Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    OR....forget "new Florida" or "Disney Florida" and go on a really fun adventure of exploring the byroads and beaches of the "real" Florida.
    My dad's the king of the "real Florida". I'm normally visiting Florida Florida. Sinkholes, northern beaches, springs, and more off-the-beaten-track stuff. This year, for one day, it's Disney. This year, for one day, I'm a tourist.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    We just returned from Disney last night! It had been 10 years since our last visit. We all had a wonderful time even though it is very hot already. My son made the best discovery of the week. After the first day he said: Once you concede that you will not be able to see and do it all, it is possible to relax and just see and do what you choose.

Our must see list:
    The Lion King (A.K.)
    Finding Nemo (A.K.)
    Electric Light Parade (M.K.)
    Evening Fireworks (M.K.)
    Teacups (M.K.)
    Illuminations/ Nightly show (Epcot)
    Toy Story rides (M.K.)/ (Hollywood)
    Safari (A.K.)
    Pirates of the Carribean (M.K.)

Hope you have a fantastic time!

vCash
    Okay, we've booked it. We're staying two nights at the Wilderness Lodge - my husband's pick, totally his style, and I'm fine with it. We'll arrive the first day, play in the pool, eat dinner, get to bed early. Next morning, we're up early to ride the boat to Magic Kingdom, where my daughter will go on Disney Overload.

Thanks to everyone who suggested we get the DVD, by the way. After the DVD arrived, soon came a hotel discount ticket... which very much influenced our ability to stay on-property.

We hope to get to the park early, and do a ton of things. Then break for a swim and maybe a nap. Then return to the park in the evening for the big parade. But we probably won't stay for the fireworks - my daughter's normally deeply sleeping by 8pm. The parade is at 9. The fireworks are at 10! They'll have to wait until she's older, I'm thinking. We'll see. Best case, we get a room from which we can see the fireworks, and watch them from the room in our PJs.
    Last edited by GarrAarghHrumph; 07-24-2010 at 02:22 AM.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    We are going for 5 days in the middle of August! Not looking forward to the heat, but wanted to do something with the kids during the break, so I think we will do the same as you and take an afternoon break for a swim or nap and then go back in the evening. My kids are older, but even when they were older they were always nightowls!

It's funny one vacation we did Disney in Paris after the Vatican and noticed how there were so many quiet children in the Vatican museum, but at Disney so many of the kids were whining and crying! Too much forced fun!

vCash
    What's this about a DVD? I'd love to get one. Planning an October visit, as we're flying into Orlando for a family reunion in St Pete. Disney + my husband finally meeting my extended family = YAY.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    What's this about a DVD? I'd love to get one. Planning an October visit, as we're flying into Orlando for a family reunion in St Pete. Disney + my husband finally meeting my extended family = YAY.
    Here you go

https://www.disneyvacations.com/dv/e...lt&vcntype=wdw
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    One thing I learned... don't waste any time/money on souvenirs in the park. Instead, head over to the Disney shopping center on Buena Vista Drive. Free parking, no crowds, and the hours are good. They do sell liquor in the restaurants there.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    We hope to get to the park early, and do a ton of things. Then break for a swim and maybe a nap. Then return to the park in the evening for the big parade. But we probably won't stay for the fireworks - my daughter's normally deeply sleeping by 8pm. The parade is at 9. The fireworks are at 10! They'll have to wait until she's older, I'm thinking. We'll see. Best case, we get a room from which we can see the fireworks, and watch them from the room in our PJs.
    I don't think it's been mentioned yet - the parade will be cancelled if it just looks like there's going to be a thunderstorm. Happened to us twice in a row - rain, some lightning, everyone was waiting, rain stopped, lightning continued without thunder but parade was cancelled. Just so you're prepared that it could happen
    There's a parade in the afternoon though - or are they not having it anymore?
    If you want to do some shopping you might want to check out the Disney Village Market Place the day you get there. If you make it before park closing hours it's rather empty and much nicer to shop at than in the park. I also find that the gift shops outside of Disney have tons of Disney stuff at a much cheaper price but all genuine.

Have fun!!

a monkey stole my title
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    I don't think it's been mentioned yet - the parade will be cancelled if it just looks like there's going to be a thunderstorm. Happened to us twice in a row - rain, some lightning, everyone was waiting, rain stopped, lightning continued without thunder but parade was cancelled. Just so you're prepared that it could happen
    There's a parade in the afternoon though - or are they not having it anymore?
    There's an afternoon parade, but the nighttime one is much better. And it's much more pleasant waiting outside after the sun sets. We skipped the afternoon parades last summer because we were always taking our mid-day break at the hotel around that time.

vCash
    How far is the hotel with the zoo animals in it from the Wilderness Lodge? We'll have a car, btw. Is it close? Easy to get to? I ask because I heard that you can see the animals from all public spaces in the "zoo" hotel, and if it's easy to get from one to the other, I might bring my daughter over there.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Not sure how far it is, but you'll be looking for the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Don't forget sunscreen and take water with you. If you have a freezer in a mini-fridge in the room, freeze bottles of water and take them with you into the park.

Also, the electric light parade is back, that's the evening parade. It is soooo worth taking a nap to see it. But check the weather forecast and ask a cast member if they are looking like canceling it.

Enjoy and stay hydrated. It is horribly hot and humid right now.

a monkey stole my title
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    How far is the hotel with the zoo animals in it from the Wilderness Lodge? We'll have a car, btw. Is it close? Easy to get to? I ask because I heard that you can see the animals from all public spaces in the "zoo" hotel, and if it's easy to get from one to the other, I might bring my daughter over there.
    I'd guess it's about a 20-25 minute drive... kinda going from 1 end of the property to the other. But yes, you can go through the lobby of the Animal Kingdom Lodge and down the stairs to get to a public viewing area. (there are actually 2 buildings; I am only familiar with Jambo House, which is where we stayed)

vCash
    http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/propertymap.htm

This is a map of the entire park. You are staying at #6. The Animal Kingdom Lodge is #30.
    I agree with BelleBway that it would take about 20-25 min to get there.

If you decide to do the shopping thing at Downtown Disney that would be the section on the right marked with blue. If you do not want to drive, by staying on property you can take Disney transportation over which would be by bus and they drop you right to the Marketplace where the shops are. Just look for the one marked Downtown Disney. Buses run every 10-15 min so when you are ready to come back just go back to the bus stop for Wilderness Lodge and one will be by shortly.

The other nice thing about staying on property is any shopping you do you can send your packages back to the hotel. The next day you pick them up at the gift shop in the hotel and are not saddled with carrying them around with you.

Great resort choice! I hope you love it as much as I do!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123