Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post

It could be proof that God exists and that He does not like tacky statues...
    Critics.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    After somebody mentioned "butter Jesus" as an attraction for someone who was coming to visit Dayton, I figured I'd come on here and there would be a thread.

Now if you come here this summer, you'll have to go to the church festivals on the weekends. Or the county fairs after July 4! (And none of those are techincally "in Dayton"!)

vCash
    Aw rats. We were going to make a stop to see it on our way to Cleveland and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame... rats....

I mean what else is there to do in Ohio? Touchdown Jesus and the RRHoF. That about covers it.

Too bad..

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash

The highway patrol is having traffic control problems on I-75--too many gawkers and photographers. I guess rush hour was a mess. They've written a record number of tickets.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post

The highway patrol is having traffic control problems on I-75--too many gawkers and photographers. I guess rush hour was a mess. They've written a record number of tickets.
    I wonder how much revenue this generates ... and how badly the revenue is needed. Maybe, this is the reason why G-d allowed the statute to be destroyed?

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    I wonder how much revenue this generates ... and how badly the revenue is needed. Maybe, this is the reason why G-d allowed the statute to be destroyed?
    If the statue is/was where I think it was, the revenue could certainly be used.

I heard the annihilation of TD on the way home today, and the first thing I thought about was FSU! Somehow I knew there would be a thread.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Meredith View Post
    If the statue is/was where I think it was, the revenue could certainly be used.
    The statue is/was in Warren County, which has lots of antique shops, Kings Island, the Beach, Great Wolf Lodge, etc., etc . There are a lot of other places that could use the revenue more, although I think highway patrol fines go the state, don't they?

The state could sure use it, though. The state should build some monstrosity and put it by the highway around, oh, Dublin. I think people in Dublin would love that
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    The state should build some monstrosity and put it by the highway around, oh, Dublin. I think people in Dublin would love that
    Dublin folks would only appreciate an Ohio State Buckeyes-centric monstrosity.

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    The statue is/was in Warren County, which has lots of antique shops, Kings Island, the Beach, Great Wolf Lodge, etc., etc . There are a lot of other places that could use the revenue more, although I think highway patrol fines go the state, don't they?

The state could sure use it, though. The state should build some monstrosity and put it by the highway around, oh, Dublin. I think people in Dublin would love that
    I thought it was closer to Cincinnati proper. Oh well. Dublin would be a great place for a reincarnation of the statue. Columbus' outerbelt would come to a dead stop, never to move again.

Don't know where highway patrol fines go. I thought they were retained locally, but I could be wrong, and now I'm curious.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I believe that if it is on an interstate it goes to the state. On a surface street it goes to the local community.

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jen_faith View Post
    Aw rats. We were going to make a stop to see it on our way to Cleveland and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame... rats....

I mean what else is there to do in Ohio? Touchdown Jesus and the RRHoF. That about covers it.

Too bad..
    Stop here! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCknR_bkBXw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2McUeDqtDaw&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNtgE...eature=related
    Last edited by mmscfdcsu; 06-16-2010 at 02:18 AM.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    We're being hit by another batch of strong thunderstorms.

I wonder what kind of conductivity that steel frame has .

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Thank you FSU! I've heard nothing but this news all day today (I live about twenty five minutes away from that tacky thing and saw it all the time when I was driving to and from the Dayton International Airport) and I had a very strong feeling there would be a thread here about it when I finally got here tonight. You guys didn't let me down, LOL

That said, I'm not sorry to see the thing go although I do feel bad that the church amphitheatre suffered some damage too. They may think it's something that will draw people closer to God but as a Christian, I thought it was ridiculously ostentatious, tacky, and not a practical use of their resources. My church would be jumping like crazy if we had the amount of money available that they spent on that statue because there are a ton of things we want to do in our part of town to help the community along with helping pay off the new addition that we just finished last year after a LONG five year process. I just can't understand how anyone could think that statue was a good idea. After reading about the materials that were used to make it, I'm now surprised that it lasted as long as it did since it seened to be a pretty solid lightning rod in that area of I-75. Maybe God really was tired of it too, LOL
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    We're being hit by another batch of strong thunderstorms.

I wonder what kind of conductivity that steel frame has .
    Question is, if it were to act as a lightning rod, where exactly would it conduct the electricity to?

vCash
    I first heard of touchdown jesus on FSU and learned of its demise here too. So surreal....

RIP jeebus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    Stop here!
    Thanks for the info. I was being a bit silly. I am sure Ohio is a lovely state. I will be dragging along an 18 year boy so I have to plan accordingly.

Hey ho way to go O-h-i-o....

I'm quoting Chrissy Hinde, I must be showing my age

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    deleted
    Last edited by Meredith; 06-16-2010 at 12:51 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jen_faith View Post
    Thanks for the info. I was being a bit silly. I am sure Ohio is a lovely state. I will be dragging along an 18 year boy so I have to plan accordingly.

Hey ho way to go O-h-i-o....

I'm quoting Chrissy Hinde, I must be showing my age
    I didn't read the other person's answer, but Butter Jesus is (oops, was) over 4 hours away from Cleveland and the RRHF. That would have been quite a side trip! You'd be practically at the opposite end of Ohio by then.

While you are "up north", you could go to the Sandusky area and go to Cedar Point, Put-in-Bay (sp?), some big indoor water park and recreation facility they have up there now, and the Merry-Go-Round Museum!!!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan1 View Post
    some big indoor water park and recreation facility they have up there now
    There's two or three of them up there now, including one attached to Cedar Point. Kalahari is lots of fun.

But if the teenage boy is traveling with just mom and/or dad, er,.........maybe not the ideal trip there. In fact, just about any trip with an 18-year-old and just mom and/or dad is going to be tough to plan.

vCash
    I saw this on our news last night and had to laugh. Someone in the church must have said "May God strike me down", he missed and got the statue instead.

Why build another Jesus? Surely if they want to build something big they need to take a hint from Australia on how to do it.

http://www.bigthings.com.au/

I suggest go to the Index and check out the letter "J".
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast