Thread: Champs Camp?

vCash

Champs Camp?

Is there going to be a Champs Camp this year and if so, does anyone know when? (crossing fingers that it's during the week I'm in Colorado)

vCash
    August 26-29 in Colorado Springs (it's for the U.S. Senior Grand Prix skaters only).

vCash
    Oh well, it's a month after my visit, guess I'll have to settle for reading about it in Skating magazine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    August 26-29 in Colorado Springs (it's for the U.S. Senior Grand Prix skaters only).
    what a pity for the Junior skaters, it must have always been very inspiring for the to meet up with the seniors.... is it because of financial problems?

vCash
    This year there possibly could end up being a higher number of U.S. skaters with Senior Grand Prix assignments than the number of Team A and B envelope skaters combined (35), so I don't think $$$ is a reason.

vCash
    More about Champs Camp:

This year's Champs Camp will be performance based. Athletes will perform their short program and free skate programs (ice dancing teams - short and free dances) in a simulated competition environment. The camp will also include technical feedback sessions, pre-participation physical exams, mental training sessions and a half-day seminar.
    http://usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=428

vCash
    ^ That's good news, so we'll have a sneak peek of some new programs in 2 months (if they'll be posted online).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aymkjb88 View Post
    (if they'll be posted online).
    Don't count on seeing any program videos posted from Champs Camp. Liberty and Skate Detroit are much better bets.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-18-2010 at 09:37 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aymkjb88 View Post
    ^ That's good news, so we'll have a sneak peek of some new programs in 2 months (if they'll be posted online).
    I doubt they'll be posted online. I'm sure the monitoring sessions will be closed to all but USFS officials, skaters and coaches.

vCash
    actually- i like this , that way the skaters and /or coaches know what the skater really needs to do for the competition.
    are they really prepared/ready for the senior grand prix events.
    i think this should have been done a long time ago. (i mean having to do the long and short programs ).

The summer competition some just do short, some just do long. So it wasn't really an harbinger of what the skater/team could do in the season, just more to assess their progress at that point; not to see if they was ready.

sorry my take or thought.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Don't count on seeing any program videos posted from Champs Camp. Liberty and Skate Detroit are much better bets.
    I would suggest going to Liberty, Detroit or Glacier Falls to watch those skaters that will be going to ISP seminars and monitoring. While you can't watch the monitoring sessions, many of the skaters will be competiting in the Junior and Senior events to be held prior.

I will give a plug for Glacier Falls Summer classic, to be held early August in Anaheim, CA.

See www.glacierfalls.com.
    Happy Skating!

Crzesk8dad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by query5 View Post
    The summer competition some just do short, some just do long. So it wasn't really an harbinger of what the skater/team could do in the season, just more to assess their progress at that point; not to see if they was ready.

sorry my take or thought.
    Even though the spectators may have only seen a sp or lp, the skaters are still required to do both during the monitoring sessions. The higher ranked teams could have the monitoring sessions at their home rinks, so I think combining it with Champs Camp now, just means the USFS officials won't have to travel around to the different home rinks.