Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I don't know about her giving speeches about stopping drug use, that's more for people who have proven they are no longer using or have stopped using for a long period of time. I don't know if she is using or ever did but someone who is currently is going through a drug case isn't really going to sound so convincing for such a platform.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_E View Post
    Not sure if this was posted anywhere but I found this recent performance of hers on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0AikHuVdD0

Far from her best form but it was nice to see her skate again.
    Was this performance before her arrest? I think she looks great in this, its amazing how fast meth can ruin your life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnipeg View Post
    Maybe the judge will give her community service and parole instead of jail?
    Unlikely, the Reagan laws are still in effect in many states requiring mandatory prison time for most drug offenses. I'm guessing the sentence wont be anything less than a year and in a medium/max, not a minimum security facility. I don't have time to look up the sentencing guidelines for this charge... perhaps someone else might.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Are you saying that the judges should make an exception for Bobek because she's Bobek?

I think her sentence should be no less than is the standard. Otherwise the message given will be there is one justice system for the famous and/or rich and another for 'ordinary' people.

Good point

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    Was this performance before her arrest? I think she looks great in this, its amazing how fast meth can ruin your life.
    Actually I think it was after. I think she did two local shows in December around Christmas time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    Unlikely, the Reagan laws are still in effect in many states requiring mandatory prison time for most drug offenses. I'm guessing the sentence wont be anything less than a year and in a medium/max, not a minimum security facility. I don't have time to look up the sentencing guidelines for this charge... perhaps someone else might.
    Is the Hudson County jail a medium/maximum security facility? According to the original post in this thread, that is where the prosecutor is supposedly she spend a year (although for the charge she plea bargained down to, probation would be possible, though not likely). It doesn't sound like they are going for the max (5 years), but that she won't just get a slap on the wrist.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Hudson County Correctional Center is minimum security.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    The problem is that sometimes these drug addicts NEED prison. Need the wakeup call. Hello, Lindsay Lohan? Addiction is such a sad thing, because if not for this 'failing', they could be otherwise law abiding citizens. So, is jail the right place? Mandatory rehab? It's a tough situation.
    I don't think a few months in jail will harden someone like Nicole. She's already probably pretty hardened by her life as is. But maybe this will force her to confront her issues and learn to make an honest wage and set her life on a different path. She never was the innocent ice princess, so now she has to figure out what will get her to the next (law abiding) phase in her life.
    I hope she gets a few months in jail, mandatory rehab, and realizes what she has done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceKween View Post
    The problem is that sometimes these drug addicts NEED prison. Need the wakeup call. Hello, Lindsay Lohan? Addiction is such a sad thing, because if not for this 'failing', they could be otherwise law abiding citizens. So, is jail the right place? Mandatory rehab? It's a tough situation.
    I don't think a few months in jail will harden someone like Nicole. She's already probably pretty hardened by her life as is. But maybe this will force her to confront her issues and learn to make an honest wage and set her life on a different path. She never was the innocent ice princess, so now she has to figure out what will get her to the next (law abiding) phase in her life.
    I hope she gets a few months in jail, mandatory rehab, and realizes what she has done.
    But she isn't just a drug addict (has that ever been confirmed by the way?), she is a drug dealer. That's a big difference. She didn't just keep it for herself, didn't just ruin her life - she also contributed to other people's attempts to ruin their lives. She consciously got involved in distributing illegal drugs, and it never sounded as if it was a minor role she played.

I am not sure how she could not go to prison. Community service is for people who - I don't know - got drunk and then accidentally ravaged the neighbour's garden. Or graffitied the town hall. At least that's my impression.

vCash
    I would like to add this link:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/figure...amy&id=4389556

It's old article, but interesting.
    I didn't know all this, it's so sad.

Regards
    Tara

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_E View Post
    Not sure if this was posted anywhere but I found this recent performance of hers on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0AikHuVdD0

Far from her best form but it was nice to see her skate again.
    It's kind of eery to hear her skate to that song since it's from a movie based on Janis Joplin's life. But, she's still a beautiful skater. She was my favorite female skater from that era. I was always hoping that she would be able to start putting a series of great competitions together. But, on the bright side, she prepared me well for being a Jeremy Abbott fan.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Honestly, I think drug dealers are the scum of the earth.

If it wasn't Nicole Bobek -- who I feel like I watched grow up and always hoped would get her act together some day -- I would probably be screaming for the maximum penalty.

So I remind myself that she's still a drug dealer and that makes her scum. No matter how pretty her spiral is or how exciting it was to watch her win the National title in San Jose all those years ago.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post

If it wasn't Nicole Bobek -- who I feel like I watched grow up and always hoped would get her act together some day -- I would probably be screaming for the maximum penalty.

So I remind myself that she's still a drug dealer and that makes her scum. No matter how pretty her spiral is or how exciting it was to watch her win the National title in San Jose all those years ago.
    Bobek won her '95 National title in Providence, Rhode Island. Kwan won her first National title in San Jose the following year.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Bobek won her '95 National title in Providence, Rhode Island. Kwan won her first National title in San Jose the following year.
    Duh. '96 was the year Bobek withdrew and wasn't given a medical bye to Worlds. It was very heartbreaking.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    I guess today is the day.................

vCash
    People aren't scum. People do rotten things, but they aren't scum. There's almost always a chance to change and try to make amends, if they really want it.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Whatever happens today, I'm sure that this isn't the course that Nicole wanted/expected for her life.
    I hope that she can get whatever help she needs so that she really can begin anew, after her legal obligations are completed.

vCash

So, everyone's just the same to you?
    I don't know what led to Bobek dealing drugs and I don't say it's an excuse but I know that I've been protected enough and have the support in my family to (hopefully) never get into a situation like that.
    Those who belong to the drug cartels are different to me than someone like Bobek. Yes, she dealt drugs, yes she committed a crime and she should be punished accordingly. But I wouldn't be surprised that with her background she had some very different problems which resulted in what they resulted in. If people weren't so ignorant to psychological problems these days and wouldn't frown upon people seeing psychologists a lot of things would turn out differently and Bobek's path might have turned out differently as well.
    Some people are strong enough to fight their way through life, other's aren't. Bobek wasn't. She's paying the price now but I don't know if I would put her right up there with every other drug dealer... What about the 11 year old kids they're using to deal drugs in Berlin? They're scum, too?

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    If people weren't so ignorant to psychological problems these days and wouldn't frown upon people seeing psychologists a lot of things would turn out differently and Bobek's path might have turned out differently as well.
    Some people are strong enough to fight their way through life, other's aren't.
    Plus, some people have a great deal more to fight against than others who are more privileged (and I don't mean this in a purely monetary sense - there are a huge number of other factors such as having a supportive family, not suffering the experience of personal tragedy, psychological or physical illness and so on).

However, I don't know that much about Bobek's personal life so am not relating the above comment to her particularly.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Quite a few of the comments above about people who are psychologically injured, troubled, etc. and the help they need apply so well to those who use any drug (including overuse of alcohol) to escape their own personal pain and dysfunction. I know about this from personal experience.

However, dealing drugs, selling harmful substances to others takes this to another level and an uglier one. I don't equate the people who are dealing with the people who are using. Neither is good; both can result from family problems but they are not in any way comparable IMHO. Dealers live on a lower rung in Hades.

She has made a mess of her life. Drug dealers profit off the pain and misery of others so while I wished better for her when she left skating, I feel very little sympathy for where she is this particular day. She earned this. She can change, can atone and I hope she does and gets a new start. She would have my support to do that.
    Last edited by Willowway; 08-05-2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast