Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fallingwater

vCash

Fallingwater

Has anyone been to the Frank Lloyd Wright-built Fallingwater house in Pennsylvania? I was supposed to take a trip with my friends to New Hampshire during the July 4 weekend which got cancelled, so I'm looking for alternative things to do that weekend. I thought of Fallingwater since I love Frank Lloyd Wright's work - already been to Oak Park. I have a bunch of coupons/discounts for flights and hotels so I can probably fly to Pittsburg, stay a couple of nights and rent a car to drive there for under 200$. Would anybody recommend it? I'll be going alone since none of my friends are willing to shell out money to go gawk at architecture

Watch me move
    vCash
    I missed Fallingwater when I was in that area, although some of my friends have gone and were amazed by it. I am ashamed to admit that I spent my time at the other architectural "marvel" just down the road:
    http://www.thehouseontherock.com/
    I think doing both would be a very good overview of 20th century American architectural styles, although you should probably do Fallingwater first because House on the Rock is going to make you feel like you've been on drugs for a couple of hours.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    I used to live in Pittsburgh and went. I really liked it. I believe that they've done some restoration recently too, so it's probably even nicer now.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    I've done the road trip out there, on my own, from Pittsburgh, and it's not too bad. You could stay in a Hampton/Fairfield Inn in nearby Uniontown. Or, I'd imagine there should be country B&Bs here and there.

It's absolutely beautiful and the tours give you plenty of time to soak in the whole place and explore around. Go to http://www.fallingwater.org/ and reserve a spot in advance, though, keeping in mind that it is a holiday weekend and they may have limited hours.

I've also been to Taliesin West in Scottsdale, AZ and while in dramatically different landscapes, you can see plenty of similarities between the two structures.

vCash
    My parents' house is not far from Fallingwater and I have been there many times. It's a very cool piece of architecture. Definitely worth going once.

And Ohiopyle is a very nice state park close by. Great for camping if you are into it. You may want to check it out too.

Meow. Mrow. Miao. Purrrr.
    vCash
    genegri said it well. Beautiful house, beautiful area.
    Sit vis nobiscum.
    Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    I would definitely recommend it, Ajax. I stopped there on my way to Rhode Island several years ago. While others may not have had this problem, I became terribly lost and there was place to stop for directions, so make certain you have specific directions before you leave.

The house itself is fascinating, the tour interesting, and the area where it is located is lovely.

vCash
    I was there a few years ago. I'm not someone who's really into modern architecture (give me a nice castle or mansion in Newport any day), but the house is really quite beautiful, as is the area around it. That combined with the fact that he's such an American legend would make me highly recommend it.

vCash
    It's fantastic. I wouldn't want to live there myself, not into that style, but great to visit.

vCash
    Fallingwater is definitely worth the trip. Most people are familiar with the image of the outside of the house with the waterfall underneath, but you really have to experience the interior spaces to understand why it is such a meaningful work.

vCash
    We visited it last summer. Wonderful experience. May I also recommend a visit to another Frank Lloyd Wright home (lesser known?) just a few miles away from Fallingwater - Kentuck Knob!

Banned Member
    vCash
    My inspiration in my home has come from FLR and his work with a little Asian influence. I studied his work when I got my interior design certificate. He was so ahead of his time!!!
    Without fear you cannot find courage

vCash
    You will not regret going to see Fallingwater - my husband and I went there this summer and it was fantastic! The guided tour was so much fun. The tour guides share so much interesting info about the home, its development, and the collaborative relationship between FLW and the family who commissioned Fallingwater.

vCash
    Thank you so much for your input, everyone Looks like i'll be able to swing the whole trip for under 250$, including the tour tickets. I'm very excited to go now!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Latte View Post
    It's fantastic. I wouldn't want to live there myself, not into that style, but great to visit.
    I agree. I wouldn't want to live in a house like that, but it is a gorgeous house

vCash
    it's a must see, and while you're there make sure to check out this nearby FLlW house. Very nice.

http://www.kentuckknob.com/

vCash
    Thanks so much everyone for the recommendations I've booked everything and will be there on July 5! Only worry is that I take the Fallingwater tour at 8:30, the Kentuck Knob tour at noon, and then I have to drive back to Pittsburgh airport in time to catch my flight at 5 PM. Hopefully there won't be any traffic jams!

vCash
    I hope you get to tour both with ample time to get to the airport that day.

vCash
    If it's good enough for Brangelina...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06342/744664-100.stm

http://www.paconserve.org/brad-angelina.htm

I have family in that area, so I pass by it a couple of times a year. I visited it during the off-season once. I couldn't imagine living in that house . I was hoping visiting it would make me appreciate FLW more. It didn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deltask8er View Post
    I have family in that area, so I pass by it a couple of times a year. I visited it during the off-season once. I couldn't imagine living in that house . I was hoping visiting it would make me appreciate FLW more. It didn't.
    Fallingwater was just supposed to be a vacation/weekend retreat for the original owners -- not a year-round, full-time home. As such, I think I could live there -- but that is just based on photos, never having been there. Have you ever been to any other of FLW's houses? I rather like the Dana/Thomas house in Springfield (for its excess of art glass windows and doors), the Francis Little house in Peoria (on a more modest scale, but many similar features as the Dana/Thomas house) and the Avery Coonley house in Riverside, which has a very "livable" interior.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast