Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    Pretty much all major brands have a standard carry-on luggage size so it's very easy to stay within guidelines. I measured my carry-on wheelie out of curiosity once and all 3 dimensions are just half inch under the guidelines. Perfect.

Most of my trips, business and vacation, are within 10 days. I always take one carry-on trollie and one small backpack as the so called carry-on item and find them more than enough.

I do not check in any bags if I don't have to. And 9 out of 10 times, I don't. Easier this way. I just print out the boarding pass at home, arrive at the airport and go straight to the security gate and that's it. And after the plane lands, I don't have to wait around for baggage claim. Like it!

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    but if you're doing both legs from Europe to Australia, then you end up with one meal more than you want or can comfortably digest. And it's usually at 4am
    Yep, that 4am 'dinner' is a killer. I usually eat the salad and bread roll and skip the hot part of the meal. Though having said that, the breakfast and lunch type meals on long haul are now much 'lighter' and digestable than when I first started flying between Australia and Europe or the US. But I'd be happy with one meal per leg and then graze on the snacks they usually leave out somewhere if I felt peckish. When you're sitting for that long you're not going to burn off the meals anyway.

As for hats, my hat usually goes in my checked luggage. I put it in first, upside down, put socks inside it and pack other clothes around it to it doesn't get squashed. On the rare occasions I can't do that because I've only a small bag, then hat goes under the seat - the overhead bin would be just asking for trouble.
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

vCash
    I do feel that there are some circumstances where some people might need more luggage - not just that my circumstances were special. I think a few people have valid special circumstances. I find it bizzare that you have the same restriction if you're ticket is a week long of a year long.
    Whether people are returning from a week away or a year away, the plane is the same size. It can only accommodate so much. And there is always the option of shipping. While that can be expensive depending on where you live, it's also the case that shipping is easier to do when one is returning from a long-term stay because one is better acquainted with locales and businesses.
    Also, people with kids and babies often need to carry more stuff than the airlines will allow
    But those people are often charged for it as well if space is an issue.
    the fact that a laptop counts as your carry-on on many airlines is absurd.
    If a purse counts as a carry-on, then why shouldn't a laptop?

Personally I don't really care what people bring on board. If it fits, it fits. I travel extremely light, but don't think others should be required to do the same. But I also recognize space on flights can be limited, so rules are put into place to limit baggage. In my estimation, those regulations tend to be fair. If people need to go over the limits, then they should be prepared to pay for the difference. Often it's cheaper doing that than paying for a shipper. But I don't understand complaining about having to pay a surcharge for going over the limit.

vCash
    What kind of planes are you flying on Because you'd have to be 10 foot high to hit your head on those overhead lockers from your seat, and they don't overhang into the aisle.

Zero overhead luggage might work if you're flying for a couple of hours. Try flying for 24 straight and then see if you still think it's a good idea
    I'm 5'8" and have hit my head MANY times. More correctly, OTHERS have hit my head many times. The problem is overweight carryons that the person can't control. I'm all for "If you need help getting it up there, it doesn't belong up there."

It wouldn't cost much to add a scale to the little box that's used to check size. Require everyone to actually fit their largest item in the box and get a weight. If it's oversize or over 30 lbs, assess a fee.

As for shipping vs. bringing it on the plane, many of my trips are golf trips. On most airlines, the cost to ship clubs is higher than FedEx charges. I now ship 90% of the time. Bonus is that FedEx guarantees delivery and has an option for full insurance for replacement cost. The airlines guarantee neither.
    Last edited by Aceon6; 06-13-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: one more thought
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Salome View Post
    Whether people are returning from a week away or a year away, the plane is the same size. It can only accommodate so much.
    Yes, but that's my point. The plane is the same size, yet until very recently you could take twice the luggage between Europe and the US as you could between Europe and Australia, and you can still take twice the luggage between Europe and South America. Also, people with round the world tickets are allowed double the luggage. If a plane can accommodate 40kg per person on a plane to South America, it can also do that on flights to Australia where each leg is slightly shorter than the total leg to South America.

The reason they don't is purely financial. They can get a lot more money charging passangers for excess luggage when they're flying further, so have usually been travelling longer, and have more stuff.

Also, if I travel for a week, I travel light. There's no way my luggage would weigh more than 15kg (usually less) but I'm allowed 23kg. It would make more sense for people on short trips to have a lower limit, and long trips a higher limit. It would mean that the total weight of luggage remains the same.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Well, one, just before enterring the plane for a domestic flight, they decided my carry-on luggage was too big (it was just a hand bag, okay, a big one). They forced me to check it at the last minute, so I didn't have any bag with me during the flight !
    Not very important, but you see that they sometimes are strict on this too !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    As for shipping vs. bringing it on the plane, many of my trips are golf trips. On most airlines, the cost to ship clubs is higher than FedEx charges. I now ship 90% of the time. Bonus is that FedEx guarantees delivery and has an option for full insurance for replacement cost. The airlines guarantee neither.
    That works well domestically. But, internationally over night can take a week. And not all hotels will accept luggage, clubs if they arrive too early. A friend's husband used to fly for FedEx and I asked him if it was a good idea to FedEX to Europe, and he told me the above.

As far as too much luggage. The plane can only carry so much weight. There are rules for size and weight of luggage for safety reasons. Everyone seems to think their "stuff" is more important that other's. And everyone seems to think that they need to have their "stuff" with them more than others do. We all do it . But, the fact is if everyone just loaded up, for whatever reason, the planes would get too heavy.

vCash
    Yes, but that's my point. The plane is the same size, yet until very recently you could take twice the luggage between Europe and the US as you could between Europe and Australia, and you can still take twice the luggage between Europe and South America. Also, people with round the world tickets are allowed double the luggage. If a plane can accommodate 40kg per person on a plane to South America, it can also do that on flights to Australia where each leg is slightly shorter than the total leg to South America.
    The planes may still be the same size, but if I am not mistaken, there may be fewer flights between USA-Europe these days, and the flights that are offered seem to be quite full by the time of departure...

The reason they don't is purely financial. They can get a lot more money charging passangers for excess luggage when they're flying further, so have usually been travelling longer, and have more stuff.
    Yes, but it's also logistics. For example, take a NYC-Budapest flight in early June and you'll have a plane full of peeps flying back to destinations all over central/eastern Europe accompanied with their necessities/possessions/prezzies they accumulated during a 10 month stay of living/working in the USA.

Back in the 90s/early 00's, these flights used to be 1/2 - 3/4 full, but due to consolidation, for the past few years they have been packed to the gills. Now that Malév (Hungarian Airline) no longer flies to USA/Canada, it's even worse as that was usually the best (and often the only) direct flight...

Also, if I travel for a week, I travel light. There's no way my luggage would weigh more than 15kg (usually less) but I'm allowed 23kg. It would make more sense for people on short trips to have a lower limit, and long trips a higher limit. It would mean that the total weight of luggage remains the same.
    Short as in length of flight(s) to final destination, or length of time between departure and return trip?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sbanet View Post
    Short as in length of flight(s) to final destination, or length of time between departure and return trip?
    Length of time between departure and return trip. The longer you're away, the more stuff you're likely to need or accumulate.

I've never been on a Europe-US flight, but all flights I've been on have been full. I've been flying regularly for 10 years and the only empty seats I've seen in that time was when we flew on an A380 instead of a boeing jumbo.

All airlines are suffering because of the crisis...so they're raising money in whatever way they can. Cracking down on luggage size and weight and charging for excess is an obvious way to do it.

Like I said before, I normally travel light and have only pushed the hand luggage restrictions once, but when you're travelling somewhere for a year it's a bit harder

vCash
    What do you suggest for those with one way tickets Jen? I think your suggestion is completely impractical. I almost always have a year long ticket and almost always change the dates several times. Plus, just because my ticket is year long doesn't mean I moving somewhere and therefore need to take more stuff; I already live overeas. If anything, that should mean I need less stuff because all my stuff is already in China and when I travel home I can pack just for the time I'm there. Of course, I do bring a lot of stuff back (mostly presents since I'm home for Christmas), but I don't need to, I choose to. If anything I'd prefer more kgs for Bejing- Australia (which is a two week stay) to take presents home than for Australia-China (which is a one year stay).

vCash
    I am a frugal flyer now and we travel with one checked bag and 2 carry-ons between my husband and I. We have it down pat though and just have the 2 carry ons between us. I don`t understand how others get away with all the carry ons myself and how they are quite selective on when they confront people. I don`t get it
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    The plane is the same size, yet until very recently you could take twice the luggage between Europe and the US as you could between Europe and Australia, and you can still take twice the luggage between Europe and South America.
    But that's because of fuel costs. The longer the route and the heavier the plane load, the more fuel it takes to fly. When fuel costs skyrocketed, longer flights were hit especially hard. Heavier baggage on those longer flights only exacerbates the problem.

It's a lot cheaper for an airline to fly someone with little to no baggage than someone with an excess of heavy baggage. So airlines try to make those passengers who incur more expenses for them pay for that.

There's a reason freight is expensive shipping to Australia. And the more freight you ship, the more it will cost because of the added fuel it will take to get there. I'm unsure why you would think it would be different for passengers and their baggage on commercial flights .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    But that's because of fuel costs. The longer the route and the heavier the plane load, the more fuel it takes to fly. When fuel costs skyrocketed, longer flights were hit especially hard. Heavier baggage on those longer flights only exacerbates the problem.
    Good point, and I do understand that, but that doesn't prevent me from reserving the right to be annoyed that not only am I from the most isolated country in the world where you're forced to travel a LONG way to visit any other country, but we have to pay a LOT for the ticket and can't go shopping wherever we go

However, there is no direct flight to Australia from Europe. There are two flights - one to Asia, and then one on. Both those legs are shorter than the trip from Europe to South America, or from Australia to the US, yet both those longer flights get more luggage. That's why I think it's illogical.

Last time I went home, I took a flight to Singapore and then another through to Sydney. Sometimes it's the same flight - they just change crew in Asia - and sometimes it's a totally different flight number and plane. Why should there be double the luggage to South America than there is to Asia? Asia is closer, thus they need less fuel to get there. It would make a lot more sense to me if South America decided to lower the limit, like North America did last September.

Then I wouldn't feel so ripped off
    Last edited by *Jen*; 06-13-2010 at 10:50 PM.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    You could always move to South America.

And unless you're a Kiwi you don't come from the most isolated country in the world either.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    And unless you're a Kiwi you don't come from the most isolated country in the world either.
    But...but they have SHEEP in New Zealand

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    You could always move to South America.
    Totally OT, but that reminded me of something.

When my son was little, we traveled together to a conference. He's a pretty social child, so he was hanging out with the other children there.

One day while I was talking to some other attendees, he came up and pulled me aside.

Him: Mom, can I have a new nickname. How about Jay?

Me: Um, okay--why though?

Him: No reason. Oh and mom, can I use my imagination to pretend I'm from somewhere else--like South America?

Me: Um, sure, if you want .

Him: Great!

He then went up to a group of kids at the conference saying, 'Hi! I'm Jay. And I'm from South America!"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234