vCash

Red face Torvill & Dean return to Sarajevo

30 years after the record breaking and iconic free dance to Bolero, T&D will return to Sarajevo to their free dance on the 30th anniversary of their Olympic win. The money raised by their visit will be used to help build a permanent ice rink in the city.

http://www.espn.co.uk/more/sport/story/276497.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/g...e-9082179.html

vCash
    Jayne looks great in the second picture.

I don't know if it's such a good idea to perform their gold-medal winning performance again though. You can't duplicate the same magic. I didn't think Bolero was all that great when T&D did it as their exhibition GALA performance at LilliHammer in 94.

vCash
    Many would disagree.

This couldn't be more appropriate.
    They have been performing versions of Bolero, in different ways, ever since its' creation.

vCash
    This is fantastic news. I hope that viewers around the globe will be able to see it.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    The money raised by their visit will be used to help build a permanent ice rink in the city.

If the money ends up at least funding skates or more ice time for kids in Sarajevo - I will eat my words.

New ice rink in Sarajevo
    The national museum survived the brutal war and bombarding but did not manage to survive the governing of the political elites and as such was closed down with all staff fired because the government would not reach an agreement of funding. They have bigger fish to fry but building an ice rink.
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

vCash
    How wonderful to read this! I hope there will be videos of their tour and their performance to 'Bolero'. Best wishes to Sarajevo.

vCash
    @Kosjenka,
    Agree with you about Sarajevo having bigger fish to fry than building an ice rink. But at the same time, I don't think there's any harm in building the rink assuming that corruption and costs can be kept to a minimum . I think it would be nice for a former Olympic city to have a rink, especially since skiing is pretty popular too. At the very least, it's not another mall.
    I remember reading about the closing of the National Museum as well, and I'm both sad and kicking myself for not visiting the museum while I had the chance.

@Vash,
    Me too. Seconding best wishes!

T&D's performance of Bolero at the Lillehammer exhibition during the siege, is still for me, one of the most poignant performances in figure skating, as was Witt's "Where have all the flowers gone?" LP done has a tribute to the city. Having T&D return to Sarajevo to perform Bolero on the 30th anniversary of their win is wonderful.