Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,509
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Robyn is back with a super cool video!

    Robyn - Dancing On My Own

    Yay!

    I love Robyn's feistyness, her attitude and her original image so different from the usual Britney clone.

    Great electropop as you could come to expect from her.

    I didn't like this song at first hearing but it's definitely a grower. And the video is just so cool! Just charted at number 8 in the UK.

    If you've never heard Robyn before, here are her two biggest hits:

    Robyn feat. Kleerup - With Every Heartbeat

    Robyn - Be Mine
    (absolutely amazing video that one too)

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Age
    25
    Posts
    9,109
    vCash
    1529
    Rep Power
    0
    The song that people in the USA would know much better than those two is Show Me Love, or Do You Know What It Takes. I've heard both of those frequently practically my whole life, especially the former, but I've never heard the two you linked to.

    I remember seeing her on All That when I was a kid but that's about it . But the stuff you linked to is fun; I'll look into her more!

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    freezing my arse!
    Posts
    156
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks for posting, Ziggy!

    If any of you watched SYTYCD a couple seasons ago, there was a group number to Cobrastyle, one of my favorite songs by Robyn
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zVECruSI3k

    Cobrastyle is off of the same album as Be Mine and With Every Heartbeat. Actually, I love that whole album. When I wanna show my independent, feisty side while cruising in the car, I blast Robyn

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    32
    Posts
    20,724
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    35872
    I love Robyn! I absolutely love this song, so different but it just stays with me:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zVECruSI3k
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,509
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    The song that people in the USA would know much better than those two is Show Me Love, or Do You Know What It Takes. I've heard both of those frequently practically my whole life, especially the former, but I've never heard the two you linked to.

    I remember seeing her on All That when I was a kid but that's about it . But the stuff you linked to is fun; I'll look into her more!
    There was a time when Robyn's label tried to promote her in the US (not sure if the songs you mentioned come from that period - probably). She ended up leaving that label though because she felt she was being forced to become "another Britney/Aguilera" and her artistic freedom was very constrained.

    The last "Robyn" album and the "Body Talk, Pt. 1" that is coming out now definitely represent the kind of artistic direction she has chosen herself and both have been released through Interscope on her own record label Konnichiwa Records.

    She did try to promote her album in the US and did a few concerts but didn't get a budget to do proper promotion, hence most people wouldn't have heard about those songs.

    Quote Originally Posted by DynamicMutation View Post
    Thanks for posting, Ziggy!

    If any of you watched SYTYCD a couple seasons ago, there was a group number to Cobrastyle, one of my favorite songs by Robyn
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zVECruSI3k

    Cobrastyle is off of the same album as Be Mine and With Every Heartbeat. Actually, I love that whole album. When I wanna show my independent, feisty side while cruising in the car, I blast Robyn
    Thanks for the link! I adore Cobrastyle, my favourite song from that album.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Age
    25
    Posts
    9,109
    vCash
    1529
    Rep Power
    0
    Both those songs were from 1997. She was big in the US the same year as the Spice Girls, Aqua, Hanson, etc., so, she couldn't possibly have been complaining about being forced into a Spears/Aguilera mold at the time... they didn't exist yet

    That said, those songs are rather different from the stuff you posted. Show Me Love is still really quite popular on the US airwaves though. I never quite knew that that was Robyn, but I remembered her name, for some reason, from so long ago.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,509
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Both those songs were from 1997. She was big in the US the same year as the Spice Girls, Aqua, Hanson, etc., so, she couldn't possibly have been complaining about being forced into a Spears/Aguilera mold at the time... they didn't exist yet
    The Spears/Aguilera mold was my own words, I think she has put it differently. I am pretty sure that's the period she was referring to, after having listened to those songs. They are so different to the stuff she makes nowadays, it's really funny! You'd never imagine it was the same person.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Age
    25
    Posts
    9,109
    vCash
    1529
    Rep Power
    0
    I know, it's very interesting. I actually really like her 90's stuff :shuffle Show Me Love is a good example of how to do a simply pop tune and do it well, I think, which is probably why it's still popular.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,509
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It's weird how I have never heard this song until now, yet it's very popular in the US.

    I guess that was her main market back then.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    in the centre
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,559
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2426
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    It's weird how I have never heard this song until now, yet it's very popular in the US.

    I guess that was her main market back then.
    well, "Show Me Love," "Do You Know What It Takes," plus "You've Got That Something" were quite big in Poland, Germany and, naturally, her native Sweden .
    still, I like her more recent works best .

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Missing Matsutake
    Posts
    2,737
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Dancing on My Own seems to be getting some club play in the States and it's not that bad of a song really. I totally loved Konichiwa Bitches from a few years back.

  12. #12
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    c'est genifique!
    Posts
    29,987
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    40216
    I had Dancing On My Own in my head all freakin day yesterday
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sochi voids
    Age
    25
    Posts
    2,137
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Show Me Love was awesome. That was my favorite song when I was in 2nd-3rd grade. If I recall right, Max Martin wrote that song. I swear, that man is a pop music genius.

    I love Dancing on My Own! I just D/Led it yesterday and its superfun.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •