Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Watch me move
    vCash

A Serious Question about Carry-on Luggage

On the last few flights I've taken (domestic and international, on a couple of different airlines) the airline staff have been *very* strict about the size, weight, etc. of checked baggage.....but basically turn a blind eye to people with carry-on bags that are, oh, roughly the size of my house And with more bags than the signs and the tickets say are allowed.

I'm curious about this. Why do airlines not enforce, or not seem to enforce, the regulations on carry-on luggage? Do they figure it's just easier to let them get on the plane with whatever, rather than force them to check the extra bags or large bags and pay for them? Or do they kind of not care what goes in the cabin, as long as it gets through security? Or is this just something about the airlines I travelled on?
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    It takes more time to board the plane when people carry on so much luggage, because people block the aisles stowing all that stuff and because they often need to search around them for space. The flight attendants are put in a position either to police the people who shove their stuff in the front of the plane, leaving little room for the people actually sitting there, or to wait until there are angry people who encounter empty rows and full overhead compartments. (Although I've found that United, at least, tends to be protective of Economy Plus overhead space, being willing to piss off Premier and Premier Execs who board early but are in the back of the plane.)

I've been amazed at the amount of carry-on stuff they let people take on planes. I can't believe they let people take on suitcases that don't fit in width-wise and take up half a bin. Right after 9/11, they did try to police the number of carry-ons per person going through security, but they stopped counting after a while. While boarding an Alaska flight a couple of years ago, I was lectured for having a Red Oxx backpack suitcase, which meets the size regs and takes up less space than an approved carry-on sized suitcase, a laptop case, which fit under the seat, and a winter jacket, which I kept on my lap, but they let me on. I was expecting a repeat on my way back the next day, but nada.

The only person I saw who was blocked by the gate agent was an elderly woman who moving back from Japan and was heading to Houston where her husband was hospitalized. She had had a hellish set of flights -- United has lost her dogs -- and as she tried to board, the gate agent told her she couldn't bring on her standard-size roll-on suitcase, her purse, and one of those squarish flight attendant vanity cases from the '60's in which she had all of her medications. He insisted she check her drugs or her suitcase right there, because it was a federal regulation that only two carry-ons be allowed. This was the only time I saw this enforced and this explanation given.

I never seen anyone be charged for gate checking luggage, I think because really big suitcases don't fit through the security x-ray machines. At least when something is gate-checked, you know it's on the right plane. My favorite checked luggage scenario is where there's a metal cart right outside the plane to dump your luggage on the way in, and you pick it up from the cart on the other end. This is for small planes where there's no jetway.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    It depends on the airline. In Europe, Ryan Air makes an enormous amount of profit by forcing you to check your hand luggage at the airport when it is 1cm bigger than specified, or 1cm larger. If you ever travel with them, beware - there is no way you'll get away with even 100g more than 10kg hand luggage.

Easyjet, on the other hand, prefer you to take one very heavy piece of hand luggage than check an item, because the less checked luggage there is, the less dependent they are on airport staff and the faster the turnover.

There is also a safety issue - lots of people have VERY heavy bags that they can't lift, and they expect the crew to help them lift it. The crew aren't supposed to life hand luggage that's more than the specified weight. It's not their job.

I've seen quite a lot of people charged for gate checking luggage, although I know a few who got away with it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    The airlines I've flown here in the US quite recently have been much more strict about carry-on luggage than in the past. They check sizes by eye, and make people check bags that are too large. I think that's because checked baggage is now a profit center for the airline - they charge per piece.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    When we were leaving NYC this past December I saw tons of people with larger than allowed carry on luggage as well as more pieces than allowed. However, I assumed they let it slide because a huge winter storm had shut down the airports for a couple of days and a ton of people on our flight were people who had their flights canceled the days before. So I think they were just being lenient and trying to get everyone to their destination.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Australia have been very strict when I've flown Australia - China. They weigh it *and* make sure that it regulation size. Last time they even made me weigh my handbag (I ended up having to give books to my parents to post me!!) It's occupation health and safety regulations. Tears no longer work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    There is also a safety issue - lots of people have VERY heavy bags that they can't lift, and they expect the crew to help them lift it. The crew aren't supposed to life hand luggage that's more than the specified weight. It's not their job.
    Exactly! If you yourself have trouble lifting it, then it's not carry-on luggage!!!
    If ignorance is bliss, I'm overjoyed.

vCash
    I was on a smallish jet from Boston to Raleigh in April. They were very strict and didn't allow anyone to gate check an item that wouldn't have fit in the overhead on a regular flight. The gate attendant advised folks in advance that if it was even a smidge over the 45 total linear inches, they would charge for the checked bag fee.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I'd rather airlines charge for carry-on luggage than checked luggage. People with a lot of carry-on luggage are annoying, though I think some of them might pack so much to avoid the charge. I hate being behind them, especially if I have little time to make a connecting flight.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    I usually fly small regional air lines so I get to gate check, which is ideal. You don't pay the checked bag fee, you don't have to fight for an overhead bin and your bags are waiting for you right outside the plane.

I fly Delta quite a bit and when I am on a larger plane, the carry on rules seem pretty lenient. I've never seen anyone get a hard time for having a huge bag or too many bags. It could be because I fly in and out of East Podunk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    I'd rather airlines charge for carry-on luggage than checked luggage. People with a lot of carry-on luggage are annoying, though I think some of them might pack so much to avoid the charge. I hate being behind them, especially if I have little time to make a connecting flight.
    This has always been one of my pet peeves when flying; waiting in line while some bozo tries to stuff his/her too big bag into the overhead bin. Since I'm usually alone when I fly, I *always* check my luggage. Otherwise I have to schlep it with me when I go to the bathroom or grab a bite to eat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    Since I'm usually alone when I fly, I *always* check my luggage. Otherwise I have to schlep it with me when I go to the bathroom or grab a bite to eat.
    I also travel alone, and I've decided this is the worst thing about traveling alone: having no one to watch your stuff when you have time to kill in the airport.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    I also travel alone, and I've decided this is the worst thing about traveling alone: having no one to watch your stuff when you have time to kill in the airport.
    But this should force you to pack less and smaller. If all your carry-ons can fit in a backpack like contraption then it's no trouble keeping an eye on your stuffs while killing time at the airport.

Since we're ranting about plane .... I just had an 11 hours flight back to the States recently. The woman sitting next to me not only filled out her seat to its maximum, but she also spilt over into 1/4 of my seat. Ugh. I should demand that I can only sit next to skinny b*tches .

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    A smaller, regional, budget airline this year made headlines for charging for carry-ons. Their rationale was that carry-on luggage hurt the efficiency of boarding and off-boarding.

On the other hand, checked baggage makes them dependent on baggage handlers and unions, individual airport policies, practices, and efficiency. It's also costly in terms of customer service, when baggage gets lost or delayed, and it creates a down-side for last-minute re-routing. When people are doing their own schlepping and baggage control, the airlines are not responsible for it.

It will be interesting to see if the "I want to control my baggage" attitude changes as boomers become older, physically weaker, and retired. I might check baggage out of spite if they took up your suggestion, but if they charged regardless, I'd still want to be in control of my stuff for almost all of my travel, and I suspect the airlines would continue to make it free for their premium travelers, which means all of that business luggage in the overheads stays put until the boomers retire.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    But this should force you to pack less and smaller. If all your carry-ons can fit in a backpack like contraption then it's no trouble keeping an eye on your stuffs while killing time at the airport.
    But that's not always feasible. If you're going somewhere for a week, or somewhere like a wedding or business conference where you might need several changes of clothing that you don't want wadded up in a bookbag, or somewhere that has unpredictable weather, you can't stuff it all in a backpack. So you check it.

Just for the record, when traveling, my only carry-on is my booksack, a regular, school one that middle school kids carry without wheels, just big enough for a laptop, my book, and my purse, and it slides easily under the seat. Meanwhile, the guy in front of me has packed his entire life story in his "carry-on" samsonite luggage, and dropping others' equally large, unnecessary crap/shopping bags filled with last minute souvenirs on everyone's head.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    But that's not always feasible. If you're going somewhere for a week, or somewhere like a wedding or business conference where you might need several changes of clothing that you don't want wadded up in a bookbag, or somewhere that has unpredictable weather, you can't stuff it all in a backpack. So you check it.
    But it's safer to carry on the essentials, like the bridesmaid's dress, or the ice dance costumes, so that you're sure to have them with you. (I wish they'd figure out a way to get mini-safes to allow skates on board, or maybe a safe compartment that requires two keys, one of which is always controlled by someone on the receiving end.)

vCash
    And if the airlines don't want to charge for this, I would suggest that all passengers WITHOUT carry ons leave the plane first before the aisle hogs are allowed to leave. I would have missed a flight if the same weather delay landing issues also prevented the that flight from leaving. And those aisle hogs whose carry on has been place 4 rows behind them have hit me on the head before.

In fact, let's get rid of the carry on option, removing the overhead bins and have a small comparment for the storage of blankets/pillows/oxygen masks/first aid/AED only!!! More head room for those tall people

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    They'd have to board by amount of carry-on luggage for that to work: all the people with overhead luggage, in the aisle and middle seats, and those without stuff in the bin, on the aisles.

I think that anyone who has a suitcase that doesn't fit the narrow way should be forced to sit in the center seat.

vCash
    Word.

When I do carry a bag on, I wait until there's a lull in the people getting off the plane before I try to get it down.

When I fly to Europe this Friday, my carry-on is going to be my purse, since my iPad fits in it.

eta: And no, I've never seen them make Mr. AllmyLifeinmy McLuggage check any of his bags.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    When I do carry a bag on, I wait until there's a lull in the people getting off the plane before I try to get it down.
    Same here.

And my carry-on consists of my messenger bag and a purse (and sometimes a shopping bag when I'm coming back from Europe which will then contain my purse).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast