vCash

Skates for a total beginner - Riedell or Jackson

First of all, hi. I'm new here. (am I totally blind or is search not available to new members? i would have searched to see if such a topic was already opened in the past, but I don't see a search button)

I went to a specialty store yesterday to buy me some skates as I want to start taking lessons. It seems really hard for me to figure out which ones will end up (after they stretch and what not) being the most comfortable for me. But right now I wanna ask about the rise of Jacksons vs Riedells on the ankle. Jackson - higher, Riedell - lower. Is it just a matter of personal preference and comfort or are there other things to consider about that?

vCash
    Which skate fits your foot is more important. I have a really wide foot and the riedells I have never fit me right. I have Jackson's now and they are great for my foot. You should also be sure to get a true beginnger skate. A more expensive skate and blade will NOT make you a better skater. It will make skating harder something like a Jackon Classique or a Riedell 133TS might be good for you to learn in and one you start jumping, spinning and really skating you will want an upgrade to a more expensive skate like a Jackson Competitior or Riedell 255TS, but still not a $900 total skate. After you learn an axel or some double and the skate starts to break down you will need the expensive blades and boots. This is how I did it but others might have more skate information.

The only reason I'm mentioning the expensive stuff is because I know some proshops will try to get a total beginnger to believe they need Jackson Elites with Gold Seal blades. Its happened before where I live and its not a good idea.

vCash
    southernskater, thank you for your advice. It seems that the place I went to was really nice. They absolutely did not push anything way too much on me. Jackson Classique were the top choice yesterday. I forgot which exact model of Riedell I tried on, but it was something of a similar level.

vCash
    I actually used recreational skates until I had to do a bunny hop on toe picks, it was very easy on the ankle and no break in needed at all.
    After that I had a used pair of Jackson Classique, took a while to break in and adjust blade and what not, but absolutely love it afterward. Pro shop is saying these skates should last me through the single jumps as long as the landing is secure.
    Good luck!

vCash
    Skates don' stretch. But they will soften and the padding around the ankles will mould to fit around your ankles.

Agree about Jacksons being great for wide feet.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Skates don' stretch. But they will soften and the padding around the ankles will mould to fit around your ankles.
    That is what I meant in my head - soften and mold to the shape of my foot.

I always buy medium width shoes, but the salesperson at the store thought that my foot is a little wide and that Jackson will fit it better.

So the height of the boot over the ankle is not that important? Is Jackson Classique too much for a very beginner? Or will it be good once I break into the skates?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vize View Post

I always buy medium width shoes, but the salesperson at the store thought that my foot is a little wide and that Jackson will fit it better.

So the height of the boot over the ankle is not that important? Is Jackson Classique too much for a very beginner? Or will it be good once I break into the skates?
    Maybe you could use rentals for the first weeks until you decide? They're not the greatest, but if you are taking like Basic 1 or an Adult class you might be able to get away with rentals for a session or two then move up to the Classiques?

vCash
    southernskater, I'll be taking an adult class. Hmmm about rentals. May be for the first couple of times I could get by just to sort of get used to the feeling of skates on my foot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vize View Post

I personally think that some boots are a bit high around the ankle. I skate in dance boots now, but my last pair of figure boots I never skated with the top hook done up because I wanted some ankle flexion. They were Jackson Elite Supreme and I thought they were a bit high.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    IMO even very low-end figure skates from sport stores will be better than rentals. Most rentals at my rink has no ankle support whatsoever.
    See if this chart helps: http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/skate...ateselect.html

Banned Member
    vCash
    Go to a shop that specializes in figure skates explain that you are a beginner. Most likely the cost should be about $200 or less for a decent well made and supportive skate. The blades are usually included. Jackson brand has nice beginner skates. Good Luck and do not be seduced by a sporting goods.
    Without fear you cannot find courage

vCash
    MOIJTO, that is exactly what I did. And they thought that Jackson Classique was my best option. It was about $150 with Ultima Mirage blades included. But it concerned me that they were so high up above my ankle and I am afraid that may be too much. But as a beginner, it is hard to judge what I will feel comfortable in down the line.

vCash
    I started taking LTS lessons 1.5 years ago, and the first 6 months I just had the rental skates, and they were fine for that, and for figuring out if I wanted to keep taking lessons.

After that I got some Riedells, Bronze-something-something, and I have been happy with them.

I see a lot of people get skates that look really flimsy around the ankle, I would not want that. If you are an adult, keep in mind that your feet don't grow, and you a probably better off with something that is not super-cheap, it sounds like you are not doing that though!

vCash
    I'm sure they'll be a great skate for you!

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jjane45 View Post
    IMO even very low-end figure skates from sport stores will be better than rentals. Most rentals at my rink has no ankle support whatsoever.
    See if this chart helps: http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/skate...ateselect.html
    I wouldn't necessarily pay much attention to that list. For starters the Jacksons disappear off their list when I know at least one male skater who uses them exclusively and is competitive Senior Men's Free on a National level (3as, Quads.) Jackson has models for higher-level skaters and it's mostly to do with foot fit. I wouldn't stop wearing them if I got to a higher level.

Find the brand that fits your foot. For me, Jacksons work, Riedells would destroy my feet. My fitter wouldn't even suggest them.

vCash
    Vize - The only issue with boots that come up higher is that it will be a little harder to get that forward range of motion in your ankles (i.e., harder to bend your knees deeply or point your toes). But that is easily remedied. Just lace them up to the 2nd hook from the top, not all the way up to the top hook.