Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

vCash
    Yes, I too am baffled at the parenting here.

Even if she is the best sailor in the world, a 16 yo girl alone in the ocean is prey to all kinds of dangers. Didn't they worry about kidnap/rape?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    If the parents and the girl are such great and experienced sailors, why send her during the winter months in the Southern hemisphere?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loopey View Post
    Even if she is the best sailor in the world, a 16 yo girl alone in the ocean is prey to all kinds of dangers. Didn't they worry about kidnap/rape?
    She's alone in a boat in the middle of the ocean. Who's going to kidnap/rape her - a pod of dolphins or a flock of seagulls?
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

vCash
    I'm glad that she is safe.
    The entire family is part of the competitive sailing community; so the parents are unlikely to view what happened as evidence of their irresponsibility.

Insurance Riders, and releases from/assumptions of financial responsibility for rescuers, etc. should be required for all similar endeavours, whatever the age of the participants.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    She's alone in a boat in the middle of the ocean. Who's going to kidnap/rape her - a pod of dolphins or a flock of seagulls?
    Pirates.

I just don't understand this type of stunt. If she is such a good sailor and wants to make a name for herself why not shoot for the Summer Olympics? They have sailing competitions that are a lot safer to participate in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    If the parents and the girl are such great and experienced sailors, why send her during the winter months in the Southern hemisphere?
    That wasn't the original plan. She was originally started out earlier, but had problems of some sort and had to stop...so she started later than planned. Also, she needed repairs in Capetown so stopped there for a few weeks. Without all the stops she would have been there a little earlier, and if she hadn't tried now she'd be too old for the record.

BUT - she lost the chance at the record by stopping in Capetown and someone should have drawn the line somewhere. That much is clear. Goodness knows what the parents were thinking at that point.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    And you don't believe there is even a possibility that there might be other boats that she comes into contact with from time-to-time? And of course no mischief-maker could observe her by herself and follow her right.

4 More Years
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I'm glad that she is safe.
    The entire family is part of the competitive sailing community; so the parents are unlikely to view what happened as evidence of their irresponsibility.

Insurance Riders, and releases from/assumptions of financial responsibility for rescuers, etc. should be required for all similar endeavours, whatever the age of the participants.
    According to a story on NPR this morning, the family is deeply involved in the sailing community. The father is a boatwright and the kids apparently could sail before they could ride a bike. They are also very religious, the parents were quoted in interviews before the daughter set sail saying this was in God's hands. The daughter was also quoted as saying it was God's will that she take this trip. story

Even given the above, I have to ask what the hell the parents were thinking? I've known some very mature and competent 16 year olds and I still would not believe they were ready for such a trip.

Unfortunately as long as this Jessica Watson story is the message broadcast around the world, there are going to be kids and their parents attempting the same.

This
    Waiting to welcome her home was and the prime minister Kevin Rudd and premier of New South Wales, Kristina Keneally.

In front of a huge crowd gathered on the Opera House steps, Mr Rudd paid tribute to Miss Watson, calling her "Australia's newest hero".

But the teenager, unfazed by the prospect of disagreeing with the most powerful man in the country, would not accept the compliment.

"I'm an ordinary girl who believed in her dream, you don't have to be someone special to achieve something big," she said. "You just have to have a dream, believe in it and work hard, anything is possible."
    and this:
    Miss Watson, who has been sailing since she was eight, will now have to adjust to life on land, and the celebrity - and wealth - that comes with it. Her camp has already secured contracts worth an estimated $1m including $700,000 (£430,000) for telling her exclusive story to one of Rupert Murdoch's Australian newspapers and becoming an "ambassador" for his company News Ltd.

vCash
    Before Jessica Watson sailed, there was a LOT of controvery and people accusing her parents of irresponsible parenting. Yet she made the voyage.

Before Jessica Watson, there was Jesse Martin, who sailed further and was only 18, and still holds the record (Watson didn't go far enough).

I don't think that this will encourage kids to go sailing around the world. There was the same fanfare for Jesse Martin, and then there was a huge lull before anyone tried it again.

And of course the politicians were present. The media loves her. You think they'd miss an opportunity in an election year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    That wasn't the original plan. She was originally started out earlier, but had problems of some sort and had to stop...so she started later than planned. Also, she needed repairs in Capetown so stopped there for a few weeks. Without all the stops she would have been there a little earlier, and if she hadn't tried now she'd be too old for the record.

BUT - she lost the chance at the record by stopping in Capetown and someone should have drawn the line somewhere. That much is clear. Goodness knows what the parents were thinking at that point.
    Yep. Evidence right here that she shouldn't be doing this at 16 yo. She obviously wasn't wise enough to know that she shouldn't be in the Southern Hemisphere at this time of the year. The delays would indicate she would be in the Indian Ocean at this time but she proceeded anyway. Ridiculous.

Grooving!
    vCash
    Miss Watson, who has been sailing since she was eight, will now have to adjust to life on land, and the celebrity - and wealth - that comes with it. Her camp has already secured contracts worth an estimated $1m including $700,000 (£430,000) for telling her exclusive story to one of Rupert Murdoch's Australian newspapers and becoming an "ambassador" for his company News Ltd.
    Awesome! Now they can reimburse every governmental body that was involved in the search & rescue effort. Surely they will, won't they?? <snort>

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
    Awesome! Now they can reimburse every governmental body that was involved in the search & rescue effort. Surely they will, won't they?? <snort>
    Jessica Watson is not the girl who had to have a rescue effort launched.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    *Jen*, are you the family spokesperson or something?

Anyway, this from the father just makes me stew.

Abby's father rejected criticism that it was far too dangerous to allow a 16-year-old to sail around the world by herself.

"Sailing and life in general is dangerous. Teenagers drive cars. Does that mean teenagers shouldn't drive a car?" Laurence Sunderland told the AP. "I think people who hold that opinion have lost their zeal for life. They're living in a cotton-wool tunnel to make everything safe."
    Again with the comparing this irresponsible, perilous BS with driving a car! The hell!

For your sake, Mr. Sunderland, I hope that nobody is hurt trying to rescue your girl. And I hope that you get a big $$$$ bill for some of the cost of this rescue. I'm sure that you'll make it all back with the book Abby will market off of her experience.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    *Jen*, are you the family spokesperson or something?
    No? I just read the news and a capable of looking at both sides of an argument. If I were the family spokesperson, I probably wouldn't be calling her parents irresponsible and saying that it was a ridiculous idea to make the journey in winter, if at all, but at least I've bothered to read their justifications.

Did you even read what I said?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    Pirates.

If she is such a good sailor and wants to make a name for herself why not shoot for the Summer Olympics?
    Yes, that would have made more sense, but I don't think sense of any kind was in play on this one. Actually, if she is such a good sailor, she should have known better than to try to make the trip alone, in the first place. Good sailors respect the sea and it's power.

vCash
    Her older brother also succesfully circumnavigated the globe solo, without stopping, at 17. He was a record-holder until his record was broken, which was one of Abby's motivations (I was reading her website yesterday).

It sounds like a brave thing to do. A little stupid, but aren't all brave acts partly stupid?

vCash
    I don't really see the point in sailing across the world at that age or any age, especially since it's been done so many times. There are so many more important things a 16 needs to be worrying about like school. And I know these kids do their schooling while sailing but how much time is really devouted?

vCash
    Or any age? I don't know if there's a 'point' other than the experience of it. Not that I think a 16-year-old should be sailing around the world, but doing this is like climbing Mt. Everest, or, really, doing any big thing that isn't necessary but which you do simply because you want to and can and you've dreamed about it. No 'point' necessary.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Wait, people seriously think she is going to be raped by pirates while out at sea? Seriously, not a joke? One too many Pirates of the Caribbean viewings it seems! Do you think the ocean is like the interstate, that you come across boats all the time in the middle of the Indian Ocean? Much less real Pirates? Am I completely naive or what?

Quote Originally Posted by loopey View Post
    And of course no mischief-maker could observe her by herself and follow her right.
    Oh yes, the great Indian Ocean peeping Tom, he is a nasty one I hear. I'm not sure what is more confusing, that you think so many people are floating around in the middle of the ocean or that so many of them are rapists...
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Would there even be pirates in the middle of the Indian Ocean in the winter?? I mean, this girl was stupid enough to be out there then but you would think that a bunch of pirates would know better.

And let alone a bunch of pirates stupid enough to be in the middle of the Indian Ocean in the winter who happen to be rapists...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast