Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    I don't want Joannie to retire I was still so looking forward to seeing her new competitive programs for next season. Somehow I have a feeling that she still has more competitive fire left in her, and just needs more time to regroup and rejuvenate. I want to see how far she can take her skating now that she doesn't have the pressure of proving herself as she did before. I really hope she stays for at least a season or two. *crosses fingers*

vCash
    I don't see Rochette returning to the ISU competitive circuit either. How she handled herself at the Olympics has opened so many doors for her. She should take advantages of those opportunities while they're there. She won't have time to train seriously nor do I think she would want to go back to the daily grind of training.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I would also love for Joannie to stay eligible...but it would be a surprise if she did. Especially if she needs to find a new coach - is that for certain? I read through the other thread for a while but didn't see anything definitive about Perron...but I nodded off when talk resumed to Joubert

I think holding off on a decision to see if anything comes of the pro comps is smart.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I would also love for Joannie to stay eligible...but it would be a surprise if she did. Especially if she needs to find a new coach - is that for certain?

I think holding off on a decision to see if anything comes of the pro comps is smart.
    As far as I understand it, yes-- and I feel the exact same way you do re: working with a new coach and adjusting to possible different training habits, etc. Perron agreed that she would only be able to coach Rochette until the end of the Olympic season. All of her other students had moved to work full-time with other coaches, and Joannie was the one exception because of her potential heading into Vancouver.

vCash
    Oh no... I really hope she stays! Please, please, please!

vCash
    I don't want her to retire either. But I don't want her to step onto the ice if her heart is not in it. She's had a good career. Whatever she decides, let's wish her all the best.

vCash
    I also have the feeling Joannie won't compete any more. And it would be pretty tough for her to enter any competition if she's been off the ice since February. The longer the training gap, the less likely it is that she will skate competitively again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jot the Dot Dot View Post
    I don't want her to retire either. But I don't want her to step onto the ice if her heart is not in it. She's had a good career. Whatever she decides, let's wish her all the best.
    Yeah, I know. I wish her the best, whatever she decides. But I would love her to stay.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I don't see Rochette returning to the ISU competitive circuit either. How she handled herself at the Olympics has opened so many doors for her. She should take advantages of those opportunities while they're there.
    Agree

vCash
    Without Rochette, I fear that the Canadian ladies field might be rather abysmal. Was Phaneuf's performance at Worlds a sign that she was finally back in true competitive form or just her lucky day?

Either way the second spot might be given to the least weak in a weak field. Hopefully one of the top ladies other than Cynthia will step up to the plate, but given the track record of Canadian ladies, it might be too much to ask for, at least for next season.

vCash
    I hope this won't be another : I'm not retiring but I don't know when I will come back ala Cohen or Kwan ! lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    I hope this won't be another : I'm not retiring but I don't know when I will come back ala Cohen or Kwan ! lol
    We should give Cohen a credit since she did come back and skate at the US Nationals, not like the other... I admired her for that.

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rhumba View Post
    We should give Cohen a credit since she did come back and skate at the US Nationals, not like the other... I admired her for that.
    Well, Kwan never said she was definitely coming back like Cohen did. All Michelle ever said was that she is keeping her options open.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    And the Kween finds her way into yet another thread

And now back on topic - I'm sad it looks like Joannie might retire though not surprised. I love her and her skating. I also don't think she's reached her potential and I'd love to see her skate another year or two to see what she can do now that a lot of the pressure is gone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jot the Dot Dot View Post
    I don't want her to retire either. But I don't want her to step onto the ice if her heart is not in it. She's had a good career.
    ITA!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    I really want her to keep competing because I love her skating so much. She has more potential, I think, to keep doing interesting programs and so on...

vCash
    Me too, but I would understand if her heart wasn't just quite into it anymore-- or even if she just wanted to take a season off and re-evaluate her life. Such a tragedy can put many many things in perspective for her, and I'm willing to support her in whatever she chooses. Most of all, I just want her to be happy and take the time she needs to deal with her Mom's death.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    And the Kween finds her way into yet another thread
    Wheee ! Thanks to me

Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    And now back on topic - I'm sad it looks like Joannie might retire though not surprised. I love her and her skating. I also don't think she's reached her potential and I'd love to see her skate another year or two to see what she can do now that a lot of the pressure is gone.
    I think that it sounds like she will retire. But I don't think the pressure is gone. She is the Olympic bronze medalist, and she is a perfectionist. So, she will always have pressure !

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Wheee ! Thanks to me

I think that it sounds like she will retire. But I don't think the pressure is gone. She is the Olympic bronze medalist, and she is a perfectionist. So, she will always have pressure !
    You keep the Kween out of our Joannie thread !

I do get what you mean about the pressure, but surely she'll feel it less than last year heading into the Olys. I just think/hope she may give herself a little more space.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12