Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Travel to Poland and Russia more often: on flights to Warsaw and Moscow, people were up in the aisles and pulling their stuff out of the overhead bins immediately after the hard landing breaking stopped.

If there was an announcement to stay in one's seat until the seat belt sign was turned off no one could hear it in the commotion.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Ah, a subject so fresh in my mind ...

I flew to Indy and back from LAX last week, on United, and both ways we came up short on overhead space due to oversized/too-many bags being carried on.

No! Japanese hotel rooms are NOT supposed to be allowed as carry-on bags!

No! Great Dane-sized duffles are NOT supposed to qualify as "small, personal bags".

No! Couples separately embarking in order to sneak in TWO stollers (bells n' whistles and small) for your single baby is NOT cool! (Saw this happen twice last week.)

Anyway, while waiting out the last delay while workers checked in the ~30 "carry-on" bags that embarked after the overheads of our 767 had filled, my final seat-mate and I wondered how much longer until the airlines would reverse their charges for checking bags. Surely the cost of delays (and of rerouting missed connections) are more than the profit being made from checked bags?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I don't have to pay a dime to check bags unless I fly Alaska to NYC, and I try to avoid checking bags at all costs unless I'm on an extended work trip. My approved, non-wheeled, fabric suitcase/backpack that takes up less room than a wheelie is just fine for a trip up to two weeks.

It's a control issue. And a getting my luggage back in one piece and not filthy or soaking issue.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I was on a very full flight on Monday and the gate agent was warning that there was not going to be enough space in the overhead bins for all the carry ons. So they offered to check bags for free. But there seemed to be few takers (I had already checked mine). They seemed pretty desperate and were even implying that those carry ons that didn't fit and needed to be gate checked at the last minute might get lost (we cannot guarantee that they will reach your final destination).

I'm at the airport at the moment, waiting for a flight, and so far I've seen no egregious carry ons. But I'll keep looking. I didn't check my roller bag because I tried (unsuccessfully) to get on a different flight on stand-by. But my bag is quite small (and cute). I bought it recently because my other roller bag was just too big to carry on (IMO, although clearly not in the opinion of most fliers). And, since most of my trips are 2-3 days, I don't need a large bag.
    Creating drama!

vCash
    Back in 2004 I flew to Hong Kong from NYC via Northwest. In the middle of the trip I flew HK to Beijing round trip on Dragon air. I had a 'carry-on' bag for that trip, but was asked to check it in. Their carryon size for Dragonair was smaller than most US.

When I flew home from HK to NYC, I had a bought a lamp which was carefully packed and planned to carry on. It was considered too big, I think the height. But the employee took the box, my 3rd checkin bag, put a fragile sticker on it and did not charge me.

In 2008 flying within the US, i checked one heavy bag, over 50 lbs, but the person did not charge me, but did put a sticker on the bag 'heavy'.
    Being nice to the folks checking you in seems to help.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    I also travel alone, and I've decided this is the worst thing about traveling alone: having no one to watch your stuff when you have time to kill in the airport.
    Here here. I usually only have one small rolling luggage with me and a purse, but it's still annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    In 2008 flying within the US, i checked one heavy bag, over 50 lbs, but the person did not charge me, but did put a sticker on the bag 'heavy'.

Being nice to the folks checking you in seems to help.
    Maybe my aunt always comes off as a bitch, because whenever she flies, she ALWAYS goes over the limit and she's ALWAYS charged.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Travel to Poland and Russia more often: on flights to Warsaw and Moscow, people were up in the aisles and pulling their stuff out of the overhead bins immediately after the hard landing breaking stopped.

If there was an announcement to stay in one's seat until the seat belt sign was turned off no one could hear it in the commotion.
    On my last flight, from Stockholm to Brussels, there was an announcement not long after we landed that was along the lines of "ladies and gentlemen, please remain in your seats with your seatbelts fastened until we have reached the terminal and stopped, and the seatbelt sign has been switched off. I would like to remind you that no passangers have yet reached the terminal before the plane".

We were all about that one.

I have been guilty of having a little too much hand luggage on long haul international flights, but in my defence, long haul for me means 22-24 hours (Europe to the US is mid-haul, in my view ) and I've moved between Europe and Australia twice, and I'd really like anyone packing for a year to fit what they need into the 20kg (44lb) checked luggage restriction.

Moving home with a year's university work that I couldn't throw out was the worst. Hence my overweight carry-on

If I'm travelling, I travel very light though.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    They'd have to board by amount of carry-on luggage for that to work: all the people with overhead luggage, in the aisle and middle seats, and those without stuff in the bin, on the aisles.

I think that anyone who has a suitcase that doesn't fit the narrow way should be forced to sit in the center seat.
    in my ideal world, and it is ideal because let's face it we won't ever get rid of those who believe that they can carry on everything but the treadmill, those without carry ons would get priority seating in the front rows.

not everyone who does not use the carry on options care whether or not they are delayed 10 minutes from exiting the plane or getting a concussion from being hit with the over weight over stuffed carry on of their fellow travelers. They can choose to sit with those who do carry on.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post

I have been guilty of having a little too much hand luggage on long haul international flights, but in my defence, long haul for me means 22-24 hours (Europe to the US is mid-haul, in my view ) and I've moved between Europe and Australia twice, and I'd really like anyone packing for a year to fit what they need into the 20kg (44lb) checked luggage restriction.

Moving home with a year's university work that I couldn't throw out was the worst. Hence my overweight carry-on
    IMO that's no defense at all. Since when are airlines your personal moving agency? Post it or ship it commercially.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    On the last few flights I've taken (domestic and international, on a couple of different airlines) the airline staff have been *very* strict about the size, weight, etc. of checked baggage.....but basically turn a blind eye to people with carry-on bags that are, oh, roughly the size of my house And with more bags than the signs and the tickets say are allowed.

I'm curious about this. Why do airlines not enforce, or not seem to enforce, the regulations on carry-on luggage? Do they figure it's just easier to let them get on the plane with whatever, rather than force them to check the extra bags or large bags and pay for them? Or do they kind of not care what goes in the cabin, as long as it gets through security? Or is this just something about the airlines I travelled on?
    It depends on the airline and whether or not they feel like enforcing their own rules. I flew to Europe a few years ago and had a small suit bag with a few dresses in it, a change of underwear, and a pair of shoes. I like to do that incase of luggage not arriving with me. Anyway, it could roll up much smaller than any of the "allowed" carry on luggage. Including the duffle my husband had and the backpacks my kids had. I was not allowed to bring the suit bag on the plane, but husband and kids could bring their bags. I said, but mine is smaller, they didn't care. They have a policy that garment bags have to be checked. I told them that what I had wasn't really a garment bag, it was just one of those suit bags that you get when you buy a suit at a department store. They didn't care. I was not sure it would make it being checked as it was pretty fragile, but it did.

The next time I flew, I brought a more substantial garment bag, figuring I would have to check it. they let me carry it on. Go figure.

vCash
    I've been doing a lot of work travel lately and haven't had any problems with carry-on luggage. I have a roller suitcase that's just small enough to fit through the aisle and also just small enough to fit depth-wise in the overhead compartment of the larger planes (6 seats in a row). When I'm on a smaller plane (4 seats in a row), they just check my bag at the gate and I receive it on the jetway rather than being stuck waiting at baggage claim (though when I travel, I generally try to find flights that don't involve regional jets so that I can avoid the smaller planes with less overhead bin space). I hate checking bags, not because of the extra cost (my company will cover it), but because: 1) I worry my luggage will get lost, 2) I hate wasting time to check the bag, and 3) I hate wasting time at baggage claim. Number one is my biggest concern because I don't have any non-stop flight options from my city to where I travel for work, therefore providing the airline an extra opportunity to lose my luggage at my transfer city.

vCash
    I will occasionally check bags to smaller airports. I try very hard not to check bags into Newark, where sometimes it can take up to an hour to get your bags after you land.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    IMO that's no defense at all. Since when are airlines your personal moving agency? Post it or ship it commercially.
    It's easy to judge when you're not in that situation. Posting things 20 000km isn't cheap, and when it's enough to be able to carry on your own stuff in a normal carry on rolling bag and a small backpack, without asking for help, when others carry a lot more, then I'll do that over paying $500 for one box any day.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    It's easy to judge when you're not in that situation. Posting things 20 000km isn't cheap, and when it's enough to be able to carry on your own stuff in a normal carry on rolling bag and a small backpack, without asking for help, when others carry a lot more, then I'll do that over paying $500 for one box any day.
    You're the one that used the word "defense" as though you recognized doing something wrong. If what you carried on was within the airline regs then shrug - no problem. I just don't like the argument that my circumstances are special.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    You're the one that used the word "defense" as though you recognized doing something wrong. If what you carried on was within the airline regs then shrug - no problem. I just don't like the argument that my circumstances are special.
    It wasn't within airline regs. You're allowed one piece only, and I was over. But given that the restriction at that time was exactly half of what you could carry on US-EU flights which are half the length and cost, I don't know anyone who would have seriously called me out on it. '

Lots of people had more than I did, and they were going on holidays.

And I do feel that there are some circumstances where some people might need more luggage - not just that my circumstances were special. I think a few people have valid special circumstances. I find it bizzare that you have the same restriction if you're ticket is a week long of a year long. Also, people with kids and babies often need to carry more stuff than the airlines will allow, and the fact that a laptop counts as your carry-on on many airlines is absurd.

I get annoyed when people such as the lady who went shopping in Singapore for the weekend try to get 4 15kg carry-ons on board and get all when they can't. That's ridiculous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    I will occasionally check bags to smaller airports. I try very hard not to check bags into Newark, where sometimes it can take up to an hour to get your bags after you land.
    I'm sorry - this seems to be a "my time is more important than anyone else's" attitude. I get it, people need to have their luggage with them, they need to save their precious time.

I suppose that it is because I didn't travel for business very often. But even when I am on a vacation trip and try to schedule my connecting flights for at least 45 - 120 or more minutes between flights there are still delays or other weather related issues that make getting a connecting flight several terminals away difficult to make. I even try to schedule an additional day off just because I might miss my connection and get stranded in another airport.

Even if I am sitting mid plane rows, it can take a very long time to get off the plane.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    I'm sorry - this seems to be a "my time is more important than anyone else's" attitude. I get it, people need to have their luggage with them, they need to save their precious time.

I suppose that it is because I didn't travel for business very often. But even when I am on a vacation trip and try to schedule my connecting flights for at least 45 - 120 or more minutes between flights there are still delays or other weather related issues that make getting a connecting flight several terminals away difficult to make. I even try to schedule an additional day off just because I might miss my connection and get stranded in another airport.

Even if I am sitting mid plane rows, it can take a very long time to get off the plane.
    You've assumed that I abuse the airline's rules re: carry on luggage. I never said I did. What I said was that I check when I travel unless I travel into Newark, and then I try not to check.

Doesn't mean I pack huge. I pack light. You've made an incorrect assumption.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    You have made an assumption that I only object to overstuff carry ons. I object to carryons in overhead bins in general. Where someone holds up the deplaning because they have to get something out of the overhead, blocking everyone from getting off the planes.

I think I said in an post that we should get rid of the overhead bins, save enough room for O2 masks and essential airline equipment such as an AED. Would give those tall people more head space.

vCash
    You have made an assumption that I only object to overstuff carry ons. I object to carryons in overhead bins in general. Where someone holds up the deplaning because they have to get something out of the overhead, blocking everyone from getting off the planes.

I think I said in an post that we should get rid of the overhead bins, save enough room for O2 masks and essential airline equipment such as an AED. Would give those tall people more head space.
    What kind of planes are you flying on Because you'd have to be 10 foot high to hit your head on those overhead lockers from your seat, and they don't overhang into the aisle.

Zero overhead luggage might work if you're flying for a couple of hours. Try flying for 24 straight and then see if you still think it's a good idea

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Yes, Newark is rather slow at getting the bags up. What's strange is that they get the first load of bags up quickly, then you wait endlessly for the next ones. If yours are not in that first load, you wait forever.

However, in other ways I find Newark to be a very easy to navigate airport.

When the airlines stop losing luggage people might be more willing to not bring essentials on the plane with them. Not full suitcases, but a small regulation bag that you can get a few necessities in.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast