Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    I think Gwyneth beat Cate Blanchett (in Elizabeth). Yes, a robbery.
    Was Judi nominated for Mrs. Brown that year,? Judi did win for Shakespeare In Love as supporting (about 99% sure)
    Either Cate or Judi more deserving, IMHO.
    Mrs. Brown was the year before. She lost to Helen Hunt for As Good As It Gets. I think Dench should have won that year, but Julia Christie was also fabulous in Afterglow.

Dench has also lost to Hallie Barry (when Dench was in Iris), Reese Witherspoon (when Dench was in Mrs. Henderson Presents), and Helen Mirren (when Dench was in Notes on a Scandal).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    Didn't Lea already perform that song on Glee? I remember being impressed by it at the time. Or am I imagining things?
    Yep. She also performed it on that same stage a couple of weeks ago as part of the Glee tour.

vCash
    I loved watching this show and really want to see "Millionaire Quartet" (I believe that's the name). I also LOVED Green Day and songs they performed!

vCash
    I hope CZJ went to see her dentist today, because her teeth must be way sore from all that scenery-chewing she did last night. Ack! She can really sing, but I don't think she did a very good job with that song....

I'm not a fan of Glee at all and I'm tired of the hype. I know it was probably a choice for TV ratings to have the two Glee stars perform, but I would sooner have seen performances from current shows (like, say, Barbara Cook, or something from The Addams Family).

And although again I understand that the hosts, presenters, etc. are chosen for TV value, I did find myself wishing that there was more emphasis on the stage actors, since that's what the Tonys are about.

None of the musicals really did a lot for me, but I think I would like to see Fela or American Idiot just because they look kinda different. I thought the song from Memphis was really lame - I hope the rest of the show is better....

And (random fashion comment) why was Jada Pinkett Smith wearing two sofa cushions on her chest? The top of her dress was about a foot wider than she was.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Believe me, you don't want to see anything from the Addams Family.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I liked Matthew Morrison's number. He can sing and dance. And he's cute in an offbeat sorta way.

Lea Michelle shouldn't sing "Don't Rain on my Parade" - some songs just belong to some folks, that's all. Just like when Jennifer Hudson sang "And I am Telling You". The song BELONGS to Jennifer Holliday. "Parade" BELONGS to Barbra! JMHO.

vCash
    I actually have seen all of the musical nominees and most of the plays (though I am seeing Red during its last weekend).

- Hodge is an embarrassment, but I am not shocked he won.
    - I was pulling for Steggert as a featured actor, not the dude from Jersey Boys lite.
    - Memphis is an atrocity and sure it is original, but also a complete (bad) derivative of Hairspray and Dreamgirls.
    - I was pulling for Fela but if I had not seen the show and was basing my decision to see it on the telecast, I would not be compelled to buy tickets.
    - Green Day had way more time to perform than any other entity and I fail to see the appeal.

The reason the show was so wretched (apart from the heavy use of non-theatrical "stars" to present awards, the pandering opening number, the horrible sound, and the appalling camera work) is the season just, well, sucked. Here's hoping next season has some depth and originality. Hopefully it will with Scottsboro Boys, Women on the Verge, and Yank coming on the boards. I would also gain some more respect for Broadway (musical theatre specifically) if it rewarded nascent originality and promoted new musical theatre composers and gave them a voice- not just composers who are actually rock musicians.

I'm glad I chose last year to go in person to the awards and not this year. Ugh. I detest the attempts to appeal to middle America. Move the Tonys back to PBS, put them in a Broadway theatre, and maybe I will gain back some respect for the awards. On the upside, at least I didn't have to sit through the bazillionth touring company of Mamma Mia and Jersey Boys.
    Last edited by toepick; 06-14-2010 at 09:55 PM.

vCash
    I did like at the end of the award show, that the cast of Memphis was singing their song. Made it seem more festive.

I enjoy the Tony awards for lots of reasons, but the musical numbers are my favorite.
    I enjoyed Sean Hayes. I saw him in Damn Yankees a few years ago with Jane Krakowski, and he is a good entertainer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by toepick View Post
    Memphis is an atrocity and sure it is original, but also a complete (bad) derivative of Hairspray and Dreamgirls.
    Interesting comment, because the song on the telecast reminded me *very* much of "You Can't Stop the Beat" or whatever it's called from Hairspray. I assume the Memphis song is also the big uplifting number at the end of the show?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Interesting comment, because the song on the telecast reminded me *very* much of "You Can't Stop the Beat" or whatever it's called from Hairspray. I assume the Memphis song is also the big uplifting number at the end of the show?
    Yep it is. The composer of Hairspray actually has mentioned the similarities. However, he did it better.

