Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

How important is the font?

Having just taken over the secretarial role on a committee, last night I presented the minutes in Arial font which was appreciated by the president. The person who did the minutes previously used Times New Roman. Also tried to format them a bit more professionally.

Personally I hate Times New Roman or Courier fonts.

At work we tend to use Arial on our documents.

So what do people think about fonts? Any particular loves and hates? Are there any standards for any professions?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I don't think anybody has every mentioned it in my office, and all I care about is if it's big enough to read! Well, when I'm producing something I fiddle around a bit and use something other than Times New Roman. It's a tad boring.

vCash
    I feel that Times New Roman is harder to read on the screen, but not on paper.

I too like other fonts, but if you send documents electronically, you run into problems with people not having that font installed on their computer. I've even had it happen with PDF's, where it's not supposed to happen.

vCash
    The general rule that's been taught to me is that sans serif fonts are easier to read on screens, while serif fonts are easier to read in print. I don't really necessarily observe this personally, though.

However, I am opposed to Times New Roman no matter what the context - just because it's the default, and therefore overused. Also because it's the default and if people leave it as the font they use, there's the connotation that they didn't care enough to take the time to purposely select a font or think about what would be best. But that's just me.

vCash
    Our contract templates are formatted Times New Roman. I hate the way they look. I think it's because I'm old enough to have used a typewriter, and the documents look like they were generated 40 years ago. I prefer sans serif. At least it looks like it was generated in this century.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    At one point a certain federal agency specifically requested that people submit grant proposals to them using only Arial or Helvetica or one other font that I've forgotten, for the reason that many of the reviewers would just be reading the documents on computer screens and sans-serif fonts are easier to read on computer screens. But they've let that rule slide nowadays.

For printed documents, serif fonts guide the eye across the page, but the little serifs may look a bit blurry on a computer screen, so sans serif fonts are favored there.

I like Times New Roman.

Palatino is also nice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erica Lee View Post
    The general rule that's been taught to me is that sans serif fonts are easier to read on screens, while serif fonts are easier to read in print. I don't really necessarily observe this personally, though.
    I have been taught the same thing. I have also been taught that headlines, titles, or anything that you would bold, underline etc. were fine in sans serif, but that the body text should be in serif fonts.

vCash
    I have Verdana on my computer. I don't really have a preference; I just want to be able to read it. I remember Times Roman on the typewriter. I'm dating myself--I'd rather see anything but that. I change up every once in a while when I see someone else using that looks particularly interesting.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Generic sans serif (Arial, Helvetica, Verdana) or generic serif fonts (Times New Roman, Georgia) are fine with me. Personally I like working with serif fonts when typing down lab stuff, because there's no way you can misread capital I's or 1's or lowercase L's.

Sans serif is easier to read on screen, especially when you consider that some people might resize your stuff and then it'll show up very small. When doing anything that's supposed to be shared between computers, you have to consider how common that font is because not every computer is going to have Franklin Gothic or whatever. I even had to hawk Helvetica from my friend's computer!

I HATE HATE HATE seeing Comic Sans or Papyrus. They're very distinct AND commonplace, which is the fast way to sick-of-looking-at-it land.

vCash
    I'm a graphic designer, so my answer is VERY!

Serif fonts are easier to read because the serifs (the little slabs at the ends of letters) act like little visual aids to guide your eye to the next letter/word. So setting large amounts of copy in serif fonts is purportedly more readable. It also looks more classic/old-fashioned. Large type can be either serif or sans serif, but they convey different moods. In my profession (newspapers), sans serif fonts are used for "hard news" stories like crime, elections, etc. Serif fonts are "softer" and are used for feature stories and columns.

I don't hate Papyrus, but it's such a distinctive font that should only be used in specific thematic designs. Comic Sans can go die.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    I'm a graphic designer, so my answer is VERY!

Serif fonts are easier to read because the serifs (the little slabs at the ends of letters) act like little visual aids to guide your eye to the next letter/word. So setting large amounts of copy in serif fonts is purportedly more readable. It also looks more classic/old-fashioned. Large type can be either serif or sans serif, but they convey different moods. In my profession (newspapers), sans serif fonts are used for "hard news" stories like crime, elections, etc. Serif fonts are "softer" and are used for feature stories and columns.

I don't hate Papyrus, but it's such a distinctive font that should only be used in specific thematic designs. Comic Sans can go die.
    I also think that sans serif fonts come off "clean and airy," which is why so many skincare/spa companies use sans serif fonts with very open designs.

The problem with Papyrus is that "specific thematic designs" run the gamut from food to skincare to...seemingly everything that want an air of fancy. But the thing is, choosing such a commonly-used font doesn't give off the air of distinction, it just comes off lazy.

vCash
    I use Century Gothic at every opportunity. I hate typed 'a' with a passion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Not a fan of the broken counter lowercase "a"?

vCash
    wingdings for me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    wingdings for me
    Now why doesn't that surprise me?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    wingdings for me
    Give webdings a chance
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

vCash
    I like Tahoma, Arial, and for programs or invitations I used Lucinda hand writing a lot

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    I'm a fan of Century Gothic for exactly the same reason

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    I'm sure there's a reason that Courier is still offered; I just don't know what it is. If ever a font should be buried . . .

IMO

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    I use Arial in general, but when I can use something with a tad more personality I use Georgia, especially Georgia italic, and Verdana.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast