Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

vCash
    At least Next to Normal got the Pulitzer. I got to see it and really liked it. It had its flaws, but overall it was a strong show with a great score.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Highlight of the program was Viola Davis' speech and Sean Hayes coming out dressed as Billy Elliott, which was just so frong but hilarious!
    I missed that. Can't find a youtube clip .

Blergh
    vCash
    Does "interesting" and "new" always equal "better" though?

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but at the same time, I think people get stuck in thinking that "different" automatically equals higher quality. That said, I've found that I always had a show that I preferred over the Best Musical winner. Same for the Best Picture winner at the Oscars.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Bernadette Peters in that role? I don't want to get lynched, but isn't she a little old for it? I mean better voice than Zeta-Jones, but...?
    Maybe she and Stritch will get out the ostrich feather fans and sing "Sisters".

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Bernadette has an ageless quality. The voice, the hair, report of some "face work" last night.... (I thought she didn't look her very best.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Maybe she and Stritch will get out the ostrich feather fans and sing "Sisters".
    I love that! When I was little, my BF and I used to sing that. Of course, we didn't quite get the "between me and my man" part of it ;lol:.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Lea Michelle would forever suffer comparisions to Barbra.
    I can't imagine her in the role of Fanny Brice.
    It's not a comparison I'd want to be subject to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Neither would I

(especially since I don't think Lea did such a great job on "People")

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    It's not only Barbra's vocal skills, it's her exquisite comic timing, demonstrated here with the two other actors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w5y8TLDXMA

vCash
    Neither would I

(especially since I don't think Lea did such a great job on "People")
    Oy, when did she do this?

vCash
    I agree and I would not want to subject many other actors to that comparison as well. But I think there are probably other actors that would be able to pull it off more convincingly than Lea. I like Lea's voice when she's singing something soft and gentle, but I don't think she has really a classic, big Broadway belt.

Barbra is definitely in a class by herself, but I enjoy Caroline O' Connor's version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_OlM...eature=related. I think singers need a bit of gruff to their voice to make this song work.
    Last edited by jenny12; 06-15-2010 at 01:46 AM.

vCash
    Oy, when did she do this?
    Oy back, I had a brain fart! I meant "Don't Rain on My Parade". I was thinking iconic Barbra and somehow "People" just flew out of my fingers! Sorry, I feel so silly

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    I agree and I would not want to subject many other actors to that comparison as well. But I think there are probably other actors that would be able to pull it off more convincingly than Lea. I like Lea's voice when she's singing something soft and gentle, but I don't think she has really a classic, big Broadway belt.
    I agree. I think she has a very powerful voice, but when she belts, she loses something.

Maybe Lea Solonga could give Barbra tunes a run for their money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Why Gwyneth Paltrow? She didn't beat Judi for the Oscar. Do you mean Helen Hunt? Or Marcia Gay Harden? or Halle Berry? or Reese Witherspoon? or Helen Mirren?

I think Judi gave a superior performance to Helen Hunt but then the Academy made it up for her when she won her Oscar for Shakespeare in Love over Rachel Griffiths for Hilary and Jackie and Lynn Redgrave for Gods and Monsters.
    Oops you are correct. Gwyneth Oscat should've went to Cate and Helen Hunt's should've gone to Dench.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    I thought Just Jack and his sidekick, Cheno, did a great job hosting last night. Her 'acceptance speech' was friggin' hilarious. Bebe and Nathan were terrific as well.

My favourite WTF moment was CZJ winning for A Little Night Music.

vCash
    Oy back, I had a brain fart! I meant "Don't Rain on My Parade". I was thinking iconic Barbra and somehow "People" just flew out of my fingers! Sorry, I feel so silly
    It's ok cruisin, we're old remember ? I do it all the time...

Blergh
    vCash
    Ok...even though the Tony Awards snippet of Sherie Rene Scott's version of "Up the Ladder to the Roof" didn't impress me last night, I had that song stuck in my head all day and ended up looking up information for Everyday Rapture. Apparently, it got excellent reviews in New York and sounds like a pretty interested semi-bio about her life growing up as a Mennonite and running away to New York to become an actress. I ended up buying the song on itunes.

Her rendition of it is better than The Supremes' version, IMO. But then I'm sure the lead singer (not Diana Ross) was forced to hold back to give the more poppy version that Barry Gordon wanted for Motown.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Everyday Rapture was actually one of the shows I enjoyed the most this season though I saw it at Second Stage before it transferred to Broadway.

vCash
    I agree. I think she has a very powerful voice, but when she belts, she loses something.

Maybe Lea Solonga could give Barbra tunes a run for their money.
    Not too sure about that. Salonga has never been fond of "belting it out", though she's good at projecting her voice out into the audience where emphasis is needed. She's always seemed to prefer a softer, more naturalistic singing style as opposed to the stylized belting techniques that Streisand or Lupone would use. But then Salonga is also one of those rare singers who actually sounds better in live performance than on her recorded albums...

But either way, at 39, Salonga is likely too old for a role like Funny Girl. It's going to be difficult to cast. There hasn't really been any new young female ingenue Broadway starlets with great pipes to come along over the last 10 years now except for Sutton Foster and Lea Michele. And as has been discussed, I'm pretty sure Michele's calendar is booked solid for the next couple of years.

As for comparisons to Streisand, it's going to happen to anyone who attempts the role no matter how good an actress and singer they may be.

vCash
    Sutton Foster is 35 ... pushing it for "young ingenue"

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast