Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

The TONY Awards!

Grab that beaded clutch and a cocktail, its a Gay High Holy Day!

True, some of the nominees are just , but until the laws change, we party faithful will be

BEST PLAY
    "In the Next Room (or the vibrator play)," "Next Fall," "Red," "Time Stands Still."

BEST MUSICAL
    "American Idiot," "Fela!" "Memphis," "Million Dollar Quartet."

BEST BOOK OF A MUSICAL
    "Everyday Rapture," "Fela!" "Memphis," "Million Dollar Quartet."

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE (MUSIC AND/OR LYRICS) WRITTEN FOR THE THEATER
    "The Addams Family," "Enron," "Fences," "Memphis."

BEST REVIVAL OF A PLAY
    "Fences," "Lend Me a Tenor," "The Royal Family," "A View From the Bridge,"

BEST REVIVAL OF A MUSICAL
    "Finian’s Rainbow," "La Cage aux Folles," "A Little Night Music," "Ragtime.

BEST PERFORMANCE BY A LEADING ACTOR IN A PLAY
    Jude Law, "Hamlet"; Alfred Molina, "Red"; Liev Schreiber, "A View From the Bridge"; Christopher Walken, "A Behanding in Spokane"; Denzel Washington, "Fences."

BEST PERFORMANCE BY A LEADING ACTRESS IN A PLAY
    Viola Davis, "Fences"; Valerie Harper, "Looped"; Linda Lavin, "Collected Stories"; Laura Linney, "Time Stands Still"; Jan Maxwell, "The Royal Family."

BEST PERFORMANCE BY A LEADING ACTOR IN A MUSICAL
    Kelsey Grammer, "La Cage aux Folles"; Sean Hayes, "Promises, Promises"; Douglas Hodge, "La Cage aux Folles"; Chad Kimball, "Memphis"; Sahr Ngujah, "Fela!"

BEST PERFORMANCE BY A LEADING ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL
    Kate Baldwin, "Finian’s Rainbow"; Montego Glover, "Memphis"; Christiane Noll, "Ragtime"; Sherie Rene Scott, "Everyday Rapture"; Catherine Zeta-Jones, "A Little Night Music.

vCash
    hmmm I see a large number of major motion picture actors listed there, is that a new trend? I don't really follow theatre..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    hmmm I see a large number of major motion picture actors listed there, is that a new trend?
    IMHO, I think it's more of a trend to try to strengthen already weak material by having a "name" in the cast, like having Bebe and Nathan in "Addams Family".

Sometimes it feels like the parade of guest stars you get when a popular sitcom is slowly dying.

It's nice when you get a movie person doing a kick-ass job on the "legitimate stage", like Denzel in "Fences" or Hugh Jackman in "A Steady Rain" (totally snubbed of a nomination).

Zeta-Jones held her own, I must admit, though I'm over her and Angela's replacements: Bernadette Peters and Elaine Stritch!
    Last edited by Fergus; 06-13-2010 at 05:14 PM.

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    I love this show. The only award show that has anything to do with talent. The only award show worth watching IMHO. I still have fond memories of being in NYC in the '70's and watching this in the television lounge of the old Barbazon Hotel, in a room full of aspiring and has been actresses. Fun times!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    I still have fond memories of being in NYC in the '70's and watching this in the television lounge of the old Barbazon Hotel, in a room full of aspiring and has been actresses. Fun times!
    Oooh, that sounds so Kate and Ginger in "Stage Door"! Fabulous!

It's either a very big ice rink, or there's a lake under there.
    vCash
    The Youths of the Country are embracing music theatre. The Glee Generation

Tony Awards Official site This is the first year I remember seeing so many clips, etc., ahead of time. (Maybe they've been doing it in recent years and I just didn't check it out.) Great for those who don't live/ haven't visited NYC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    I love this show. The only award show that has anything to do with talent. The only award show worth watching IMHO. I still have fond memories of being in NYC in the '70's and watching this in the television lounge of the old Barbazon Hotel, in a room full of aspiring and has been actresses. Fun times!
    And they give the best speeches too.

Watch me move
    vCash
    And it's the annual chance for those of us in the sticks, who only get a C-list touring production once in a while, to see what we're missing in the Big Apple.....sigh.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    And it's the annual chance for those of us in the sticks, who only get a C-list touring production once in a while, to see what we're missing in the Big Apple.....sigh.
    How true!

vCash
    Well, one of the best things about NYC is that it welcomes visitors and newbies from all over!

There are some great online hotel deals for under $200 a night.

I'm interested to see how Hayes does tonight. He's usually fairly goofy and almost naughty when he's "live" at awards shows, seems like a natural fit for hosting.

OMG and "Glee"-volvement as well!

vCash
    I wonder if NPH is busy or if the organizers were worried that he might be overexposed already.

vCash
    I did see Fela! a few months ago when I was New York and thought it was very good. The lead actor Sahr Ngujah was unbelievable. I'd like to see him and the musical win, but I haven't seen the other nominees and I heard it didn't make that much money so that's probably a factor.

siouxdonym,

Most of the time, Broadway producers put in movie actors in plays to sell tickets since overall the financial situation on Broadway is pretty dire right now and having a "name" does help. Sometimes, the film actors do a great job (like Catherine Zeta Jones-I haven't seen the musical, but I think she got pretty good reviews), sometimes it's an embarrassment-Julia Roberts in Three Days of Rain, Denzel Washington in Julius Caesar (he seems to have redeemed himself this past season).

I do agree that the Tony Awards is usually the most entertaining awards show, but, while all the nominees are talented, the best work, IMO, has not been winning or nominated these past few years. Especially in the best musical category where they usually reward the biggest earner. The nominations for the Grease revival in 2008, for example, were ludicrous.
    Last edited by jenny12; 06-13-2010 at 08:40 PM.

vCash
    Not a lot of productions that I'm interested in this year, and I'm over no nomination for Tony Shalhoub, but I'll probably still put it on anyway.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Early Creative Awards announced which won't be show on the broadcast:

Best Orchestration: Memphis
    Best Book of a Musical: Memphis
    Best Costume Design/Play: The Royal Family
    Best Costume Design/Musical: Fela
    Best Lighting Design/Play: Red
    Best Lighting Design/Musical: American Idiot
    Best Scenic Design/Play: Red
    Best Scenic Design/Musical: American Idiot
    Best Sound Design/Play: Red
    Best Sound Design/Musical: Fela

(I missed the first award, which went to Memphis)
    Last edited by soxxy; 06-14-2010 at 12:45 AM.

vCash
    Joe DiPietro from "Memphis" thinks everyone is "fantastical".

vCash
    So we're still in the creative department and the awards are already gettin' spread around, interesting.

It's either a very big ice rink, or there's a lake under there.
    vCash
    I've only been half-watching the pre-telecast online stuff because I didn't want to get "plum wore out" too soon in the evening. But then I thought, hell, I only get to see all this stuff once a year anyway, might as well pig out.

Why are they playing Bernstein and Hermann and Lerner & Loewe and whoever as walk-on music for people from *other* shows?

vCash
    Aw, British ginger scenic design queen from "Red" is overwhelmed, how sweet.

vCash
    Hippie scenic design gal from "American Idiot" has two kids named Pilot and Ever.

And she called someone "Jesus and Judy".

vCash
    10 competitive awards AND special/lifetime achievement in under an hour.

Oscars, take note.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast