Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Depends on the airline and how full the flight is, but *damn* the flight attendants/crew can crack down. Especially on the later-boarding passengers. Not that it's the late row passengers fault. The overhead bins are full with all the early boarders stuff!

When I've been in the unlucky, late boarding rows, even with a carry on bag that below the regulation size, I've twice had a flight attendant - right at the door of the plane - go, SORRY! we're gonna have to gate check. Bins are full. And they just grab that luggage and give me a receipt. (I do get to keep my bag, in which I've learned to carry one night of essentials.

There was no charge for gate checking the bag.

I know it's a safety issue, because people are crazed about over-carrying carry on luggage. If you have to exit the plane in the hurry, you'll be crawling over piles of suitcases that fly everywhere when the overhead compartments burst open.

but the reason people freak out and carry so much crap: the airlines lose luggage.

garden freak
    vCash
    I visit my sister several times of year and usuallyfly to Manchester, NH, Portland ME and most recently Bangor ME. I bought a smaller bag and pack light. Just the bag that meets the size requirement and a purse. The reason I use carryon is because there are no direct flights and almost every time I change planes in Chicago, Detroit or Boston my bag doesn't make the trip. I'm only going for a short trip and I hate not getting my bag. For a few years I wasn't averaging 50%! I would file a claim and then they would deliver the bag to my sisters home the nest day - a 2-1/2hour drive from Manchester or about 2 hours from Portland. Talk about inefficient. It would really be annoying to pay Delta to check the bag and then not receive it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viennese View Post
    Depends on the airline and how full the flight is, but *damn* the flight attendants/crew can crack down. Especially on the later-boarding passengers. Not that it's the late row passengers fault. The overhead bins are full with all the early boarders stuff!
    On a recent trip, the flight attendants had to make an announcement about some special offer the airline had in conjunction with some bank. You know, sign up for the bank's credit card and get tons of miles, etc. Well, I wasn't paying close attention, but one of the things you got if you signed up was guaranteed zone 2 seating for some duration of time (missed the part about how long). Zone 2, they noted, is the first group seated (after first class), so you're guaranteed to find room for your carry ons.
    Creating drama!

vCash
    I'm one of those people who tends to over-pack. Part of this is because I don't travel much, so don't have a simple packing system in place. And a large part of it is because the weather is unpredictable in most places I've flown in recent years. For example, Winnipeg requires me to pack for three seasons and often I've packed wrong because I encounter the fourth - intense heat in April and snow in August (seriously).

The carry-on I took with me on a recent flight was larger than the dimensions specified by the airline. Not a lot, but a good few inches in two of the dimension. Airline staff didn't look twice at it and there was no issue with space in the overhead cabinets on that flight, which was full. Given that this is an airline which charges for checked bags and the flight was just a few hours, I'd expect that overheads to be crammed to capacity. If they were, it wasn't a problem. . .

I concluded that the specified dimensions for carry-on luggage are just guidelines, as opposed to rules.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I concluded that the specified dimensions for carry-on luggage are just guidelines, as opposed to rules.
    Again, that depends on the airline and the airport. I have been in airports in Europe, where they have these little square things (smaller than the x-ray belt opening) that your luggage has to fit through. If it doesn't you have to check it. In Barcelona it was at the security check point. Which was rather annoying, because if your carry-on didn't fit through this square, you had to bring it back to check-in and go through security again. Or maybe that is a good thin, you do that once, you won't again. It didn't effect us, ours were fine, but it holds security up. Especially when there are families with large carry-on pieces who feel that arguing with the security people will actually get them anywhere.

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    Zero overhead luggage might work if you're flying for a couple of hours. Try flying for 24 straight and then see if you still think it's a good idea
    Quite! Even the things you might need as absolute essentials, plus valuables that shouldn't be checked, for a 24 hour flight require more than a handbag. That's before adding a couple of very thick books (I can't sleep on planes and the movies are usually rubbish, so I need lots of reading matter). I completely agree that people often have too much carry on luggage, but you need at least a back pack for proper long haul (yes Jen, Europe to USA is definitely medium haul!).
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Hop View Post
    Quite! Even the things you might need as absolute essentials, plus valuables that shouldn't be checked, for a 24 hour flight require more than a handbag. That's before adding a couple of very thick books (I can't sleep on planes and the movies are usually rubbish, so I need lots of reading matter). I completely agree that people often have too much carry on luggage, but you need at least a back pack for proper long haul (yes Jen, Europe to USA is definitely medium haul!).
    And even if you travel light, with just a small handbag, you don't want to be storing it under the seat for that kind of flight. You really, REALLY need the leg room under the seat in front.

I generally take my valuables, a toothbrush and a book on the plane with me, and that's all. I rarely use anything other than the toothbrush and the book, but I don't want to risk losing things if my luggage goes astray.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    I object to carryons in overhead bins in general.
    I object to flight attendants having to double as restaurant workers. I think if there's any food or drink, we should carry it on ourselves and carry out our garbage.

But that would be as popular as eliminating the overhead bins, although doing both would give us the hands to carry our food and drink on and our garbage off.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I object to flight attendants having to double as restaurant workers. I think if there's any food or drink, we should carry it on ourselves and carry out our garbage.

But that would be as popular as eliminating the overhead bins, although doing both would give us the hands to carry our food and drink on and our garbage off.
    Actually, serving food and collecting the garbage is a huge part of flight attendants' jobs. What else do they do? It's not that hard to find your seat.

I have friends who are flight attendants and know it's not a very easy job, but seriously? Maybe on a very short flight, but on longer ones, there's no way your food suggestion would work.

vCash
    A flight attendant's primary job is to ensure the safety of the passengers. Everything else is quite secondary.
    Creating drama!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    A flight attendant's primary job is to ensure the safety of the passengers. Everything else is quite secondary.
    Quite.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    That goes without saying.

They tend to disappear for hours on end during the flight though, so I often wonder if safetly is secondary at all times other than take off and landing.

vCash
    That goes without saying.
    Apparently.
    Creating drama!

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    I generally take my valuables, a toothbrush and a book on the plane with me, and that's all. I rarely use anything other than the toothbrush and the book, but I don't want to risk losing things if my luggage goes astray.
    Yes, no way I'm trusting my laptop and camera to checked luggage. Same goes for medications, which I will both need on a lengthy flight and would also become an issue if my checked bags were delayed (which is really what I mean by essentials, along with wallet, passport and so on). I can get all of that, plus books, into a normal sized backpack which will easily fit into the overhead locker though - it doesn't go under my seat for exactly the reason Jen mentioned. You need the leg room on long haul, and the seats are close enough together to start with.

As for the food service, completely agree that food is non-essential on short flights. I always find it ridiculous on a 90 minute flight where the flight attendants have to get the meal out and then have to start clearing again as soon as the reach the end of the cabin. But again, it's impractical on long haul for people to bring all their own food (in a single carry on bag!). More importantly, everyone would have to bring huge bottles of water with them, and have somewhere to put it, as you need to stay well hydrated on a very long flights to help avoid dehydration and potential DVT. So that is actually a health and safety issue, or at the very least, an airline-avoiding-litigation issue!

Not saying the safety aspect (which must often seem to the attendants like saving stupid people from themselves) isn't indeed a very important, if not the most important, aspect of a flight attendants job, just that it's not always true to say that the food service is unnecessary.
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

vCash
    Apparently.
    And just as well, since the pilots can't always be trusted with it

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Hop View Post

As for the food service, completely agree that food is non-essential on short flights. I always find it ridiculous on a 90 minute flight where the flight attendants have to get the meal out and then have to start clearing again as soon as the reach the end of the cabin. But again, it's impractical on long haul for people to bring all their own food (in a single carry on bag!). More importantly, everyone would have to bring huge bottles of water with them, and have somewhere to put it, as you need to stay well hydrated on a very long flights to help avoid dehydration and potential DVT. So that is actually a health and safety issue, or at the very least, an airline-avoiding-litigation issue!
    Oh I agree that food is unecessary on short flights like that

I feel I've mentioned 24 hour flight too often already but...it's hard to say that food is unecessary on those : That said, they could easily do without a meal. They have to serve two per leg, for some reason, but if you're doing both legs from Europe to Australia, then you end up with one meal more than you want or can comfortably digest. And it's usually at 4am

vCash
    Haven't read the thread yet, but I have to say I just LOVE (sarcasm) those precious people that place their hat (cowboy or some other type) in the overhead bin. Are you kidding me? And then they get all pissy when someone wants to use the overhead bin to place a reasonable sized carry-on case and moves their hat sideways or on top of a piece of carry-on to maximize the space. Put it on your damn head or under your feet!

vCash
    I haven't been on any 90 minute flight that has meal service. Sodas maybe. In fact, I haven't been on a 3 or 4 hour flight that serves meals. You can "purchase" a box lunch from a vendor like TGFridays, but that is about it.

I will admit that I have taken carry ons at times, but could really do without. I have a largish size purse that I use to carry my medications and books. And I guess I have to say that I must have been most fortunate to never have my luggage lost.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post

I will admit that I have taken carry ons at times, but could really do without. I have a largish size purse that I use to carry my medications and books. And I guess I have to say that I must have been most fortunate to never have my luggage lost.
    On the airlines I fly with, a purse IS a carry on. So you do have a carry on then

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    Haven't read the thread yet, but I have to say I just LOVE (sarcasm) those precious people that place their hat (cowboy or some other type) in the overhead bin. Are you kidding me? And then they get all pissy when someone wants to use the overhead bin to place a reasonable sized carry-on case and moves their hat sideways or on top of a piece of carry-on to maximize the space. Put it on your damn head or under your feet!
    YES!
    Some idiot once started with my family because we moved his jacket that was in our overhead bin.

I say "our" because we had all of the seats in that half-row, and he was siting a row or so back and across the aisle. All we did was put his jacket on top of someone else's carry-on that was already in the bin (there was space) and kept it folded exactly like it was. Then, there was space in the bin for our things. He jumps out of his seat and is all pissy we moved his jacket. What? I don't think his jacket should take up the place of 2 carry-ons when it can easily be placed on top of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post

Agree that the primary job is to ensure safety. However, I also agree with kwanfan1818. If their job only comprised of passenger safety, they could get rid of half of the flight attendants. They don't need 7 or 8 on one plane if all they have to do is keep people safe. Flight attendants have always been saftey persons who were pretty much glorified waiters and waitresses. They get paid to serve food and beverages and in the event of a dangerous situation they are trained to keep calm and keep others calm.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast