Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    I'm a self-taught, casual graphic designer, but can I add my name to the list of folks who hate Papyrus? I refuse to use that font, and no matter how nice someone's work might be, if I see that font on there, it just screams "newbie" to me. It's one of the few fonts that I can identify by sight, and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

For regular, non-script fonts, I like Georgia and Verdana. I use Verdana on my website (www.spareoom.net) and I like how it looks on the site, so that's good for me.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mpal2 View Post
    In my field, most business documents are all about business so anything but a standard font would stand out in a bad way instead of improving public image. We use Verdana as our standard. It's even used for announcements of promotions, retirements, etc.
    IMO Verdana is totally fine. It's when someone uses Times New Roman that you know that they likely just typed their important public image stuff out in 10 seconds on Microsoft Word.

Quote Originally Posted by silverstars View Post
    At my job, however, fonts play a really big role in how we present ourselves. There are SUPER strict rules about which fonts we can use and for what (we have custom fonts that don't come standard with most word processors, but their names are escaping me right now), and I think that it does help with branding and ensuring that everything released from the office as a uniform, polished appearance.
    I work at a prominent cancer hospital and we have a universal style guide too. Not for our department, since science labs don't send out public announcements on behalf of the entire hospital, but it's there.

We don't have a proprietary font, but we do use one that's not standard. And yes, you can actually tell the difference. Another local cancer hospital is attempting to copy our recent billboard look, and you know upon first glance that it's not us, because the margins are way off and they used Verdana.

Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Using something different would *not* be a good idea in all of the companies I've ever worked for. It implies that you care more about the typeface than about your content. It's distracting, because it's different. It implies that your stuff should stand out for how it looks, not for what it contains.

Doing so would detract from my public image, not add to it. I think it's important to know your company/industry on this one.
    I do agree that it greatly depends on how big your company is and what the competition is. Our hospital is fairly prominent, so I think it's important that they do have a look that differentiates themselves from others. And people DO judge hospitals on how friendly and professional they look.

Of course, a startup company of any kind should be concentrating more on doing good work instead of hiring a top notch designer for branding.

And of course good design can't trump good content. Ideally you'd want both, but I do agree that if it was one or the other, content wins over design. It makes me when I see student design work and it looks fantastic, but there are typos in every sentence.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    Century Gothic all the way, man.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    IMO Verdana is totally fine. It's when someone uses Times New Roman that you know that they likely just typed their important public image stuff out in 10 seconds on Microsoft Word.
    I suppose that might explain why my University is not having the best of times ... according to you, their public image is more like a fly-by-night outfit, rather than a multi-billion $ institution that's been around for nearly 150 years.

vCash
    Another fan of Tahoma here.

vCash
    I actually like papyrus, but ONLY in appropriate settings. Used in literary magazines for the titles of stories? Right on. Used in posters about humane societies or vegetarianism? Go for it. But it is way too crunchy granola to be found in scientific powerpoint presentations.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    I suppose that might explain why my University is not having the best of times ... according to you, their public image is more like a fly-by-night outfit, rather than a multi-billion $ institution that's been around for nearly 150 years.
    Well in that case, the multi-billion $ and 150 years will speak for itself. Go for the Times New Roman all you want!

vCash
    Well in that case, the multi-billion $ and 150 years will speak for itself. Go for the Times New Roman all you want!
    I didn't say I wanted it -- in fact, I don't want it at all. Unfortunately the current sad fiscal state of my state is of much greater importantance than maintaining a "unique comprehensive visual identity" by following the standards manual. IMO.
    Last edited by skatingfan5; 06-10-2010 at 10:22 PM.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Okay, for my personal correspondence or preference (not the office), I like using Black Chancery, Sheer Elegance or Sheer Beauty.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronika View Post
    Actually, after seeing this, I realized that Arial is not Avante Garde, Century Gothic is

I always liked designing with AV, it lends itself to really nice letter manipulation. It's so nice and round I also really like Optima and Bookman Antiqua.

Papayrus doesn't bother me, but I would only use it as a display type if it suited an image I was trying to create. I would tend to use it for something old and architectural.

I can't stand the really chunky fonts like Amos and Banner, and that western looking one, can't think of the name of it.
    Last edited by cruisin; 06-11-2010 at 12:49 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronika View Post
    Nice, clean, and easy to read.

Anita - I only found out the century gothic used the least amount of ink when I produce a brochure for my business and my stepdad told me I was sensible for using century gothic, being a new business and all. Uh, yeah, that's why I used it.

vCash
    I also prefer Ariel, Courier and others to Times New Roman. But Times New Roman is the standard in my field, so I'm stuck with it.

I find fonts in books to be more of an issue in digital text. A small Times New Roman type of font can make me quite resistant to reading a book.

vCash
    I absolutely loathe Comic Sans as well. It really is misused most of the time; everything written in Comic Sans becomes a joke in my eyes. My grade 10 science teacher used it exclusively, and honestly, that's the only thing I can recall clearly about that class!

Currently, I love using Myriad Pro and Avenir. Very clean and elegant.

vCash
    Arial is good for Power Point Presentations.

vCash
    Courier is often used for proofreading. A document will be changed to Courier for proofing, and all of a sudden, all errors (extra spaces, weird punctuation, etc.) are visible in ways that they aren't with other fonts, because Courier (there's a technical term for this, but I forget) is evenly spaced, unlike other typefaces.
    Monospace. It means that every letter takes up the same width — a lowercase i is the same width as a lowercase m.

Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    Impact or Cooper Black are next in line to Garamond when it comes to using less ink.

Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Funny that you feel that serif fonts are easier to read. I find sans-serif to be easier to read, less cluttered. Especially if the type is supered over a graphic.
    It's not really what I feel, it's something that's been studied by a lot of places, most notably the Poynter Institute. They then found it impossible to rein in their ego and created the most readable font in the world (said in Oprah-voice) called ... Poynter.

I would typically use a sans-serif font if I put it over a colored background, particularly if you were mixing colors (not knocking out) or even more perilously, type over a photo. Those little serifs fill in from the ink unless the font is really big.

I like Palatino, too!

Isn't Ariel a generic for Avante Garde? And why can I never find true Helvetica or Futura?
    No way. Avante Garde is a really distinctive font. Arial is supposedly a generic for Helvetica. Not as refined, though.

Using something different would *not* be a good idea in all of the companies I've ever worked for. It implies that you care more about the typeface than about your content. It's distracting, because it's different. It implies that your stuff should stand out for how it looks, not for what it contains.

Doing so would detract from my public image, not add to it. I think it's important to know your company/industry on this one.
    I suppose, but I disagree. I do think that care in presenting material well (clean, organized) shows that there was thought behind it. There is a difference between professional and different for the sake of different. It's like people who dress like slobs but have 200 IQs. Sure you're the smartest one in the room, but no one wants to listen to you because you've presented a bad package.

I'm curious what industry you work in.

Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    Okay, for my personal correspondence or preference (not the office), I like using Black Chancery, Sheer Elegance or Sheer Beauty.
    Do you live in the Shire?

BTW, my father uses Comic Sans for his business, because "it's fun". I've tried, I really REALLY have!

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    I know that screenwriters will use Courier. In fact, it's standard in the industry because it's the most common monospaced font. It's easy to deduce the length of a movie or how long a scene is going to be, because when you type out a screenplay on Courier, it roughly works out to one page per minute.

I'd say that's a pretty convenient way to calculate time with type.
    Such a lot of information in this thread! Looks like Courier isn't going anywhere soon. Thanks for sharing.

vCash
    Hi

My name is SueP

I have a love of fonts.

I just downloaded 400 last night

So I'll just sit back and read this thread with great interest. And try not to drool.
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

vCash
    http://www.veer.com/products/type/

Not that I'm biased or anything.

Comic Sans and Papyrus need to experience painful, firey deaths.

Also, this: Font Fight

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    It's not really what I feel, it's something that's been studied by a lot of places, most notably the Poynter Institute. They then found it impossible to rein in their ego and created the most readable font in the world (said in Oprah-voice) called ... Poynter.

I would typically use a sans-serif font if I put it over a colored background, particularly if you were mixing colors (not knocking out) or even more perilously, type over a photo. Those little serifs fill in from the ink unless the font is really big.
    They do. Unless you use a serif that is wide open like Garamond, Souvenir, or one of the squared off display faces (though I would not use one of the blocky ones for anything ) I had a client that was in love with Souvenir. It works well (even supered over photos), but I did get sick of it for a while.

No way. Avante Garde is a really distinctive font. Arial is supposedly a generic for Helvetica. Not as refined, though.
    Yeah, after I wrote that I realized that Century Gothic is the one that looks like Avante Garde (Lubalin). A couple of minor differences, the dots on i & j are square in AV and round in CG. And the lower case u in CG does not have a decender, AV does.

I thought Arial was to sub for Futura. But Futura can fill in for Helvetic, so...

I suppose, but I disagree. I do think that care in presenting material well (clean, organized) shows that there was thought behind it. There is a difference between professional and different for the sake of different. It's like people who dress like slobs but have 200 IQs. Sure you're the smartest one in the room, but no one wants to listen to you because you've presented a bad package.
    I agree. Even in industries where you have to be careful not to get too flashy, like Law Firms, or Medicine, polished is always better. Type font, weight, size, along with paragraph set up can give a simple document polish. And I agree that it doesn't take away from the material, it shows that you care about presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by luna_skater View Post
    Also, this: Font Fight
    That is hilarious! How did you find it? Who'd have thought Font Humor! It's really well produced too.

vCash

That is hilarious! How did you find it? Who'd have thought Font Humor! It's really well produced too.
    I'm in the design/stock industry. Gems like this get passed around all the time at the office.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast