vCash

Spain (Sevilla and Granada) recomendations

I am in the process of organizing a trip to Spain. I am planning on 8 days to go to Toledo, Sevilla and Granada (probably arriving to madrid but I am not planning staying there) :

How many days should I stay in each place?
    Hotel recomendations?
    Should I rent a car or use bus/train system?
    Places to go?

Thanks
    Last edited by mon125; 06-09-2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: grammar

vCash
    No recommendations, but you've saved me starting a thread! (I'm going to be in Spain for two weeks altogether, one week split between Barcelona and Madrid and one week in Andalucia.)
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mon125 View Post
    I am in the process of organizing a trip to Spain. I am planning on 8 days to go to Toledo, Sevilla and Granada (probably arriving to madrid but I am not planning staying there) :

Hotel recomendations?
    Places to go?

Thanks
    1)Toledo one day at less

Sevilla not less than two day

Granada I´d give also two or at least one and half a day

2) I can´t give right now personal advice about hotels, but I could ask about Sevilla

3) I´d recommend renting a car if you´re really to stay a lot of time (around or more than a week), cause in that case you could consider to visit some other small towns or places, but if your trip is short and you just want to visit those three cities then IMO train is the better option (Madrid-Toledo, Madrid-Sevilla, Sevilla-Granada).

4) Places

Toledo: The Cathedral, The Alcazar, Mosque of Cristo de la Luz, Iglesia de Santo Tomé, Sephardi museum, Synagogues de Santa María la Blanca y El Transito, el convento de Santo Domingo, the main "gates" of the old city, Monastery of San Juan de los Reyes,and in general walking the city (comfortable shoes really needed)

Sevilla: The Cathedral, Reales Alcazares and Archivo de Indias (all are very close), the Casa de Pilatos, Palacio San Telmo, walking el Barrio de Santa Cruz, the beautiful Plaza de España y María Luisa Park.If you like museums you can visit Bellas Artes Museum (Murillo, Zurbarán and other Spanish painters), towers of La Giralda and del Oro. Sevilla has lot of Churches and noble houses to watch through all the old town and the curious buildings raised in 1929 celebrating an Ibero American Exposition.

Granada: La Alhambra and the garden of Generalife and next Charles V´s Palace, Cathedral (were Kings Catholics are buried), barrios of Sacromonte, Albaicín and Realejo (quite curious), a little out of the old town is La Cartuja (a monastery) and also the Abbey of Sacramonte, and of course to walk the old town with curious streets (alcacería with its typical shops) and the monumental square of la Plaza Nueva. There are lot of churchs to visit, I remember (well, and checked the name with google ) la Basílica de las Angustias, and Basílica de San Juan de Dios.

If you need some more information I´d love to help if I could
    Last edited by sweetsparky; 06-09-2010 at 10:14 PM.
    Zorry my english, I´m a verrrrrry rude spaÑish

vCash
    Ditto the recommendation on seeing the Alhambra in Granada.

In Seville, if you feel like flamenco you might want to check out the show at the cultural centre; it's cheaper than the ones they hawk at hotels, so budget-friendly if that's a factor. It's called Casa de la Memoria de Al-Andalus and you get about an hour of flamenco. No drinks served, most of the others I saw advertised included drinks and/or food. I'm not much of a drinker so it suited me fine.

Shoe shopping, all leather shoes for decent prices.

I'd spend most of the time divided between Granada and Seville. I believe Toledo could even be done as a day trip (bus or train) if you only want to see the synagogue, otherwise 1 night there should be fine.

You can check out train travel times on the Spanish rail site.

Have a great trip!
    Last edited by star_gazer11; 06-10-2010 at 05:55 AM. Reason: added link

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mon125 View Post

Hotel recomendations?
    Places to go?

Thanks
    - Arrive Madrid. Spend the night or not. Madrid has at least 1 day's worth of interesting places.
    - From Madrid take a 30 Minute train ride to Toledo (from Atocha Train Station).
    - 1 full day in Toledo. Spend the night.
    - In the morning take train back to Madrid, to take a 2hr speed train from Madrid to Seville.
    - 3 full days in Seville.
    - take a train to Granada (it's a 3.5 - 4 hr train ride)
    - 2 full days in Granada (1 full day to see the Alhambrah Palace)
    - Back to Madrid (if that is your departure point).

With travel time between cities, there are you 8 days.

No, you DO NOT need a car in Toledo, Granada or Seville. More so, you will have a very hard time navigating in Granada and Seville, and will not be able to drive in Toledo.

To rent a car just to travel between these cities is not worth it, if your purpose is to sight-see the cities (not stop in the country side). Inside the cities you will have a difficult time finding parking and it is expensive.

Best method to travel between these cities is TRAIN.

RENFE rail-network in Spain
    http://www.renfe.com/ (you can switch to english in the website's upper menu).

I have hotel names for budget, medium, and high-range in Toledo, Seville and Granada. But I don't want to take space with lists of them.

What is your budget per room/per night? how many people? staying together or in separate rooms?

Let me know if you feel comfortable stating your hotel budget, or just give me "range".