Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    On another note, she seems even better that Madonna at attracting attention and that helps her immensely.
    The Internets is Lady Gaga's friend. Those of us who lived through the naked hairy armpit Madonna period back in the 80s saw quite a lot of her in the limited outlets that were available, believe me.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash

Katy Perry thinks Lady Gaga is blasphemous

http://www.advocate.com/Arts_and_Ent...a_blasphemous/

Apparently in the world of Katy Perry, Lady Gaga is using blasphemy as a cheap ploy.

Cuz, y'know, the oh-so-talented Katy singing 'I kissed a girl and I liked it' isn't a cheap ploy at all I guess cheap ploys are good for sexuality but not religion??

So, she's either -

1. Jealous
    2. Looking to grab the spotlight for her upcoming single
    3. Combination of the two

vCash
    I think she's just a former Christian artist offended by the video and daring to say as much.

I'm not particularly offended by the religious references for the same reasons as Katy Perry, but because they are the LAZIEST way to be shocking. At this point, why even bother? It's just stupid and overdone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by uyeahu View Post
    I think she's just a former Christian artist offended by the video and daring to say as much.

I'm not particularly offended by the religious references for the same reasons as Katy Perry, but because they are the LAZIEST way to be shocking. At this point, why even bother? It's just stupid and overdone.
    My issue is with her hypocrisy.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw
    The Internets is Lady Gaga's friend. Those of us who lived through the naked hairy armpit Madonna period back in the 80s saw quite a lot of her in the limited outlets that were available, believe me.
    Oh gosh. MTV and HBO were Madonna's best friends in the 80's. Never forget the Blonde Ambition Tour nor the video, Vogue.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Lady Gaga's description of the video- “celebration and an admiration of gay love – it confesses my envy of the courage and bravery that require to be together.”

i can see the whole gays in the military theory that some people are buzzing about. it also looks like to me that she is trying to look unisex when she is humping the gay guys with that hair cut that a guy or girl could wear. i dont know what that could mean but I am really bad at symbolism. I have a feeling that the video has a lot of underlying messages that people like me cannot see LOL. In the beginning of the video, all the guys are very masculine and soldier like but then they change into high heels. I feel like there is more to the video than what we see at face value-I just cannot figure it out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    http://www.advocate.com/Arts_and_Ent...a_blasphemous/

Apparently in the world of Katy Perry, Lady Gaga is using blasphemy as a cheap ploy.

Cuz, y'know, the oh-so-talented Katy singing 'I kissed a girl and I liked it' isn't a cheap ploy at all I guess cheap ploys are good for sexuality but not religion??

So, she's either -

1. Jealous
    2. Looking to grab the spotlight for her upcoming single
    3. Combination of the two
    I agree. They are both overdone. katy perry is jealous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    Lady Gaga's description of the video- “celebration and an admiration of gay love – it confesses my envy of the courage and bravery that require to be together.”

i can see the whole gays in the military theory that some people are buzzing about. it also looks like to me that she is trying to look unisex when she is humping the gay guys with that hair cut that a guy or girl could wear. i dont know what that could mean but I am really bad at symbolism. I have a feeling that the video has a lot of underlying messages that people like me cannot see LOL. In the beginning of the video, all the guys are very masculine and soldier like but then they change into high heels. I feel like there is more to the video than what we see at face value-I just cannot figure it out.
    I think they just threw a lot of highly charged imagery into a video and it's only as complicated as that.

Blergh
    vCash
    I think Lady Gaga is the most BORING person in music right now. Everything about her is so contrived and faux-artistic and pseudo-philosophic when in reality, there's nothing deep or interesting about anything that she does.

She's fallen into this trap where it's a part of her brand to be "outrageous" and "avant-garde" and sadly that's the only time people pay her any attention. When it comes down to it, one has to look at the music and that's where Gaga fails the most, IMO. Yes, she can have a song with a good hook (I don't think her songs are that great but obviously many people out there love dancing to them), but her lyrics are so thin (even for club music) and the productions sound so lazy and cheap that I don't think she'd be getting this much attention if it wasn't for her image.

IMO, in the end she'll just end up as one of those celebrities that will be a "remember them?" artists not unlike Vanilla Ice in one of those lame VH1 "I Love Whatever Decade" bullcrap with unfunny comedians and small-bit actors who want some sort of publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    On another note, she seems even better than Madonna at attracting attention and that helps her immensely.
    Sorry, but I think Madonna in the 1980s and 1990s is still the standard in that regard in the music scene. At least Madonna doesn't seem as much of a franchise.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 06-11-2010 at 06:36 AM.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I think Lady Gaga is the most BORING person in music right now. Everything about her is so contrived and faux-artistic and pseudo-philosophic when in reality, there's nothing deep or interesting about anything that she does.
    Most boring? Are you including performers like Britney Spears, Kesha, and Katy Perry on that list (to name just a few) ?

She's fallen into this trap where it's a part of her brand to be "outrageous" and "avant-garde" and sadly that's the only time people pay her any attention. When it comes down to it, one has to look at the music and that's where Gaga fails the most, IMO. Yes, she can have a song with a good hook (I don't think her songs are that great but obviously many people out there love dancing to them), but her lyrics are so thin (even for club music) and the productions sound so lazy and cheap that I don't think she'd be getting this much attention if it wasn't for her image.
    Lady Gaga is pretty talented on the piano, has a better voice than Britney, Madonna, Katy Perry, etc., and does write her own stuff. I thought Poker Face [equating sex with a card game] and Bad Romance were pretty well written but what do I know.

IMO, in the end she'll just end up as one of those celebrities that will be a "remember them?" artists not unlike Vanilla Ice in one of those lame VH1 "I Love Whatever Decade" bullcrap with unfunny comedians and small-bit actors who want some sort of publicity.
    Well, we'll see but right now I disagree with you

Sorry, but I think Madonna in the 1980s and 1990s is still the standard in that regard in the music scene. At least Madonna doesn't seem as much of a franchise.
    Madonna NOT a franchise? Everything that Madonna did in the 80s pre-fame at least was a calculated move to the top. I remember a 1990 article in Forbes entitled 'Madonna, Inc.'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    Rhythm Nation with a little Vogue and Like a Prayer mixed in for shock value.
    Yeah, I felt like I was watching a cross between "La Isla Bonita" and "Like a Prayer"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqIIW7nxBgc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA983t3Rdzs

Blergh
    vCash
    Most boring? Are you including performers like Britney Spears, Kesha, and Katy Perry on that list (to name just a few) ?
    Yeah, but all of those other artists aren't getting credit for being oh so brilliant and nor do they have the hype nor attention at the moment that Gaga has. As for Britney's case, as much as I dislike her music and know that she's been controlled by her management and producers for most of her career, I don't think she's as one-note as Gaga.

Lady Gaga is pretty talented on the piano, has a better voice than Britney, Madonna, Katy Perry, etc., and does write her own stuff. I thought Poker Face [equating sex with a card game] and Bad Romance were pretty well written but what do I know.
    Yes, Gaga actually does have a good voice...when she wants to utilize it instead of doing that whiney, obnoxious pop voice she does for most of her radio songs. I thought her Paparazzi performance on the MTV VMAs was really excellent vocally, too bad the concept and "choreography" of said performance was utterly crappy.

As for writing her own stuff...how hard is it to write "My poker face" ten thousand times? Alejandro is just a take-off from ABBA's Fernando with less than 2/3s the amount of lyrics. All of her songs have maybe one real stanza, chorus (or at least two lines from the chorus) repeated ad naseum then she adds a bridge to climax the song. Yes, I know most songs do that in the pop world, but for an artist as "in" as Gaga is, I find her songs to be particularly thin.

Madonna NOT a franchise? Everything that Madonna did in the 80s pre-fame at least was a calculated move to the top. I remember a 1990 article in Forbes entitled 'Madonna, Inc.'
    Yes, I know all about Madonna's career. Her longevity is much due to the fact that she is calculating and has had control over her career from almost the beginning. That said, I feel Madonna attempts to have more depth and content to her music and videos, despite what people think of her life choices (Sex Book, Becoming a British lady, English Roses, Kabballah, self-righteousness at times, Malawi mother, etc.). To me, almost all of her singles exist separate from her videos (and has proven they can in terms of sales and her legacy in the music world) and her videos are actually coherent with their concepts and not just desperate rehashes of the same thing over and over again. Basically, IMO, there was some substance behind the style. Gaga's videos all seem like they are nothing but messy images that want to look cool but don't go together and fail to be provocative.

But obviously we don't see eye-to-eye on Gaga and I understand she has a big fan-base (I am friends with a lot of Gaga fans). I just find her, her music, and everything she does to be absolutely boring.

The Key of Awesome's Fernando spoof sums it up for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbkzBT5MJL0
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic
    ;2786462Lady Gaga is pretty talented on the piano,
    What does "pretty talented on the piano" really means? Sure she can pound out a song on the keyboard but so can a lot of people you see on utube, or anyone who has had a couple of years of piano lessons.

vCash
    [QUOTE=VIETgrlTerifa;2786509]
    ...As for Britney's case, as much as I dislike her music and know that she's been controlled by her management and producers for most of her career, I don't think she's as one-note as Gaga....
    Britney not one-note? OK. I leave you to your opinion but I completely disagree with that one.

Yes, Gaga actually does have a good voice...when she wants to utilize it instead of doing that whiney, obnoxious pop voice she does for most of her radio songs. I thought her Paparazzi performance on the MTV VMAs was really excellent vocally, too bad the concept and "choreography" of said performance was utterly crappy.
    Agreed, but I don't think Gaga is all about choreography. She has the piano, a decent voice and other things to fall back on. I personally find choreography in music concerts these days to be much too much. She had said on Larry King that she isn't looking to be a pretty pop princess who 'looks good in a bikini', so maybe she's trying to do something else besides really tight, dancey choreography. That's already been done. Why keep trying to do it?

As for writing her own stuff...how hard is it to write "My poker face" ten thousand times? Alejandro is just a take-off from ABBA's Fernando with less than 2/3s the amount of lyrics. All of her songs have maybe one real stanza, chorus (or at least two lines from the chorus) repeated ad naseum then she adds a bridge to climax the song. Yes, I know most songs do that in the pop world, but for an artist as "in" as Gaga is, I find her songs to be particularly thin.
    Poker Face is more than 'my poker face' repeated, and I used Bad Romance as an example earlier, so she does go one level deeper on occasion, but yes some of the other songs aren't that great. Totally agree there.

Yes, I know all about Madonna's career. Her longevity is much due to the fact that she is calculating and has had control over her career from almost the beginning. That said, I feel Madonna attempts to have more depth and content to her music and videos, despite what people think of her life choices (Sex Book, Becoming a British lady, English Roses, Kabballah, self-righteousness at times, Malawi mother, etc.). To me, almost all of her singles exist separate from her videos (and has proven they can in terms of sales and her legacy in the music world) and her videos are actually coherent with their concepts and not just desperate rehashes of the same thing over and over again. Basically, IMO, there was some substance behind the style. Gaga's videos all seem like they are nothing but messy images that want to look cool but don't go together and fail to be provocative.
    I give Madonna this; very slick, very well-produced, but they don't really add up to that much musical talent (Gaga has a better voice and can actually play musical instruments). Madonna was described by music critics as 'Minnie Mouse on helium' during the 80s (but I personally still am riveted by some of her stuff). Her video 'Open your Heart' didn't have much to do with the song, neither did 'Express Yourself', or the 'Like a Virgin' harem no. in the Blond Ambition Tour, but again I personally found them totally riveting....just as I do Gaga's videos. I told my partner that Gaga is the first pop performer since Madonna that makes me watch her. Britney, Christina and the rest didn't do that.

I also think Gaga is at a disadvantage: There is less to do video-wise. A lot of it has been done. Unlike Madonna, who had more to do because she hit the scene in the early to mid 80s when MTV was in its infancy,

vCash
    Yeah, but all of those other artists aren't getting credit for being oh so brilliant and nor do they have the hype nor attention at the moment that Gaga has. As for Britney's case, as much as I dislike her music and know that she's been controlled by her management and producers for most of her career, I don't think she's as one-note as Gaga
    I love Britney but she is not versatile in any type of way between her voice and what she is capeable of doing as a performer. She cannot sing live and when she does, she probably does not even have a full octive worth of notes that she can sing well. And as far as performace...I am not sure what else she is capeable of doing other than shaking her butt in a skin tight outfit while barely singing. She cannot sit with just a piano and wow with vocals, that is for sure.

Gaga right now is doing the whole shock dance choreography thing right now but if you watch her acoustic stuff, she is very versatile, she can change up her songs to sound like a pop song, or something out of a cabaret, she has a great singing voice. I don't think she has the power of Marhah/Christina?Kelly, but she could definatly be on Broadway.She will be able to easily reinvent herself and that is what makes a successful career.

Here she is during an NYU talent show singing original material in 2005. (She was a student at NYU Tish School of the Arts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM51qOpwcIM

Speechless acoustic (just her and the piano and nothing else)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7HvURBhMGE

Papparazi. Its not really acoustic because she is on a keyboard but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3R3KqrJAI4

vCash
    I agree with Katy Perry... GaGa is cheap to use blasphemous music videos as a way to get attention and promote herself. Some of her fans have to be religious, so she's offended more than just Katy Perry and me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbfan View Post
    I agree with Katy Perry... GaGa is cheap to use blasphemous music videos as a way to get attention and promote herself. Some of her fans have to be religious, so she's offended more than just Katy Perry and me.
    This is an argument that holds no water. Because, Perry is a hypocrite using Lesbianism to cheaply promote herself. That's just as bad.

vCash
    Weird for the sake of weird, blasphemy for the sake of being outrageous.

Perry is just jealous of Gaga's fame and that Gaga has a better singing voice than her overproduced braying.

vCash
    Speechless acoustic (just her and the piano and nothing else)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7HvURBhMGE
    She really does sing well in this clip. I watched the video and had to when she whipped her leg up on the piano...

I don't mind her songs, they're very catchy and stick in my head. I have to admit I'd rather just listen to her than watch her. The OTT weirdness just doesn't do it for me, but I'm sure others love it.

vCash
    (Gaga has a better voice and can actually play musical instruments).
    Haven't you seen Madonna thumbing her guitar in concerts? From what I've seen of Gaga's piano playin, Madonna' guita talent is equals to Gaga's piano talent.

I don't think it bodes well for Gaga that her latest two releases (songs and videos) have been rather lackluster. You can tell a lot of $$$ were put into the Telephone and Alejandro videos but for what purpose? A lot will depend of Gaga's second album. If she can't come up with anything as catchy as Bad Romance or Poker Face then she will be cooked.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast