Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Isn't standard funding for top athletes in Germany through military (reserve) positions and salary? S/S gave up theirs when they were told they'd have to give up Steuer as their coach or their positions. I would think that having corporate sponsors in Germany is relatively new territory.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Top athletes in wintersports are most of the time funded by military.Szolkowy made a big sacrifice when he stayed with Steuer.There are wintersports that have corporate sponsors like biathlon,which is very popular in Germany.

I am glad that they have now a sponsor since they have so little recognition in Germany.

vCash
    ^^ Was figure skating always disregarded this way in Germany, even when Anett Poetzsch, Woetzel/ Steuer, Katarina Witt, Jan Hoffman, Norbert Schramm, and Tanja Szewczenko were competing?

What S/S and S have accomplished in pairs skating is that much more amazing since they obviously don't receive much political backing.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 11-08-2012 at 08:25 PM.

vCash
    http://www.stern.de/sport/sportwelt/....html?srtest=1
    As I understand, Aliona is still ill and they are not sure if they'll go to TEB. Ingo says, they will decide about participation next week.

vCash
    ^^ Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Hope Aliona recovers soon and feels stronger.

If S/S don't make TEB, then they'll have more time to recover and prepare for Europeans and Worlds, but will miss GPF. I hope they might also rethink a bit their fp costumes and choreo. I really enjoy their costumes and music for their sp, but I haven't warmed to their fp. There just seems to be something about the repetitive beat of Bolero that requires something unique and out of the ordinary, plus the tension in the choreo must build as the music does. Altho' their costumes were unique for fp, they too closely echo the sp costumes and seem to have nothing to do with the flamenco theme, plus the fp choreo isn't exciting enough, as yet anyway.

vCash
    By the time I wonder about German ice dance couples kolbe/caruso and hermann/hermann.
    how is their status?

k/c have repaired and were scheduled to skate at nrw trophy, but haven´t. does this team still exist or broke again?

and what about hermann/hermann? last word on their blog is from june.

anyone has news?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    k/c have repaired and were scheduled to skate at nrw trophy, but haven´t. does this team still exist or broke again?
    In this interview Barbara Fusar Poli said that Tanja injured her ankle and could not skate for a while, and that their first competition is going to be in December. I don't know if she means the National Championships. She also talked about the music for their programs, but I don't remember if they have already been mentioned.
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

vCash
    Tanja broke her foot in late August and then had a injoury at the ankle.
    They should compete at Nationals.
    They are now in Milano to train.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta24 View Post
    Unfortunaly, figure skating doesn't matter in Germany.I am glad that Eurosport is showing figure skating even if only recorded,otherwise we wouldn't have the chance to watch figure skating at all.
    In times of online tv, for us fans, it doesn't matter if TV or a download. I prefer to watch the complete coverage of Russian TV, I mostly don't care if Eurosport shows or not. I can even get HD videos online and I don't have own HD TV. But it is good that they do show skating that people can see it who don't go online. But for me as a fan I don't need it on German TV.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tut88 View Post
    Tanja broke her foot in late August and then had a injoury at the ankle.
    They should compete at Nationals.
    They are now in Milano to train.
    thanks tut88 and pingu for the news.
    hope she will recover soon. will be nice too see, that next year in german there will actually be a battle again for the euros spots with z/g, k/n und k/c

vCash
    News of Savchenko/Szolkowy:

Unfortunately they´re likely to withdraw from TEB as it´s said in a german press release

http://www.sport.de/medien/wintermix...-ungewiss.html

Aliona is still suffering from her cold, takes antibiotics and hasn´t been on the ice since.
    yesterday they started with off-ice-training again.

as it´s said in the article, steuer made a bid at isu council for a kind of bye to the grand prix final (if not taking part at TEB) , but this was declined (wonder wonder )
    the doctors prefer her staying at home and getting healthy, so we just have to wait and see.

steuer mentioned additionally that the marks for v/t in russia were kind of scnadalous and doesn´t favour the sport.

vCash
    Oh no soooo want to see them at TEB !
    but health is more important ...

I agree with Steuer about V/T s marks at CoR ,that did not feel good at all when considering the OG will take place in Russia too.It left a rather bitter taste of what could come but hopefully wont.

vCash
    for S/S.

vCash
    The battle for Sochi is already started I see !
    I think Ingo is doing fine protecting his athlets.

I'm sorry if they'll have to withdraw from Bompard and miss the final, but health is more important !

vCash
    K/N ??
    I 'm sorry, I m not really into german ice dance work, could you refresh me ?

K/C SD is on a french music
    FD on Beethoven last night + moonlight serenade

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tut88 View Post
    K/N ??
    I 'm sorry, I m not really into german ice dance work, could you refresh me ?

K/C SD is on a french music
    FD on Beethoven last night + moonlight serenade
    thanks for the music infos.

k/n is koch/nüchtern; still a junior pair, but very promising last season and jgp medallist this season. so they´re on a really high level and will mix the other seniors teams up next season.

vCash
    german pairs seem kind of cursed.

s/s are out of TEB, and vartmann/vancleave out of NHK.
    Really sad for V/vCL after gaining two spots due to last season.

So maybe we will have those pairs together with h/w at german nationals.

vCash
    Article on Savchenko/Szolkowy's withdrawal from TEB with comments from coach Ingo Steuer: http://www.sport.de/medien/wintermix...-paris-ab.html
    He said that the doctors advised against competing. Aliona took antibiotics for a prolonged time and her training was limited. He said it is a shame, but Aliona's health has priority.

vCash
    Sorry to hear about their withdrawal.

About sponsors: They were not sponsored by Audi but received some financial backing by a local car dealer. That was of course not nearly enough.

About other famous German figure skaters: Some of them that were mentioned above competed for the GDR (former East Germany) where the whole system was different and athlets received a lot of financial support.
    The rest had to make due with being in the German army and receiving support from them.

vCash
    S/S is on the senior pairs entry. Did they officially announce it or is it just for precaution?

Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast