17. You may not vote on this poll
  • he will pass Nicklaus with 19 or more majors

7 41.18%
  • he will end up exactly tied

1 5.88%
  • he will never catch him

9 52.94%
    vCash

Is Tiger going to still catch Jack or not.

Do you think Tiger Woods is still going to be able to catch or surpass Nicklaus's record of 18 majors?

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Where is he at, now? I wonder if he will ever win another. I think it is probably way too soon to say never, since golfers can play great golf for many many years. I think it will be a while before he wins a major, he has to get past all of this funk and get back to normal. His head is so obviously somewhere else, as expected, and to begin winning I think he has to be back to an old mind frame. I guess I am giving a complete non answer
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    He has to win another 4 to tie Nicklaus. I actually dont think he will end up doing it at this point. I dont think he is going to win one this year and he will be 35 at the end of this year. I dont exactly think his best golf is ahead of him, I just dont get that sense for a variety of reasons. Golfers dont typically win alot or any majors after turning 40, I would like to know the stats on who has won the most at that age. It might even be Nicklaus himself who won 2 at age 40, then a last one at age 46. Nicklaus himself won exactly 4 majors after turning 35.

vCash
    I still voted "he will pass Nicklaus", but I'm beginning to have some doubt that he will. He definitely hasn't looked like himself in a while, whether it is his injuries and swing problems or his mental state from the very public scandal. He doesn't have the same look of confidence out on the course. I don't think he'll win a major this year. My best guess is that he'll return to his previous form next year.

vCash
    I agree next year will tell us alot more. It is looking increasingly obvious him doing anything major this year would be a surprise, though with Tiger you never know. However next year will really say more, since if he is going to recover he should be able to some extent next year. Even if he doesnt win a major next year atleast playing alot better than he has so far this year, and if he doesnt then he is really in big trouble.

On another note how do some of you feel Tiger's competition compares to Nicklaus? I am not a huge golf follower but I read an article about that last year that I found interesting. I would pretty much agree with what I read in that article too. I would say I think there is much more depth today, there are so many good golfers even way down near the bottom who can win events. However also feel that Tiger's main rivals at the very top come nowhere near what Nicklaus faced. Nicklaus actually faced other all time great golfers, Tiger does not, and I dont think any of them at this point would be one even if he didnt ever exist.

vCash
    I still think he's going to pass Nicklaus and get to 19 or 20 before his career is over. He's had dry spells before where he was having swing problems and mental issues, and he's twice gone 10 majors in between wins (97 Masters to 99 PGA, 02 U.S. Open to 05 Masters). If he doesn't win one this year, it'll be 10 majors since his last win, but that includes the 2 that he missed in 08 due to injury. I remember a lot of commentators and experts saying in 03 and 04 that he wasn't going to get to 19, and he came back and won 6 of the 14 majors from the 05 Masters to 08 U.S. Open. I think he has at least one more good streak in him--the age 40 barrier is not what it used to be in golf, especially for someone as physically talented as Tiger.

What I do think has changed from the past is that Tiger's psychological advantage is gone. He lost that advantage before the scandal last year when Y.E. Yang chased him down in the final round at the PGA. It's going to be harder for Tiger to win in the future because other guys will have the confidence that they can catch him in the final round, whereas in the past I think a lot of golfers psyched themselves out or just gave up when Tiger had the lead going into the final round.

vCash
    Looks like I spoke too soon saying I didn't think Tiger will win a major this year. He just shot a 66 and is right back in it for the U.S. Open.

vCash
    He is still 5 shots behind. He would need another amazing round followed by a not so hot round from the leader to come all the way back and that isn't thinking about the others in front of him. Anything is possible but the leader has gotten better each round. I almost find myself rooting for Tiger, but I don't know why....
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I dont think he will win today either but it still makes an intersting watch. An interesting stat is that Tiger has never won a major from behind going into the final round.

vCash
    Yeah I don't think Tiger will necessarily win, but I wouldn't bet against him either. He has never come from behind to win a major before, but today might be the perfect scenario for him to accomplish that feat. Dustin Johnson is playing very well and should be the favorite to win at this point. Having said that, he hasn't won a major before and this course isn't exactly a walk in the park. Anyone of the leaders (including Tiger) could potentially have a nightmarish round. I hope that doesn't happen though. I'm looking forward to watching later!

vCash
    Hasn't Johnson won 2 events on this course in recent months? I'm not a golf expert but I think they change the courses a bit every year and maybe even between tournaments so it may not be the same as playing on the EXACT course but he has shown he can win here and not just once. Doing it at a Major is very different, of course, but I think he has as much confidence out there as anyone in the field.

The funny thing is I am typing this and haven't even bothered to see how it is going, could be over for all I know. Going to look now...

They haven't played yet but looking at the very early results, 2 of the guys who finished and are rather far back in the pack shot a 68! I think we can see some really good golf today if the course is playing that well.
    -Brian

vCash
    Wow Johnson is collapsing already. +6 over for the day after only 4 holes on including a triple bogey and already 3 back of the lead now. Tiger also not doing so hot, +3 for the day and falling out of the running. Ernie Els has made the biggest move and is tied for the lead. I think Phil Mickelson becomes #1 if he wins but he is 3 of the lead and hasnt really made any move today yet.

vCash
    If you'd asked me this question at this time last year, I'd have answered absolutely. But he's going to lose a lot of opportunities over the next couple of years dealing with his "issues". Add in to this that he's having to deal with more and more physical problems like his recent neck injury, that's i've come to believe that he'll just miss Jack's record.

As to the point about Tiger's competition, it is different than Jack had to deal with. Jack had it tougher in a way as there were more Really good players, but that was about five or six of them...Palmer, Player, Watson, Weiskopf, Miller, Trevino....but not much past those guys. Tiger has about 20-25 really good players who could rise up at anytime (like yesterday) and steal a major. Jacks problem was that his competion was usually good every tournament. Both had tough competition, it was just different.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    If you'd asked me this question at this time last year, I'd have answered absolutely. But he's going to lose a lot of opportunities over the next couple of years dealing with his "issues". Add in to this that he's having to deal with more and more physical problems like his recent neck injury, that's i've come to believe that he'll just miss Jack's record.

As to the point about Tiger's competition, it is different than Jack had to deal with. Jack had it tougher in a way as there were more Really good players, but that was about five or six of them...Palmer, Player, Watson, Weiskopf, Miller, Trevino....but not much past those guys. Tiger has about 20-25 really good players who could rise up at anytime (like yesterday) and steal a major. Jacks problem was that his competion was usually good every tournament. Both had tough competition, it was just different.
    I think that is a good accessment all around especialy regarding Tiger's competition vs Jack's.

I find it funny nobody voted "tie the record".

vCash
    I think Tiger probably has enough killer instinct in him, despite all his recent woes. I don't particularly like him (has nothing to do with his private life--I couldn't care less), but he seems to me to have a cold enough personality mixed with incredible talent that will probably drive him to the top.