Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I love Pina and don't mind them keeping it (would love to see different costumes) but I have a feeling they'll be marked down for keeping a program, even if it has twice the transitions and innovation as everyone else. The judges are itching to give titles to V&T.
    That's what I am really worried about as well. :/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I love Pina and don't mind them keeping it (would love to see different costumes) but I have a feeling they'll be marked down for keeping a program, even if it has twice the transitions and innovation as everyone else. The judges are itching to give titles to V&T.

I was kind of thinking that this year they might do throw 3a at the beginning of the LP and the 3flip in the second half (since it's so secure now), but that's probably not going to happen because Pina is too difficult already. "Kismet" is very athletic/powerful so I'm guessing they'll continue trying the 3a in the short.
    Many top skaters have kept programs for two years and it didn't hurt them (Patrick Chan comes to my mind). Of course the Russian side is politicking quite a bit and maybe they'll try to use this as an argument against Savchenko/Szolkowy. But even if they do, it will depend on the judges whether they'll go with it or not. There are some judges that will vote against the German couple no matter what, even if they came up with a new program for each competition. Savchenko/Szolkowy need to be brilliant in order to win and they know it.

I think keeping "Pina" can turn out to be a very good move. If they refine it further and perform it to its full potential it will be a big plus for them. The program can grow and develop even more. Also, not having to work on a new program might give them more room to develop something extraordinary for the Olympic season.

As for the throw triple Axel, they plan to do it in the short. I don't know about the free.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    There are a couple of awkward places in "Pina" that would look fine on a dance floor, but don't have the same impact on ice, that I hope are the ones that are changed, but for the most part, I think "Pina" is brilliant. The only thing that concerns me is that refinement has never been Ingo Steuer's strong point, and I think that's what the program needed.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    I'm not sure how I feel about them keeping Pina. On one hand they never perfected it but on the other hand, they're repeating a program and I'd rather see a new, even more innovative program.

vCash
    Good news from Germany: Stefano Caruso told me that he teamed up with Tanja Kolbe again. Barbara Fusar Poli will be their main coach. They will train in Milan with her, in Berlin with Rene Lohse and also work in Oberstdorf with Martin Skotnicky. They plan to go to Detroit in the middle of August to work with Shpilband as well (not definite yet).
    He said that they are happy to be skating together again and maybe needed some time off to understand how much they miss skating together. They found a good compromise to be happy in their private lifes and to progress in skating at the same time.

vCash
    that is great news. thanks for letting us know.

vCash
    Wau !!!! Welcome back !!!
    I'm really happy !!
    I hope they'll find a good balance between their lifes and skating together !!
    Good News !

vCash
    Thanks for the Galina Kukhar interview excerpt, l'etoile. I guess there are always strong reactions to people in any field who shake things up a bit and don't fit the usual mold. Ms. Kukhar nonetheless does seem to appreciate S/S and their programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    "Kismet" has been used a fair amount in skating (Shen/Zhao used it for an SP) and it's not exactly a very sophisticated piece but I think that it works perfectly for skating. It's got great energy and I can't wait to see what S/S will do with it. Very happy with that choice.

Yes. No. Galina is Ukrainian and not Russian. How can you be divided against something?

She talked about the judges' reaction and mentioned that whilst some loved it, some thought that it was their worst program so far.

I can believe that because "Pina" is really sophisticated and not flashy at all, therefore sadly some people might not appreciate its brilliance.
    Yes, "divided against," is not the best choice of words, altho' I was repeating the word you originally used: "divided reactions." Probably "mixed reactions" is a better way to phrase it.

This reference to "worst" and S/S/S I'm not getting. I think what these unique three have accomplished together (with hard work, determination, inspiration, fierce loyalty, and a generous measure of magic) in the sport of pairs skating is nowhere near the vicinity of "worst." You're right that there are some people who incredibly fail to recognize, much less appreciate their brilliance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    Good news from Germany: Stefano Caruso told me that he teamed up with Tanja Kolbe again. Barbara Fusar Poli will be their main coach. They will train in Milan with her, in Berlin with Rene Lohse and also work in Oberstdorf with Martin Skotnicky. They plan to go to Detroit in the middle of August to work with Shpilband as well (not definite yet).
    He said that they are happy to be skating together again and maybe needed some time off to understand how much they miss skating together. They found a good compromise to be happy in their private lifes and to progress in skating at the same time.
    On ice-dance.com:

http://www.ice-dance.com/news/genera...caruso-reunite

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    This reference to "worst" and S/S/S I'm not getting. I think what these unique three have accomplished together (with hard work, determination, inspiration, fierce loyalty, and a generous measure of magic) in the sport of pairs skating is nowhere near the vicinity of "worst." You're right that there are some people who incredibly fail to recognize, much less appreciate their brilliance.
    'Their worst program' means the worst free program out of all the free programs they've done.

vCash
    ^^ Ah yeah, sure, right, okay Ziggy. Thanks for the explanation. We all have our good days and our "worst" days eh? But there's "worst" for us, and then there's "not so great" for champions and athletes such as the caliber of S/S (and champion, former athlete and choreographer of the caliber of Ingo Steuer).

I don't associate "worst" in any context with what S/S and S have accomplished over the years. I personally would never describe any of their efforts with the negative term "worst." Uh but OTOH, it's probably fair to say that they are their own hardest taskmasters and "worst" critics. They continually challenge themselves and always strive for perfection.

vCash
    By using the term "worst program" is like calling any of the Miss Universe contestants ugly; or the World Strongest Man competitors unfit, it just doesn't match.

vCash
    The German Federation will hold 3 test skates aKa monitoring sessions for the JGPs.

They are
    28. / 29. Juli for Courchevel & Lake Placid
    18. / 19. August for Linz, Istanbul & Bled
    08. / 09. September for Zagreb & Dresden

though going by this interview
    http://www.figureskating-online.com/...olizoakis.html
    the initial JGPs have been assigned already so I guess the monitoring really comes into play to decide if the skaters are really ready to go

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandra_persch View Post
    The German Federation will hold 3 test skates aKa monitoring sessions for the JGPs.

They are
    28. / 29. Juli for Courchevel & Lake Placid
    18. / 19. August for Linz, Istanbul & Bled
    08. / 09. September for Zagreb & Dresden

though going by this interview
    http://www.figureskating-online.com/...olizoakis.html
    the initial JGPs have been assigned already so I guess the monitoring really comes into play to decide if the skaters are really ready to go
    thanks the lord for that. the last few years it often seemed lik some of the junior skaters were totally out of or form or not in form yet, so let´s hope the number of 'bad' performances will get reduced by that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    thanks the lord for that. the last few years it often seemed lik some of the junior skaters were totally out of or form or not in form yet, so let´s hope the number of 'bad' performances will get reduced by that
    they did monitoring last year as well but with so many injured skaters and so many not wanting to do the first few we still got a lot of weak performances. but last season it seemed that a lot of the younger ladies did really improve and push the older ones so fingers crossed they will do better.

vCash
    Does anyone know if the JGP in Dresden, Germany will take place as planned?

At the moment the roof of the Ice Arena in Dresden is under repair and according to the newspapers this is expected to be finished at the end of October. But the JPG is supposed to take place Oct. 10 - 14. Or will it be at another place (i.e. Chemnitz) or even cancelled?

vCash
    It will be cool if when S/S bring Pina fp back, they have brought some interesting changes/ additions, along with some rockin' new costumes. Perhaps Aliona in something black with red flowers as at :27 - :30 in below clip (with Robin in all black with red accents on his top, or Robin in all light blue like the man in the clip who catches the woman in the black/red dress); or Aliona in the deep orangey short dress seen at about :56 (with Robin in white pants and sleeveless deep yellow top); or Aliona in deep red dress patterned after the one at 1:10 (with Robin in all white).

For movement additions to Pina: Perhaps a version of the running move and leaping into arms; and/or the toe-tapping on pointe while turning in a circle by Aliona, with an abrupt grabbing of her arm and pulling her to one side by Robin as she holds onto his arm and he turns her around and around in a spin with her legs open and feet pointed. Maybe even some version of the unusual move with Robin leaning briefly on Aliona's back, but done quickly with her not exactly carrying him as in the clip at :50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNuQVS7q7-A

vCash
    The Hermit the Frog costumes definitely have to go!

vCash
    What are you talking about?! It's so cute!

vCash
    The costumes could be more contemporary, but '"Hermit the Frog" ? Although the costumes are simple and classic, the colour is really beautiful and unusual for figure skating (which, in my eyes, makes it even more beautiful). It seems that most figure skating fans (at least here on 'FSU') are simply incredibly conservative. Anything that is not quite classic, and departs from the usual/standard is considered tateless and weird . Such a pity.

Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast