vCash

Robyn is back with a super cool video!

Robyn - Dancing On My Own

Yay!

I love Robyn's feistyness, her attitude and her original image so different from the usual Britney clone.

Great electropop as you could come to expect from her.

I didn't like this song at first hearing but it's definitely a grower. And the video is just so cool! Just charted at number 8 in the UK.

If you've never heard Robyn before, here are her two biggest hits:

Robyn feat. Kleerup - With Every Heartbeat

Robyn - Be Mine
    (absolutely amazing video that one too)

vCash
    The song that people in the USA would know much better than those two is Show Me Love, or Do You Know What It Takes. I've heard both of those frequently practically my whole life, especially the former, but I've never heard the two you linked to.

I remember seeing her on All That when I was a kid but that's about it . But the stuff you linked to is fun; I'll look into her more!

vCash
    Thanks for posting, Ziggy!

If any of you watched SYTYCD a couple seasons ago, there was a group number to Cobrastyle, one of my favorite songs by Robyn
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zVECruSI3k

Cobrastyle is off of the same album as Be Mine and With Every Heartbeat. Actually, I love that whole album. When I wanna show my independent, feisty side while cruising in the car, I blast Robyn

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I love Robyn! I absolutely love this song, so different but it just stays with me:

-Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    The song that people in the USA would know much better than those two is Show Me Love, or Do You Know What It Takes. I've heard both of those frequently practically my whole life, especially the former, but I've never heard the two you linked to.

I remember seeing her on All That when I was a kid but that's about it . But the stuff you linked to is fun; I'll look into her more!
    There was a time when Robyn's label tried to promote her in the US (not sure if the songs you mentioned come from that period - probably). She ended up leaving that label though because she felt she was being forced to become "another Britney/Aguilera" and her artistic freedom was very constrained.

The last "Robyn" album and the "Body Talk, Pt. 1" that is coming out now definitely represent the kind of artistic direction she has chosen herself and both have been released through Interscope on her own record label Konnichiwa Records.

She did try to promote her album in the US and did a few concerts but didn't get a budget to do proper promotion, hence most people wouldn't have heard about those songs.

Quote Originally Posted by DynamicMutation View Post
    Thanks for posting, Ziggy!

If any of you watched SYTYCD a couple seasons ago, there was a group number to Cobrastyle, one of my favorite songs by Robyn

Cobrastyle is off of the same album as Be Mine and With Every Heartbeat. Actually, I love that whole album. When I wanna show my independent, feisty side while cruising in the car, I blast Robyn
    Thanks for the link! I adore Cobrastyle, my favourite song from that album.

vCash
    Both those songs were from 1997. She was big in the US the same year as the Spice Girls, Aqua, Hanson, etc., so, she couldn't possibly have been complaining about being forced into a Spears/Aguilera mold at the time... they didn't exist yet

That said, those songs are rather different from the stuff you posted. Show Me Love is still really quite popular on the US airwaves though. I never quite knew that that was Robyn, but I remembered her name, for some reason, from so long ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Both those songs were from 1997. She was big in the US the same year as the Spice Girls, Aqua, Hanson, etc., so, she couldn't possibly have been complaining about being forced into a Spears/Aguilera mold at the time... they didn't exist yet
    The Spears/Aguilera mold was my own words, I think she has put it differently. I am pretty sure that's the period she was referring to, after having listened to those songs. They are so different to the stuff she makes nowadays, it's really funny! You'd never imagine it was the same person.

vCash
    I know, it's very interesting. I actually really like her 90's stuff :shuffle Show Me Love is a good example of how to do a simply pop tune and do it well, I think, which is probably why it's still popular.

vCash
    It's weird how I have never heard this song until now, yet it's very popular in the US.

I guess that was her main market back then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    It's weird how I have never heard this song until now, yet it's very popular in the US.

I guess that was her main market back then.
    well, "Show Me Love," "Do You Know What It Takes," plus "You've Got That Something" were quite big in Poland, Germany and, naturally, her native Sweden .
    still, I like her more recent works best .

vCash
    Dancing on My Own seems to be getting some club play in the States and it's not that bad of a song really. I totally loved Konichiwa Bitches from a few years back.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I had Dancing On My Own in my head all freakin day yesterday
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Show Me Love was awesome. That was my favorite song when I was in 2nd-3rd grade. If I recall right, Max Martin wrote that song. I swear, that man is a pop music genius.

I love Dancing on My Own! I just D/Led it yesterday and its superfun.