This is a show (Memphis) that also has an awful song entitled "Everyone Wants to Be Black on Saturday Night..." Wrong? Yes. In so many ways.

vCash
    Well, You Can't Stop the Beat was derivative from the pop sounds of the late 50s and early 60s, and if Memphis is a musical about music from that time period as well, of course there will be similarities.

Anyway, I really do hope that next season will be much better in terms of original content.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I thought Sean's line, after kissing Kristen Chenoweth, "I know what your'e thinking, she's too SHORT for me", was hilarious, ROFL!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post

Lea Michelle shouldn't sing "Don't Rain on my Parade" - some songs just belong to some folks, that's all...The song "Parade" BELONGS to Barbra! JMHO.
    Lea Michelle would forever suffer comparisions to Barbra.
    I can't imagine her in the role of Fanny Brice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    I
    Zeta-Jones held her own, I must admit, though I'm over her and Angela's replacements: Bernadette Peters and Elaine Stritch!
    Bernadette Peters in that role? I don't want to get lynched, but isn't she a little old for it? I mean better voice than Zeta-Jones, but...?

Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post
    Sean's doing a great job!
    Yes he did! He is soooooooo talented. Has anyone heard him play the piano? I so want to see him with KC in Promises, Promises.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Bernadette Peters in that role? I don't want to get lynched, but isn't she a little old for it? I mean better voice than Zeta-Jones, but...?
    Well, Bernadette is 62 and CZJ is 40. Desiree has a daughter, about 13.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post
    Well, Bernadette is 62 and CZJ is 40. Desiree has a daughter, about 13.

Yeah, that's what I mean. 62 is a little old for having a 13 year old.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by toepick View Post

Hopefully it will with Scottsboro Boys, Women on the Verge, and Yank coming on the boards.
    Yank One of my former castmates when I did show (not shows... show) in NYC is in that. He is the first of our cast to *hopefully* get to Broadway. Another is an international fashion model and another is a regular on some show on cable. And here I am... temping for two more weeks, then S.O.L.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    None of the musicals really did a lot for me, but I think I would like to see Fela or American Idiot just because they look kinda different. I thought the song from Memphis was really lame - I hope the rest of the show is better....
    I saw Fela in April. It was very good, but kind of confusing. It was sometimes hard to understand the dialog, because of a heavy accent. It's sort of a running autobiographical diolog. Fela is on stage throughout the play and basically tells his life story while the history, political activism, music, and dance happen around, with, through him. This might help, if you do go to see it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fela_Kuti

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I have to say the Tonys were absolutely god-awful last night. All the "new" musicals looked utterly tragic. I was stunned Catherine Zeta-Jones won best actress after that hideous rendition of "Send in the Clowns.: Send in the Vocal Coach would have been more appropriate.

Highlight of the program was Viola Davis' speech and Sean Hayes coming out dressed as Billy Elliott, which was just so frong but hilarious!
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I saw Fela in April. It was very good, but kind of confusing. It was sometimes hard to understand the dialog, because of a heavy accent. It's sort of a running autobiographical diolog. Fela is on stage throughout the play and basically tells his life story while the history, political activism, music, and dance happen around, with, through him. This might help, if you do go to see it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fela_Kuti
    Yeah, I agree Fela! was confusing and it definitely wasn't a perfect musical, but it felt new and fresh to me. I didn't see Memphis, but it looks so derivative and blah. The Tony Awards always seem to go with the safe/money-making choice. I guess I can't blame them since the financial situation on Broadway is so bad, but it's getting tiresome. I mean In The Heights over Passing Strange, Billy Elliot over Next to Normal, and now Memphis over Fela!. I mean, Passing Strange, Next to Normal, and Fela! weren't perfect shows, but they were trying to do something new and I thought with Passing Strange they definitely succeeded. I didn't see Next to Normal, but I think Fela! definitely would have been a more interesting winner.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast