Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash

Bobek enters guilty plea; 8/16 UPDATE-sentenced to 5 years probation

Posted yesterday in the Bobek thread in the Trash Can:
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    Well, this just popped up in my news feed:

Bobek enters guilty plea

The Jersey Journal original source article about the plea (has some more details).

(Link to old Bobek thread when she was first arrested/charged)
    6/18 Jersey Journal article excerpt:
    Former United States figure skating champion Nicole Bobek has pleaded guilty to conspiracy to distribute crystal methamphetamine for her role in a major Hudson County drug ring, officials said today.

When sentenced Aug. 5, the onetime ice queen faces anywhere from probation to five years in prison.

Under the original charge, she could have faced up to 10 years in prison.

Prosecutors are expected to recommend to state Superior Court Judge Kevin Callahan, sitting in Jersey City, that Bobek spend 364 days in the Hudson County jail in Kearny.

vCash

vCash
    If the recommended sentence is accepted this could be the best news for Nicole. A punishment and chance to get her life together but not too much time in Jail to ruin what that chance could give her. It's all up to her though.

vCash
    How sad that her life came to this

I hope she is able to turn things around. Good luck Nicole!

...an acquired taste
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tarotx View Post
    chance to get her life together
    She's never had her life together. Jail won't help.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Wow
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I'll be really curious to see if they really do give her any jail time.

vCash

after someone post one of Nicole's program (to illustrate the beauty of spiral back then, IIRC), I was wondering what she was up to these days... oups.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tarotx View Post
    If the recommended sentence is accepted this could be the best news for Nicole. A punishment and chance to get her life together but not too much time in Jail to ruin what that chance could give her. It's all up to her though.

Like jails are set up for people to get their lives together!

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post

She's a world championship bronze medallist...how can one acheive that without having their life together? I will probably never do anything on the world stage to rival that. And dare I say that neither will the great majority of posters here at FSU either?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    This is so tragic and sad that Nicole turned to drugs. I hope she can get everything back on track.

vCash
    Tragic

vCash
    Incredibly sad.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post

She's a world championship bronze medallist...how can one acheive that without having their life together? I will probably never do anything on the world stage to rival that. And dare I say that neither will the great majority of posters here at FSU either?
    ITA. She always seemed to be troubled and had a lot of crap happen to her, but nobody ends up at the level she did if they were a complete mess. Sure she might not have fulfilled all of her potential, but getting to the competitive level she did certainly isn't easy.

vCash
    I really enjoyed Nicole's skating and it's really sad news. I don't know why anybody would want to get involved with that stuff as it changes one's appearance and is mentally detrimental. I hope she can get back on track again.
    Just wondering when did Nicole's skating commitments dry up, ie-Stars on Ice & competition?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post

It might - it has for others - she will have lots of time to think, stay away from the wrong crowd, get counselling, study, etc.?

I hope so anyway. If there are no consequences, I fear she will repeat.

I wish they'd find a better picture of her than the mug shot - ugh - at least she didn't have to wear orange.

I hope she has stopped using.

vCash
    Incredibly sad. She pleaded guilty, meaning that the govt must have had tons of evidence against her, so she is hoping to get a lighter sentence. I have no doubt that she'll do some jail time; she allegedly headed a major drug ring, after all, not just selling little bags on a street corner. This is serious crap.

I hope that she learns her lessons and can have a clean-and-sober remainder to her life.

p.s. It's interesting that the name of the judge who will sentence her is CALLAHAN...just like the coach she had in her most successful year in skating.
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 06-21-2010 at 07:15 PM.

vCash
    Very sad.

Unfortunately, probably the most lenient outcome possible, under the circumstances.
    I hope that she is able to get the proper counselling/help while she is jailed; so that she can have a productive life when she is released.

vCash
    This is just sad. I wonder how long Nicole has struggled with addiction?

vCash
    Very sad -- and I do hope that whatever the sentence is (I'm expecting that she will do some time in jail), that she will be able to make a go of putting her life back in order.

As for her "heading a major drug ring" -- I never read anything implying that. There's a big difference between taking part in something, and actually running the whole thing. If Nicole truly were heading a drug ring, then the charges wouldn't have been dropped down to a level that had a 5-year maximum sentence.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnipeg View Post
    It might - it has for others - she will have lots of time to think, stay away from the wrong crowd, get counselling, study, etc.?
    You seem to have a much rosier view of prison than I do. As far as keeping away from "the wrong crowd," I'm pretty sure the rest of her fellow inmates probably aren't nuns. Which is not to say that there aren't inmates who are trying to turn their lives around, but there are also plenty of bad seeds who are hard-core criminals and users. Drugs are fairly abundant in most U.S. prisons.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast