Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Wait, people seriously think she is going to be raped by pirates while out at sea? Seriously, not a joke? One too many Pirates of the Caribbean viewings it seems! Do you think the ocean is like the interstate, that you come across boats all the time in the middle of the Indian Ocean? Much less real Pirates? Am I completely naive or what?

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE59Q14020091027
    http://www.france24.com/en/20090406-...t-indian-ocean

But some pirate groups have ventured far into the Indian Ocean, southeast of Somalia, to target ships further out at sea, away from heavily-patrolled shipping corridors.
    ETA- I have a friend in the Navy who was on a ship patrolling the Indian Ocean last year. He actually shot a pirate who was trying to board the Navy ship. It sounded pretty terrifying, and this was a huge military ship full of trained officers.
    Last edited by KikiSashaFan; 06-12-2010 at 05:01 AM.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    Again with the comparing this irresponsible, perilous BS with driving a car! The hell!
    You have no idea how common this particular false analogy is.

Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Wait, people seriously think she is going to be raped by pirates while out at sea? Seriously, not a joke? One too many Pirates of the Caribbean viewings it seems! Do you think the ocean is like the interstate, that you come across boats all the time in the middle of the Indian Ocean? Much less real Pirates? Am I completely naive or what?
    Er, completely? No. But her trip was mapped out so she could avoid pirates.

Abby also chose a route different from her brother to avoid pirates. Many 16-year-olds probably imagine the loopy Jack Sparrow at the mention of pirates, but Abby feels the Somalian pirates that patrol her brother Zac's route was enough reason to withstand cold weather instead.

http://www.huliq.com/9501/92263/abby...-avoid-pirates

I'm sure she was worried about more than rape, but really--Somali pirates are not a joke.

ETA: KikiSashaFan beat me to it .
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Yep - chiming in to agree with the others. There has been a huge resurgance in piracy of late, and there have been incidencts involving rape.

Far from us watching too much Pirates of the Carribean, perhaps you should watch more news

My roommate's brother is a private contractor who is on a ship patrolling the area around Somalia. Because of that, the pirates are moving further afield, particularly further south, hoping to avoid them.

ETA - she should be rescued within the next couple of hours.

UPDATE - she's been rescued!
    Last edited by *Jen*; 06-12-2010 at 11:39 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    What a relief!!

vCash
    For the last year in the news there have been so many stories about Pirate hijackings. To be honest I dont know where they have taken place, but I also agree that it would concern me.

i don't think people were talking about One Eyed Willy LOL.

Going on diet soon
    vCash
    Apparently Abby's voyage may have been planned to sell her family's reality show:
    http://www.magneticent.com/html/projects.htm
    Balloon boy, anyone?
    Crows and Eville SQUIRRELS love peanuts!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem X View Post
    Apparently Abby's voyage may have been planned to sell her family's reality show:
    http://www.magneticent.com/html/projects.htm
    Balloon boy, anyone?
    Glad she is OK but hope the family will accept some responsibility for this.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    She wants to try again sometime, apparently

vCash
    Sunderland family 'cannot afford rescue'

Maybe they should have thought of that before she sailed? They obviously can afford to contribute something, it's not cheap to have two children learning to sail (even if they don't have to pay labour costs for building the boats, the materials aren't cheap), and these kids have apparently been sailing a long time.

Maybe she could ask her sponsors to pay? Or, you know, the money her family will get from telling their stories can contribute? No respect for this family at all. And even less for those companies sponsoring her.

4 More Years
    vCash
    Not defending the family but the Australian Government isn't asking to be reimbursed. From your link:

Federal Transport Minister Anthony Albanese said the government would not be seeking reimbursement for the cost of the rescue.

"If there was an Australian lost at sea, we would want the international laws on maritime to kick in and for every effort to be made to save that person," he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemomaz View Post
    Not defending the family but the Australian Government isn't asking to be reimbursed.
    I know. I still think that she should reimburse them.

vCash
    At the very least they should dive something back in the way of a donation to the rescuers or some other donation that would acknowledge the fact that their daughter was saved by these heros.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Doubts have been raised about Abby's solo record bid after it emerged that the US peak sailing body, the American Sailing Association, had refused to sponsor her.

"We chose not to be sponsors of Abigail because we did have concerns about the timing of her departure," said executive director Charlie Nobles.

"She had a lot of sponsors that were behind her and I think that puts pressure on her," Mr Nobles said. "We made a prudent decision not to contribute to that."

Sailing through the Indian Ocean in winter is thought to be risky due to rough weather and storms.
    That's from Angelskates' link (thank you). Seeing them acknowledge their poor planning would be nice. Experienced sailors, huh?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    That's from Angelskates' link (thank you). Seeing them acknowledge their poor planning would be nice. Experienced sailors, huh?
    As I said up thread. Experienced, expert sailors would not sail that distance alone under any weather conditions. Storms can pop up at sea that are unpredictable. Any "expert" sailor respects the power and fickleness of the sea and would not go alone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    As I said up thread. Experienced, expert sailors would not sail that distance alone under any weather conditions. Storms can pop up at sea that are unpredictable. Any "expert" sailor respects the power and fickleness of the sea and would not go alone.
    What's the old saying: "the sea isn't a vindictive mistress but, there's no forgiveness in her either..."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Sunderland family 'cannot afford rescue'

Maybe they should have thought of that before she sailed? They obviously can afford to contribute something, it's not cheap to have two children learning to sail (even if they don't have to pay labour costs for building the boats, the materials aren't cheap), and these kids have apparently been sailing a long time.

Maybe she could ask her sponsors to pay? Or, you know, the money her family will get from telling their stories can contribute? No respect for this family at all. And even less for those companies sponsoring her.

(Directed at her family, I totally agree with you Angelskates)

It's so infuriating, especially considering she's going to make shitloads of money selling her TRAUMATIC story to the tabloids.

Australians should totally send them the bill, although I understand it wouldn't be a great PR move, hence them not doing it.

vCash
    I guess it is my computer background, but you always plan for the worst case scenario. What were these people thinking? What if the mast breaks, what if she loses her radio, what if a freak storm comes up? What if I might have to rescue my daughter? What if Somali pirates want a ransom? Bet Abby's family could find the $ in that case! Honestly, who throws a 16 year old girl into this potentially disastrous situation?
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    She says she wants to try again. IMO, she should have to pay the rescue fee before she does. If she has the money to try that again, she has the money to pay something towards her rescue.

I don't necessarily think she should pay everything, but a donation to show her appreciation and cover some costs would be nice.

Enough Australians have done stupid things elsewhere and needed rescuing for me to see that there is a valid point in doing your best to save a foreigner and hoping other countries help you out when your citizens do crazy things.

vCash
    I think the reason why she might be able to try again is that she has sponsors that will pay for it. I don't know if her boat has been recovered or sank, but at the very least, major repairs are needed... if not a whole new boat. So if the family can't pay for the rescue, they certainly can't pay for a new boat.

From the interviews I've seen, the kids are homeschooled, and part of their education is to plan out, strategize and implement something. Which sounds like a good lesson. The part I have a problem with, is that her parents didn't err on the side of caution and just let her do what she planned. Their role as teachers requires them to point out possible pitfalls and problems, especially if what is proposed is risky. And if they did but she ignored their advice, they should have pulled the parent card. By neglecting this, they placed their daughter in danger. She's extremely lucky to come out of this unscathed. I'm just baffled she wants to try again. Is it really so important to be adventurous and claimed the youngest ever? I don't think so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    She says she wants to try again.
    As long as she and her family sign a waver saying that "Honey, if you're lost at sea again, you're on your own." Then yeah, let her try again

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast