Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Daylight Savings Time

Say I'm not sure if anyone saw my other post on this before. So I'll post again. Just a reminder to spring your clocks ahead 1hr. Sat. night for Daylight Savings Time.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Thanks for the reminder!

Just to clarify, Saturday March 12, correct?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Thanks for the reminder! Seems early this year.

vCash
    HATE it. I'm a morning person and am on the road by 7. HATE driving in the semi dark knowing that 3/4 of the folks on the road at that time are still asleep!
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Thanks for the reminder. That means I'll be getting off from work an hour earlier Sunday morning, or losing an hour Sunday morning.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    UGH - I loathe and detest daylight savings time !!!!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skamper23 View Post
    Thanks for the reminder! Seems early this year.
    It used to start the first weekend in April and end the last weekend in October, but Bush changed it (in 2007) to the second Sunday in March through the first Sunday in November.

vCash
    Yay! I love DST! But then again I'm not a morning person - I'm an evening person, and I like the chance to sometimes - sometimes! - leave work before it gets dark
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    HATE it. I'm a morning person and am on the road by 7. HATE driving in the semi dark knowing that 3/4 of the folks on the road at that time are still asleep!
    There was a study several years ago that showed a spike in accidents immediately following the time change, presumably for exactly the reason you cite.

FSWer - Thanks for the reminder. Like others, I didn't realize DST was upon us so early.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    I think we should move to DST permanently. That way we don't have to change back and forth every year. In winter time even though we would lose some daylight time in early morning, we gain daylight time in the afternoon, so it's a wash. I can't think of any serious disadvantage.

What does everyone else think?

BTW, thank you for the reminder! As usual, I had forgotten about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genegri View Post
    I think we should move to DST permanently. That way we don't have to change back and forth every year. In winter time even though we would lose some daylight time in early morning, we gain daylight time in the afternoon, so it's a wash. I can't think of any serious disadvantage.

I'd be against permanent DST. For one, it would mess up my normal wake cycle. As I said upthread, I'm a morning person, so light at that time of day is very important to me. The other issue would be visibility of kids waiting for school buses. Our system's first pickups are at 6:45 for the high school, 7:15 for the middle school. I'd be worried about hitting someone.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Even without DST there are months where it's still completely dark at 7:15am - at least where I am (and I only know this because I started taking a class that ENDS at 7:15am and when I started it was still the middle of the night looking out there).

I don't have strong feelings about DST other than loving more light in the evening and the feeling of "summer!!" while it's around. Even though we've had extended DST hours for a few years now. The only reason I would be against moving to DST all the time is that eventually someone will want a new DST to extend the light even more And what about those few places that don't do DST at all?

I do hate losing an hour of sleep though
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genegri View Post

Actually I think we should stick with "real time" i.e no DST. DST is a modern invention that really has no basis anymore - one reason it was originally brought in was to try to limit usage of incandescent lighting but the energy savings of DST are really minimal. It also really screws with peoples internal clocks. Stick with true time all year round and everyone will be just fine.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Does it really screw with peoples' internal clocks? More than a day or two?
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Here in Arizona we don't follow Daylight Saving Time (although a tiny part of the state does). I like it this way. The only problem is other people keep asking- are you now 1 hr ahead/behind or 2 because they had to reset their clocks.

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    UGH - I loathe and detest daylight savings time !!!!
    ITA...I hate it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    Actually I think we should stick with "real time" i.e no DST. DST is a modern invention that really has no basis anymore - one reason it was originally brought in was to try to limit usage of incandescent lighting but the energy savings of DST are really minimal. It also really screws with peoples internal clocks. Stick with true time all year round and everyone will be just fine.
    I really do not see the point.

Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    It can mess me up for a couple of weeks. As for my sister, being diabetic it totally messes with her medication schedule.
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Definitely! Takes me the better part of a week to adjust.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    It can take as long as 6 weeks according to studies. The effect is worse on shift workers. That's why I hate driving in to work just after "spring forward"

vCash
    Love it, yippee skippee, I get fat in the winter, so no excuses now, will be starting my outdoors walking program with DST and the beginning of Spring warmer weather.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    ITA...I hate it!!

I really do not see the point.

It can mess me up for a couple of weeks. As for my sister, being diabetic it totally messes with her medication schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    It can take as long as 6 weeks according to studies. The effect is worse on shift workers. That's why I hate driving in to work just after "spring forward"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Love it, yippee skippee, I get fat in the winter, so no excuses now, will be starting my outdoors walking program with DST and the beginning of Spring warmer weather.
    So... isnt it really the adjustment that screws you up? So, if we stuck with one time or the other, you'd adjust once, and then it'd be good? I'm with whoever said just stick with DST. No more adjustments needed, and it wouldnt be dark so dang early.
    Erm.... I got nothin'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast