Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Their costumes were not exactly "Hermit the Frog" green. They are more accurately aquamarine, or teal, with Robin in black pants:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...DKgzp_NQc&NR=1

I agree with lauravvv that the teal colour is unexpected and interesting for figure skating. The costumes actually gave me a sense of modern dance in the colour and styling, and perhaps that is what they were going for, as modern dance is their theme.

I suggested that they come back with some different costuming (which they probably will) so as to make the program fresh and different for the new season. I only suggested some of the colours in the Pina clip because of their program having been inspired by the film. I don't see the teal colour in any costumes worn by dancers in the clip (but then again, unfortunately, I have not seen the entire film).

Whatever happens, I'm stoked.

A trip down memory lane 2006 GPF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBRKR8y9GPs

The above so innovative (and they are still innovating).

The 2007 European championship version:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ipkwkZBK2Q ... goosebumps (they were skating near home country and were just in such a zone together on the ice!)

The first time I ever saw or heard of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRioQnGihlo Worlds 2005 Casablanca

The Canadian commentators in the above clip mentioned the lasso lift S/S did as being one of the most difficult pairs lifts. I don't see it being done that much now, altho' commentators seemed to indicate that it was coming back then under the new scoring system because of the ability to get credit under the new system (that is if you have the ability to perform it well). It is a pretty lift visually.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 07-31-2012 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Warsaw not home country ;)

vCash
    Loved the costume but he needs to shave his armpit.

vCash
    ^^ Yeah I recall that Robin's underarm sweat was visible on his costume during Worlds, but so what! He's an athlete, he's human -- they won anyway.

And how do you know for sure he doesn't shave his armpits, btw?

Whatever, with a sleeveless or black top, sweat might not show as much. I don't recall ever seeing Robin with sweaty armpits during a performance, but again, so what. They overcame their nerves.

(V/T overcame their sloppy sp too, and deserved excellent marks, but I think V/T were slightly over-marked in fp to ensure they would be pulled up enough from their disastrous sp placement to challenge S/S. V/T's overly high scores in fp almost gave them the win, which I didn't think would have been quite fair due to a poor sp. I never liked V/T's sp last season.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post

The 2007 European championship version:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ipkwkZBK2Q ... goosebumps (they were skating in their home country and were just in such a zone together on the ice!)
    in their home country? the 2007 euros were held in warsaw poland is not exactly their home country.

but i wish we would have a big figure skating competition again in germany, dortmund 2004 is so long ago.

by the way, the jgp in germany was moved from dreseden to chemnitz, because the rink in dresden is under repair and wil not get finish in time

vCash
    ^^ Sorry ... Although I love geography, I guess I fail at it this time, and I'm reminded once again that it always pays to check and not assume.

In any case, isn't Poland located next to Germany? So, pretty close, no? Is Warsaw close enough to German border for S/S German fans to have made a fairly quick trip, or is it long hours away from S/S home base?

In any case, S/S were obviously very inspired when they skated at Europeans that year. They had been dealing with so much at that time: injuries, funding issues, Ingo's political problems. Another reason why I love this team is their fierce loyalty and determination.

Yes and S/S weren't skating in Dortmund in 2004. So, with S/S multi-winning champions, it is too bad that 2013 Worlds is not in Germany instead of Canada.

vCash
    I thought that the shade of green was ugly and the design really tasteless.

It wasn't 'simple and chic', it was just bad.

In any case, isn't Poland located next to Germany? So, pretty close, no? Is Warsaw close enough to German border for S/S German fans to have made a fairly quick trip, or is it long hours away from S/S home base?

vCash
    ^^ Ahhh, so you're 28 Ziggy .... yeah, I know: "What's age got to do with it?"

And yeah, perhaps geography had little to do with S/S inspired skate in 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    The Hermit the Frog costumes definitely have to go!
    IMO, just to reiterate, I don't feel S/S Pina costumes look anything close to that Muppet frog's colour -- and his name is "Kermit" btw.

vCash
    IMO, just to reiterate, I don't feel S/S Pina costumes look anything close to that Muppet frog's colour -- and his name is "Kermit" btw.
    Ok so let's spell it out for you then:

1) No, Savchenko/Szolkowy's costumes weren't light green like Kermit. They were dark green like a corpse that has been rotting in the water for 4 weeks. A hideous colour.

2) Overuse of illusion fabric isn't stylish or elegant, it is a crime against humanity.

3) Roman's outfit was simple and wouldn't be bad if not for the top tucked inside the trousers, Simon Cowell style.

4) 'Hermit' was obviously a play on words. As in nobody should actually leave the house wearing that shit.
    Also: this.

P.S. Warsaw is in Eastern Poland, nowhere near the German border which would take you no more than 3 seconds to google.

vCash
    ^^ Ahhh, so you're 28 Ziggy .... yeah, I know: "What's age got to do with it?"

And yeah, perhaps geography had little to do with S/S inspired skate in 2007.
    While you are at it - I suggest you not only google geography but also history. Then you would know that Germany and Poland had a lot of issues in their history and that to call S/S competing in their home country when they compete in Poland could even be considered in insult in Poland.

And for your information - just because a country in Europe may be close to another it does not mean that they are similar or that they feel the European spirit in a way that they root for people from other European countries in sports. That is such a strange concept that Americans have.

vCash
    I can't believe that anyone can see green in their costumes, it is a blue shade. And a great one, I think (well, that is personal taste, but definetely no green. Unless you also call turquoise a shade of green instead of blue...)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sus2850 View Post
    I can't believe that anyone can see green in their costumes, it is a blue shade. And a great one, I think (well, that is personal taste, but definetely no green. Unless you also call turquoise a shade of green instead of blue...)
    I guess a lot would depend on what color your computer/TV screen is set at. I see it as a darker turquoise/greenish.

I like the costumes, very modern dance but I can see her wearing more of a unitard with a small skirt as well.

vCash
    I assumed Ziggy saw them live. I did. But of course: You can never know what others see, I had a colourblind friend who always got furious when others tried to ask him about what exactly he sees. I guess it is futile to argue, sorry...

vCash
    I think Aliona herself described the colour as petrol. Petrol is actually a shade of greenish blue.

vCash
    Ok, correction: A hideous shade of green/blue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    1) No, Savchenko/Szolkowy's costumes weren't light green like Kermit. They were dark green like a corpse that has been rotting in the water for 4 weeks. A hideous colour..
    What a stupid statement, really. A rotten corpse doesn't look anything close to it. Any logically thinking being would undesrtand that even without seeing it.

2) Overuse of illusion fabric isn't stylish or elegant, it is a crime against humanity.
    Just your personal opinion. Not fact, or anything close to it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by la.louise View Post
    I think Aliona herself described the colour as petrol. Petrol is actually a shade of greenish blue.
    Or bluish green . At least that's what my TV (adjusted to show quite natural colours) and two computers (in various videos) show.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    While you are at it - I suggest you not only google geography but also history. Then you would know that Germany and Poland had a lot of issues in their history and that to call S/S competing in their home country when they compete in Poland could even be considered in insult in Poland.

And for your information - just because a country in Europe may be close to another it does not mean that they are similar or that they feel the European spirit in a way that they root for people from other European countries in sports. That is such a strange concept that Americans have.
    Hi Hedwig, and thanks! Points very well taken. Might make interesting further discussion in Politically Incorrect forum ... or not. So sorry to offend Europeans and others from any country for my uneducated geographical comments. However, my comments didn't extend to the notion that European fans are all that skating family friendly (despite the fact there has historically been a lot of political region-based bloc voting among ISU judges).

Most of all, it'd be so cool to be able to ask Aliona and Robin about their memories of that inspired skate! And that is "Robin" btw, Ziggy, not "Roman," unless you're making another play on names that has gone completely over my head.

As far as your detestation and dastardly dismissive descriptions of the colour of S/S Pina costumes, Ziggy

And yeah I'm sometimes too lazy to google and sometimes leave that to smarter 28-year-old know-it-alls who enjoy "breaking things down" for us less knowledgeable more lazy know-it-alls.

vCash
    . However, my comments didn't extend to the notion that European fans are all that skating family friendly (despite the fact there has historically been a lot of political region-based bloc voting among ISU judges).
    No you didn't. Others have done so however in the past. And your comment about the bloc voting (that you think happened) goes in a similar direction.
    Judges from countries like Ukraine and Russia might be closer than say a judge from Spain and Canada (although today you never know) but again - that is because of history. And if the judge from the Ukraine happened to be from an oppressed by the Russians family it might even be the opposite.
    For the rest - there is no reason why for instance a judge from Poland and a judge from France should be any closer than the respective judges with a judge from the US.
    Actually, someone from Poland might have an extra incentive not to satisfy someone from Russia.

For someone from the US Europe often seems to appear like one big thing with several slightly different states. That we are all in fact completely different countries that are at times as dissimilar as can possible be is apparently hard to grasp. And that there are not many common goals and wishes as well.
    I hope that it changes because I am a big fan of the European idea but we are far from being there.

vCash
    European history is fascinating, absolutely. Personally, I've never thought of Europe as "one big thing." FS history is quite fascinating too ... it has yet to be fully researched, analyzed and written. As far as politics-based scoring and "bloc-judging" of various kinds, I doubt I'm alone in "thinking" it happened/ happens.

However overly dramatic (and distracting at that moment) Terry Gannon might have been in his "political/ethnic history-related" comments during the 2007 Europeans broadcast of S/S fp, the connections Terry was trying to make were interesting. He only left out the fact of Robin's multi-ethnic background (German mother/ African father).

I actually am a fan of global unity ... and fs is a sport that is progressing more in that direction, only being held back and confounded by antiquated traditions, structures, regulations and politics. The bonhomie and bonds among skaters (and fans too) is helping to break down perhaps some of those antiquated and artificial divisions.

vCash

Savchenko/Szolkowy FS

Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy decided to do a new free program after all as Robin and Ingo told the German press.

"As always it will be something entirely new", Robin is quoted.
    "Everything has to grow and now we are ready to interpret this music", Aliona said.
    Ingo said that they first wanted to keep Pina and only change a part in the middle but it didn't work out the way they wanted and so they decided to do something different.

But the music is still secret. :-)

http://www.freiepresse.de/SPORT/Kuer...kel8094793.php

Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast