Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    She's a world championship bronze medallist...how can one acheive that without having their life together? I will probably never do anything on the world stage to rival that. And dare I say that neither will the great majority of posters here at FSU either?
    On the world stage, what does it matter at the end of the day? If you saved someone's life, even if only you and that person knew about it, it would top any medals you could ever get.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnipeg View Post
    It might - it has for others - she will have lots of time to think, stay away from the wrong crowd, get counselling, study, etc.?
    In jail????

She's more likely to make connections for her next deal when she's out than talk to anyone who thinks drug dealing is a crime in there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
    In jail????

She's more likely to make connections for her next deal when she's out than talk to anyone who thinks drug dealing is a crime in there.
    Maybe I was being a bit too optimistic but I hope that she does avail herself of any programs to get back on track so she doesn't waste the time. What a shame really.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    On the world stage, what does it matter at the end of the day? If you saved someone's life, even if only you and that person knew about it, it would top any medals you could ever get.
    Geez, this belongs in the Tonya Harding thread because Tonya did help save a life. However no one would accuse her of having her life together:

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/10/29/sp...l?pagewanted=1

TONYA HARDING, a villainess in public minds during an Olympic figure skating fiasco with NANCY KERRIGAN in 1994, was being saluted as a hero yesterday, after helping to save a woman's life Sunday night at a bar in suburban Portland, Ore., near her home. Shortly after Harding and her godmother LINDA LEWIS stopped at the Lost and Found Saloon to play video poker, ALICE OLSON, 81, collapsed and stopped breathing. Harding called 911 with her cellular phone and administered mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

vCash
    It must be hard to sit around for 6 weeks not knowing what your sentence will be. I guess it gives you time to prepare for the worst case scenario? Seems like it would be terribly stressful.

vCash
    Over the weekend, I was watching a videotape of her from about eight or ten years ago, and I thought about how much talent and charisma she had, but how tragic it was that she couldn't manage to really put it all together into her skating career. Even with the inconsistencies over her career, she was charming to watch.

Yes, she has a world bronze...but she was capable of so much more. I don't think that the medal count is indicative of "having it all together". It's just a sampling of what was possible. Tonya Harding & Christopher Bowman have already been mentioned - I'd add Oksana Baiul to that list. I'd also like to mention Michelle Kwan, Kurt Browning and Elvis Stojko - I'd say they've done well, but no Olympic gold for any of them - does that mean that they DON'T have it all together? I think that they do, in the ways that count more than Olympic medals.

As for jail time, it's pretty well-known that recidivism is high - Nicole Bobek is more likely to learn some new tricks for when she gets out than to be reahabilitated.

vCash
    I know this comment belongs in PI but since we had a discussion about gay parenting already, putting drug users (and minor dealers) in prison is so counterproductive. A really pointless waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedwitch View Post
    At least it will get her off meth.
    Maybe, maybe not. Drugs are available in many prisons. She'll also start mixing with a really bad crowd and might end up making much more connections to the criminal world.

And when she gets out of prison, it's not like job offers are going to be plentiful and it's going to be easy to revert back to dealing as a source of income.

Very sad, it's a cycle that is so difficult to break.

Even sadder that it's not some random Jenny from the Bronx we're talking about. Bobek had the potential to be a multiple World and Olympic medalist. As someone already mentioned, she had absolutely stunning looks to go with it meaning she could be living off endorsements and tv appearances for years to come after finishing her eligible career.

Such a shame.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    Poor Nicole. So August 5th is the date, well at least she only has about three more sleeps before she finds out her sentence...
    Am I the only one who caught this?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8junkie View Post
    Yes, she has a world bronze...but she was capable of so much more. I don't think that the medal count is indicative of "having it all together". It's just a sampling of what was possible. Tonya Harding & Christopher Bowman have already been mentioned - I'd add Oksana Baiul to that list. I'd also like to mention Michelle Kwan, Kurt Browning and Elvis Stojko - I'd say they've done well, but no Olympic gold for any of them - does that mean that they DON'T have it all together? I think that they do, in the ways that count more than Olympic medals.
    I must agree. Any human who does not have an Olympic gold medal is wasting space on our planet. Planet Earth is so over-populated. The losers should ingest as many pills as humanly possible and make room for talent. Mind you, they probably will screw THAT up too!

P.S. In case I was not clear, Olympic silver and bronze medallists are losers, too. They should off themselves also.

/rant
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    I must agree. Any human who does not have an Olympic gold medal is wasting space on our planet.
    ITA

P.S. In case I was not clear, Olympic silver and bronze medallists are losers, too. They should off themselves also.
    But sometimes it's so hard to get an olympic medal. How about keeping bronze medallists as losers, and calling silver medallists huge underachievers?

vCash
    Actually the Olympic gold medalists are all losers as well unless they broke the 3 gold record like Sonja Henie. Just saying. And don't try to spin it and say any skater today could beat Sonja's record if we just beamed them back into time.

Yes I'm kidding

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I know this comment belongs in PI but since we had a discussion about gay parenting already, putting drug users (and minor dealers) in prison is so counterproductive. A really pointless waste of money.

Maybe, maybe not. Drugs are available in many prisons. She'll also start mixing with a really bad crowd and might end up making much more connections to the criminal world.

And when she gets out of prison, it's not like job offers are going to be plentiful and it's going to be easy to revert back to dealing as a source of income.

Very sad, it's a cycle that is so difficult to break.

Even sadder that it's not some random Jenny from the Bronx we're talking about. Bobek had the potential to be a multiple World and Olympic medalist. As someone already mentioned, she had absolutely stunning looks to go with it meaning she could be living off endorsements and tv appearances for years to come after finishing her eligible career.

Such a shame.
    Totally agree with this, prison is not going to help her at all. I hope she just gets the help she needs whether that rehab or whatever but not prison.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    But sometimes it's so hard to get an olympic medal. How about keeping bronze medallists as losers, and calling silver medallists huge underachievers
    NOO WAY FOR THEY AER LOOSERS AND MUST DIE IMEDIATLY
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I must agree. Any human who does not have an Olympic gold medal is wasting space on our planet. Planet Earth is so over-populated. The losers should ingest as many pills as humanly possible and make room for talent. Mind you, they probably will screw THAT up too!

/rant
    Excuse me, but I think the point of that post was that these skaters without Olympic gold definitely have it together even though they missed what was presumably their ultimately goal because they persevered, stuck to their task, followed the rules they were given and had great work ethics.

Nicole definitely had a lot of potential, and like Tonya Harding and Chris Bowman before her, she was screwed by herself, not by USFS or anyone else. Hopefully she might be able to get her life together in the future.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    WOW, have her looks ever changed!!!! For the worst!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Excuse me, but I think the point of that post was that these skaters without Olympic gold definitely have it together even though they missed what was presumably their ultimately goal because they persevered, stuck to their task, followed the rules they were given and had great work ethics.

Nicole definitely had a lot of potential, and like Tonya Harding and Chris Bowman before her, she was screwed by herself, not by USFS or anyone else. Hopefully she might be able to get her life together in the future.
    Yes.
    I think that this sad story serves as a reminder that being blessed with extraordinary gifts is not a free pass to extraordinary success. Along with the talent comes the responsibility to develop it, and some people are able to embrace that fully and some are not. Nicole appeared to have enormous potential... beauty, a strong and graceful body, musicality, a competitive spirit, and she clearly worked at developing it, and although she had some great success, she didn't achieve the greatness that many expected her to achieve. But, I wouldn't lay that at her feet. I'd simply say that she just didn't have something she needed to take her over the top.

vCash
    Maybe the judge will give her community service and parole instead of jail? Jail does seem counter productive? She could go and give speeches to high school kids about not getting involved in drugs etc?

Teach skating or dance to less fortunate kids?

Alternatively, a low security prison where she could lead the inmates in exercises etc? Didn't Martha Stewart do this?

vCash
    Not sure if this was posted anywhere but I found this recent performance of hers on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0AikHuVdD0

Far from her best form but it was nice to see her skate again.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    That wasn't bad skating for such a small rink. Her only jumps were a single axel and a double toe but to be fair, not much else could have been managed on such a tiny rink. I always loved her glide over the ice, there was something special about it.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnipeg View Post
    Maybe the judge will give her community service and parole instead of jail? Jail does seem counter productive? She could go and give speeches to high school kids about not getting involved in drugs etc?

Teach skating or dance to less fortunate kids?

Alternatively, a low security prison where she could lead the inmates in exercises etc? Didn't Martha Stewart do this?
    Are you saying that the judges should make an exception for Bobek because she's Bobek?

I think her sentence should be no less than is the standard. Otherwise the message given will be there is one justice system for the famous and/or rich and another for 'ordinary' people.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast