, and people rarely mentioned p/t....

and about the $$ from show, as far as I understand it, if you're still part of the Chinese National team, you have to give a major portion of your earning even from the show to the national team, not to mention the prize money from competition... so of course they don't have money..

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    and about the $$ from show, as far as I understand it, if you're still part of the Chinese National team, you have to give a major portion of your earning even from the show to the national team, not to mention the prize money from competition... so of course they don't have money..
    So I guess they were subtly saying they're never gonna get married

Title-less
    vCash
    All Chinese team members do that ala the Russian system, but that doesn't explain the whole story.
    Just look at the media events S/Z go to (http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2010-06-...25045419.shtml). I'm sure they got $$$ out of them, while the other pairs... (shrugs)

Looks like S/Z appeals to the public because they have a romantic Cinderella story that goes with their success. P/T probably has a similar story too but the guy didn't propose on the ice or come back after an archilles tendon injury or anything like that.

I guess S/Z is successful and sexy and that's why they got their BMWs. (see my thread in GSD)

vCash
    Wow, Pang and Tong will both be 34 by the 2014 Sochi Olympics. I'm still not convinced that Shen/Zhao will not make another comeback for Sochi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icedance21 View Post
    I'm still not convinced that Shen/Zhao will not make another comeback for Sochi.
    All they need is an Olympic silver to finish their collection!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icedance21 View Post
    Wow, Pang and Tong will both be 34 by the 2014 Sochi Olympics.
    Well the tone of the article I read is more like they "aim" for Sochi.

vCash
    All Chinese team members do that ala the Russian system, but that doesn't explain the whole story.
    Just look at the media events S/Z go to (http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2010-06-...25045419.shtml). I'm sure they got $$$ out of them, while the other pairs... (shrugs)

Looks like S/Z appeals to the public because they have a romantic Cinderella story that goes with their success. P/T probably has a similar story too but the guy didn't propose on the ice or come back after an archilles tendon injury or anything like that.

I guess S/Z is successful and sexy and that's why they got their BMWs. (see my thread in GSD)
    ehh, don't take it that i prefer s/z over p/t.. that's not the case at all. I used to be really gutted for p/t the past couple seasons.. but i mean, when you compare to s/z, s/z have one gold, two bronze olympic medals, p/t only a silver, and if you compare the world championship medals, gpf results.. just not comparable..

p/t will get the attention when they have those results, their time will come

Also, I think s/z are getting so much media stuff is because they're now retired

Title-less
    vCash
    ehh, don't take it that i prefer s/z over p/t.. that's not the case at all. I used to be really gutted for p/t the past couple seasons.. but i mean, when you compare to s/z, s/z have one gold, two bronze olympic medals, p/t only a silver, and if you compare the world championship medals, gpf results.. just not comparable..

p/t will get the attention when they have those results, their time will come

Also, I think s/z are getting so much media stuff is because they're now retired
    I'm analysing the issue from the angle of their marketability, timing and other issues. Our personal preference has nothing to do with it. The generic reasons of federation cuts, medal counts, etc, play in but no more so than in other cases in China. They don't explain how one Olympic gold medalist got all the glory while others needed public assitance (there was a story a while back on this).

I don't think whether S/Z are retired has that much to do with $$$. THey've had media attention before. Guo JIng Jing was among the top earning athletes in Asia before YuNa topped her and Guo wasn't retired then. Did you actually find some assertions of the kind in Chinese news?

Do you really think P/T's time will come ala Shen/Zhao? I personally think their time re: media will never come even if they get Olympic gold in 2014. They are just not as marketable. Everything they've done S/Z has done already and in a perfect "fairy-tale" manner. If you read the news story link re: S/Z, it's clear their marketability has much to do with their story.
    Last edited by jlai; 06-22-2010 at 06:06 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    From what I know, a house in a large Chinese city is quite rare - extremely expensive, actually - and most people live in apartments. It's possible P/T mean just housing in general, including apartments, but otherwise, a house is hard to come by for anyone.

I love P/T, but as of now, I don't see them as legitimate Olympic gold material. As amazing as their performances in Vancouver were, they certainly didn't match S/Z at their best, such as S/Z at 2003 Worlds, 2004 GP and Worlds, and the 2005 GP. They may have been in the shadows of S/Z for awhile, but I don't think their level at that time was ever even close. Their skating skills, for example, are lacking compared to S/Z and the other teams.

vCash
    I wouldnt be surprise if Pang & Tong go to Sochi. I am sure the Olympic Gold is a dream for them, Aliona & Robin, as well as the Russians, and that is why I think all those teams will be there. Plus I doubt the Chinese federation will let them retire easily as they wont want the Zhangs to ever be their #1 team again. They want to still be in the running for gold medals and be virtually certain to get a medal of some kind at major events after all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shady82 View Post
    I love P/T, but as of now, I don't see them as legitimate Olympic gold material. As amazing as their performances in Vancouver were, they certainly didn't match S/Z at their best, such as S/Z at 2003 Worlds, 2004 GP and Worlds, and the 2005 GP. They may have been in the shadows of S/Z for awhile, but I don't think their level at that time was ever even close. Their skating skills, for example, are lacking compared to S/Z and the other teams.
    Lets face it, there isnt anyway S&Z will ever skate as amateurs again. To win gold in 2014 wont require beating S&Z. It will require beating many of the teams that are there now, and possibly some emerging top teams over the next several years. The only current team potentially clearly superior to P&T are S&S and at the moment their consistency issues give P&T a chance to beat them. K&M are potentially a threat and are even more inconsistent than S&S. Of course alot can happen in 4 years.

Will be interesting to see if Dube & Davison can ever really become a top team again or if they ever go for 2014. How the American pairs progress especialy Denney & Barrett. How the up and coming Chinese and maybe Japanese teams develop. And how that Volosozhar & Trankov combo pair out, can they even become a dominant or Championship team.

vCash
    I'm very happy Pang and Tong are staying. The world scene needs them, and I doubt they are being "forced" to stay. They came into their own last season, and it only makes sense they won't to carry on!

It is, however, sad that a couple that has contributed so much to world and chinese skating over the past decade still cannot afford a house. Someone get them some sponsors.... they really deserve it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast