Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    They do not. And even if it were complete a publisher will drop it in the trash without being viewed. You have to have an agent if you are an unknown author. Agents will not even consider a manuscript if it isn't finished. There are a number of publications available on agents (Writer's Guide to Agents published each year) which will tell you who is accepting new authors, what types of manuscripts they accept, how to write a query letter and other things you have to know.
    Apologies for giving you misleading information, TanithAndBenFan, (and for getting rfisher so upset as well.)

I was unaware that the rules appear to have changed (internationally at least) since I did the rounds with my own work.

Best of luck with your writing.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    Apologies for giving you misleading information, TanithAndBenFan, (and for getting rfisher so upset as well.)

I was unaware that the rules appear to have changed (internationally at least) since I did the rounds with my own work.

No problem. I appreciate the encouraging thoughts!
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    No problem. I appreciate the encouraging thoughts!
    When Matthew Reilly started out, he actually went the self - publishing route.
    You could possibly look down that avenue as well.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash

I'm not upset. However, she needs to know the reality of publishing. I don't know when you submitted fiction to a publisher, but no publishing house will even consider a manuscript from an unpublished author without an agent any more. It won't even be opened. Many agents won't even consider a new author in today's climate and those that do have very specific requirements regarding submissions. There is a lot of information out there on the internet about how to get published and tons of books in the library or bookstores including the annual list of agents guides.

That's not to say she shouldn't continue to write for fun and her own entertainment, but publishing is an entire different matter.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    I'm bumping this up because I just catched up with chapter 64... I was kind of expecting that (it would have been tooooooo easy to succeed straight away) but now I'm really looking forward to see what happens next! waiting for the next chapt!

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alhrayth View Post
    I'm bumping this up because I just catched up with chapter 64... I was kind of expecting that (it would have been tooooooo easy to succeed straight away) but now I'm really looking forward to see what happens next! waiting for the next chapt!
    Yeah, it wouldn't have been any fun without drama I'm so glad you're still following it! The end is near.... I just have to decide how to end it.

vCash
    Nooooo, don't end it! I love having something figure skating related to read besides blogs/forums, and I've blown through the figure skating section at the library.

vCash
    I lost this thread but finally found it again! Your writing is getting better and better. I'm loving the story! I can't wait to see how it ends.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Thanks so much, GM! The feedback I've received on here and on the FanStory site has taught me so much. Once I post the last chapter, I'm going to go back and edit many of the early chapters to apply what I've learned. Writing the last chapter has been a struggle because in my mind the story continues after the point where I need to end it (and I've continued to put it on paper, too). So, I have to find a nice way to wrap it all up without leaving too much hanging.

vCash
    I am really enjoying your book - If you are ending it soon will you be writing another one? Hope so!

vCash
    Looking forward to reading your link.

You've inspired me to revisit a novel I wrote 20 years ago. May have to change it b/c back then, there were still compulsory figures and the 6.0.
    where can we find that novel?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniferlyon View Post
    An FSU writing club sounds fun. I've written plenty of skating fiction over the years, although I am working on a different novel now. Still, some names or little details from my old skating serial do pop up in the new book, as one of the supporting characters is a 40-year-old ex-skater who gave up the sport to become a high school teacher. In the mid-1980s, he trained at one of my fictional rinks with one of my fictional coaches.
    where can we read your skating fiction?

vCash
    Thanks so much, GM! The feedback I've received on here and on the FanStory site has taught me so much. Once I post the last chapter, I'm going to go back and edit many of the early chapters to apply what I've learned. Writing the last chapter has been a struggle because in my mind the story continues after the point where I need to end it (and I've continued to put it on paper, too). So, I have to find a nice way to wrap it all up without leaving too much hanging.
    Every story continues after the book ends, you just have to decide where YOUR story ends.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenMichelle View Post
    Every story continues after the book ends, you just have to decide where YOUR story ends.
    I finally decided how to end it. What made it more difficult is the fact I have continued to write the story (it's more like a series I guess), so I had to change up the order of a few events to wrap up this part of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by belldkay View Post
    I am really enjoying your book - If you are ending it soon will you be writing another one? Hope so!
    Thanks - I'm so glad you've enjoyed it! I've started writing the next part of this story, but I'm not sure if I want to make it into "Book 2" so to speak. It's just for my friends right now.

vCash
    where can we find that novel?
    where can we read your skating fiction?
    Follow the link in TanithandBenFan's signature! or, it's here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alhrayth View Post
    Follow the link in TanithandBenFan's signature! or, it's here

thanks - but not what I am looking for - I am looking for the fictin/novel that jenniferlyon and essence_of_soy spoke of writing - I have Life on the Edge

vCash
    thanks - but not what I am looking for - I am looking for the fictin/novel that jenniferlyon and essence_of_soy spoke of writing - I have Life on the Edge
    Hi Belldkay,

Gosh, I wrote (or typed) my book before user - friendly computers or the internet existed to any degree.

I'll see if I can dig it up The Great Wall of China for you at some point.

The plot, looking back, was Faustian, to say the least, and nothing clean - cut like TanithAndBenFan's story.

Mine was about an average skater who believes she has made a pact with the devil to win Olympic gold. The catch (and isn't there always one) is that victory comes with a hefty price.

vCash
    I finally decided how to end it. What made it more difficult is the fact I have continued to write the story (it's more like a series I guess), so I had to change up the order of a few events to wrap up this part of the story.

Thanks - I'm so glad you've enjoyed it! I've started writing the next part of this story, but I'm not sure if I want to make it into "Book 2" so to speak. It's just for my friends right now.
    I just found this thread for the first time & it's now 2:45 AM, I've stayed up and read the entire thing! You have done such an excellent job, it's only gotten better and better as you've gone along.

I am dying to know what happens now, and I really hope that you decide to make a Book 2! Please? LOL

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigSk8Fan View Post
    I just found this thread for the first time & it's now 2:45 AM, I've stayed up and read the entire thing! You have done such an excellent job, it's only gotten better and better as you've gone along.

I am dying to know what happens now, and I really hope that you decide to make a Book 2! Please? LOL
    Aww, thanks so much! If I do end up posting Book 2 online, I'll have to provide some explanatory notes because it could be confusing. There are some subplots I cut out of Book 1 that existed in the version I wrote for my friends. I've carried these over to Book 2. It's also not very streamlined... there's some stuff that probably wouldn't be considered necessary action moving the plot along. But I consider Book 2 lagniappe, and I just like to write whatever comes to mind, regardless of how important it is to the grand scheme of things.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    I've posted the last chapter. Would love to hear thoughts from those of you who are still reading - was it a satisfactory ending?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast