Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Become Native American--that will take you down a few notches

Well in the real world, yes, having race and economic privilege is a big reason for long life expectancy, hence mine. Not sure that calculator took that into account however.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    I must be living right. Took it once, and thought that it was too high ... maybe I was embellishing the "good living" aspect. Took it again, underselling a bit, but came up just a year shorter.

I'll take 93.4 years, thankyouverymuch ... pretty damned good for a guy. But dammit not if the last ones are a mess like my grandmother. (She's 93, now, and sharp as a tack, but so frustrated that her body has been progressively letting her down for the past four years.) I'll take whatever I can in "good years".

Noted these big "+" things on my scale: "Athletic" build = +2 years. No family coronary disease history = +2. Parental/grandparent longevity = +2. Interesting that, according to this scale (and to other studies and advice) one can add years by being happy, liking their work, and being generally anxiety-free and optimistic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil-Galad View Post
    Is hispanic really a race? And if it is, who exactly is hispanic? Everyone from Latin America?
    It's not a race. I mean, I'm from South America, but my heritage is Spanish, what am I supposed to pick?
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Meredith View Post
    My virtual age is 10 years younger than my actual age.
    My life expectancy is closing in on 90! (Not sure how I feel about that.)
    I'm the same (with a life expectancy of 86) -- better save more, I might need it!

vCash
    I guess no driving, no smoking, no high risk activities, and no history of heart disease in the family can overcome being overweight and no regular medical exams, because my virtual age is 15 years younger than my actual age -- and my life expectancy is 93.1! Actually it's probably my long-lived maternal relatives and a surprisingly high HDL level. Downside is that given the dire fiscal condition of my pension system, I probably should plan on working until I'm 80 to afford any retirement . Maybe I should take up sky diving. BR, you could join me.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I'm fine with working to 80 if I'm going to live into my 90s, but the problem is, I don't think the economy can accomodate all of us with employment!

I don't think I'll take up skydiving however. Maybe race car driving or somethng... zoooooooooom
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Biological Age: 29
    Virtual Age 9.6
    Life expectancy: 93.4

I'm curious to know why cancer isn't included in the questions. I was certain it would be, and that it would take me down a few notches, as I have a strong family history of breast cancer. Anyway, add me to the list of people who aren't necessarily looking forward to old age. Anything higher than 90 is a little too high for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdycool View Post
    I'm curious to know why cancer isn't included in the questions. I was certain it would be, and that it would take me down a few notches, as I have a strong family history of breast cancer.
    I wondered about that as well. Cancer is the unfortunate part of my family history.
    Anyway, add me to the list of people who aren't necessarily looking forward to old age. Anything higher than 90 is a little too high for me.
    My paternal grandmother lived to 96 and up until 93 was living alone, putting in her garden every year, and hiking up the road (about a half mile and a very steep hill) to play cards with the neighbors. Unfortunately the stroke she had at 93 took all that away -- it didn't affect her physical self, but mentally she just couldn't live alone anymore (she couldn't keep track of her medications, much less handle her bills).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    what's killing you off? smoking? risky behaviors? work stress?
    It is lack of good behaviors, work stress and family health issues. But seriously, not having to save for retirement would be one less stress to deal with for sure!
    Figure skating is hard.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Not to be a huge downer, but I took it for my DH. He's 44, and his virtual age was in the 60's. His life expectency is in the 50's. This doesn't surprise me, because he smokes, has high blood pressure and won't go to the doctor. I've assumed for years that I will be a widow in my 50's, and financially I am planning accordingly.

ETA - According to this, I'm going to live until my mid-80's. That's about right for women in my family.

vCash
    Biological age: 28
    Virtual age: 18.7
    Avg life expectancy: 74
    Your life expectancy: 83.3

As far as I know, there hasn't been much in the way of cancer in my family, so the addition of that question may not have made much of a difference for me. From what I can recall, most (if not all) of my great grandparents lived at least into their 80s. My maternal great grandmother (maternal grandfather's mother) lived to either 104 or 105... can't remember which. She could remember the names of nearly every child, grandchild, great grandchild, and great great grandchild which I believe totaled over 100 (Catholic family, so it was quite a large family).

vCash
    The women in my family have almost all outlived the men, save for those who died accidentally. So, my prediction of living to be 94 and my virtual age of 23 doesn't surprise me too much.

I took a different quiz one time that was much more in-depth. It didn't give a longevity prediction, but it did give a virtual age. My virtual age in that one was more like in the 30's. It actually said that I exercise too much!!

Basically, if you are a non-smoking caucasian female with a college education, it looks like your chances of a long life are good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    My paternal grandmother lived to 96 and up until 93 was living alone, putting in her garden every year, and hiking up the road (about a half mile and a very steep hill) to play cards with the neighbors.
    I'm looking forward to taking up gardening when I get older and slow down a bit. Right now I can't seem to find the time, as I'd rather be doing more active things.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    I'm looking forward to taking up gardening when I get older and slow down a bit. Right now I can't seem to find the time, as I'd rather be doing more active things.
    My grandmother's gardening was more active than most, since it was about a quarter acre almost entirely devoted to vegetables, which she canned or put up in the freezer for winter. She had to find time, or she wouldn't have eaten nearly as well. But it definitely WAS a bit of a slow-down from the small dairy farm that she ran (with the help of one other person) until she was 75. BTW, she lived in Vermont and until she was 90, a wood-burning stove was the only heat. She usually went through about 5-6 cords of wood each winter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    It's not a race. I mean, I'm from South America, but my heritage is Spanish, what am I supposed to pick?
    That's why I asked. It must be merely a lose term to describe someone from Latinamerica. So very strange to call it a race.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    My grandmother's gardening was more active than most, since it was about a quarter acre almost entirely devoted to vegetables, which she canned or put up in the freezer for winter. She had to find time, or she wouldn't have eaten nearly as well. But it definitely WAS a bit of a slow-down from the small dairy farm that she ran (with the help of one other person) until she was 75. BTW, she lived in Vermont and until she was 90, a wood-burning stove was the only heat. She usually went through about 5-6 cords of wood each winter.
    I have tough old birds in my family too, both sides! Where my father died at 70 and his father at 68 my grandmother was 97. My mother's family has the most longevity. Her father, my grandfather was 97, my grandmother 85 (although she had severe dementia, not tested for Alzhiemers). My grandfathers mother was 98 and had leg amputated at 89, her other children were 80, 85 and 98 when they passed. The 80 yr old was my grandfather's baby brother from prostate cancer. My mother is 79 and in good health despite having breast cancer 36 years ago and various illness's. Mom tells me about her side of the family and most of them she recalls living well into their late 80's and 90's.

Something to be said about "hard life" being a blessing, NOT a stressful life!
    Without fear you cannot find courage

vCash
    I was thinking that family history of cancer was not included perhaps because this methodology optimistically sees a cure for cancer in the near future? Don't know that is would be any more curable than cardio-vascular problems though???? Or else, since I believe the vast majority develop cancer eventually if they live long enough, it is already taken care of by the average age of your predecessors? I say that about cancer since my family experience on my mother's side is that most all of them died of cancer in their mid 80's.
    Last edited by Skate Talker; 06-16-2010 at 06:16 PM.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I closed the window without copying the info, but my life expectancy is 83.3...which is low for my family. But seeing my (beloved) 95 year old grandmother doesn't make me want to live that long, so I'll take 83.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Biological age: 24
    Virtual age: 9.5
    Average life expectancy: 74
    My life expectancy: 89.8

vCash
    Biological age: 48
    Virtual age: 35.6
    Average LE: 76
    Your Life Expectancy: 88.4

Since my grandmother lived to 90, and smoked most of her life and drank like fish, I feel a little ripped off I guess I need to ramp up the retirement savings plan too!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast