Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Haven't you seen Madonna thumbing her guitar in concerts? From what I've seen of Gaga's piano playin, Madonna' guita talent is equals to Gaga's piano talent.

I don't think it bodes well for Gaga that her latest two releases (songs and videos) have been rather lackluster. You can tell a lot of $$$ were put into the Telephone and Alejandro videos but for what purpose? A lot will depend of Gaga's second album. If she can't come up with anything as catchy as Bad Romance or Poker Face then she will be cooked.

Watch the vids I posted yesterday...they are not equal to Madonna's two cords on the guitar LOL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    This is an argument that holds no water. Because, Perry is a hypocrite using Lesbianism to cheaply promote herself. That's just as bad.
    No. If you really pay attention to Katy Perry's lesbian song, it's actually mocking girls that pretend to be lesbians to appeal to boys. Katy Perry's "lesbian song" is mindless fun. Not great, but it is a good pop song. And the video is very wink-wink, nudge-nudge camply goodness that video gods forbid actually fits the song. You don't need a dissertation in weird to get it. She's not full of herself, trying to promote deep throating a rosary as some ode to the courage of gays.

I mean, WTF? Because yes, all gay males wear stockings and heels, indulge in light sado-masochistic tendencies, and view organized religion with contempt. I find her stereotyping almost as disdainful as those that say that gays are deviants. If she wants to make a video showcasing the courage of gays, show vintage clips of Stonewall, or pride parades, or heaven forbid, two ordinary men doing ordinary things that ordinary hetero couples do. It won't get her name on a thread title, , but it would have a longer impact and be a real tribute instead of, yeah, I'm saying it's about gays, but really, it's about me.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    Watch the vids I posted yesterday...they are not equal to Madonna's two cords on the guitar LOL.
    Actually, I think Madonna's gotten pretty good on guitar. She's been working on it since her Music album and you can tell it's improved. No, she's not nearly good enough to be considered a rock guitarist, but I'm sure she can play many of her songs on guitar (and she has). However, I do think that Gaga may be a better piano player than Madonna a guitar player. I'm not expert on that sort of thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcJLN3UcCJs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXFGEIR1iD0
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 06-12-2010 at 07:09 PM.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Oh don't get me wrong-i think it is great Madonna decided to learn an instrument. I LOVE Madonna. I just think to compare someone who decided to learn an instrument at age 42 to someone who was classically trained on an instrument since age 4 and was accepted into a first rate college of the arts and say they have the same level of talent is kind of

On the flip side, Gaga is not the greatest dancer but she tries. Madonna had a dance scholarship to University of Michigan. Its kind of the same thing.

Actually Gaga's dancing cracks me up. I went to her concert in Nov and the dancing was BAD. But the way she did her thang you would think it was Britney at the 2000 VMA's LOL. It made me chuckle. She is very cute live.

vCash
    No, I was agreeing with you. I just think Madonna improved from her "two-cord" start out.

I think the reason why I give Gaga such a hard time (other than just not getting the love) is that unlike many others artists out now, I do see real raw (and trained) talent and musicality. I don't want to say she's wasting it (because who am I to say that? Many of Tori Amos' music teachers thought she was wasting her talent on her career choice too as did Kristin Chenoweth's voice teacher from University of Oklahoma who wanted her to pursue Opera instead of musical theater) but her current songs just don't appeal to me while I hear a voice that tells me she's capable of making something that would be absolutely my cup of tea.

OT: While we are on the subject of Madonna's dance scholarship, the funny thing about Madonna, that I perceive, is that all of her music (for almost 3 decades now) have always been dance music. Even her ballads have to have some sort of beat or hook to it which goes along with my theory Madonna is always trying to prove herself as a dancer. She started later than most dancers, so really didn't make it as one when she dropped out of school to go to New York. After failing at many auditions for years, she tried acting (and we all know what a great actress Madonna is when she has to deliver lines ), then playing the drums and guitar...then got into the 80s Disco music she really wanted to make with heavy dancing. It seems like all of this time, she really just wanted to be a dancer despite all of her business savvy and control over her music.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Madonna is so amazing live-I cannot even describe it. I saw the reinvention tour-only Madonna concert I have ever been to. Her stage presence is...I cannot even describe it. While Gaga is vocally superior to Madonna, you could tell onstage she was a new artist. Even Britney had more stage presence lipping on her circuis tour. Gaga has a lot of room for improvement which is good I think. you can only get better as you improve.

I agree dancing has always been the core of Madonna's career. And it should be-its hers strongest point along with being a smart and savvy business woman. Untalented people do not have successful 25 year careers in the music industry. I dont knwo where I am going with this LOL. She is just amazing.

vCash
    I think the verses of the song have the vocal sound of Ace of Base, but the chorus has the style and sound of Agnetha and Anni-Frid [ABBA]
    Ah, a moment to smile over Queen Agnetha and Empress Frida

So, anyway, this Gaga video is all of the above. Derivative of so many before her (and of Pasha's infamous costume!) ... and homage to young gay culture and to all those things it reminds us of. Liked it.

(The song, OTOH, yes, seems like a total copying of AOB, music-wise.)

vCash
    Lady Gaga is a classically trained pianist. She is a very good pianist. She was accepted to Julliard at age 11.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Lady Gaga is a classically trained pianist. She is a very good pianist. She was accepted to Julliard at age 11.
    I think this is a little misleading. She wasn't accepted into Juilliard School of Music at age 11 (I think that would be impossible), just their pre-college program which meets every Saturday. It's obvious though that she's a good pianist, one who knows more than just chords to go along with her songs.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    OT: While we are on the subject of Madonna's dance scholarship, the funny thing about Madonna, that I perceive, is that all of her music (for almost 3 decades now) have always been dance music. Even her ballads have to have some sort of beat or hook to it which goes along with my theory Madonna is always trying to prove herself as a dancer. She started later than most dancers, so really didn't make it as one when she dropped out of school to go to New York. After failing at many auditions for years, she tried acting (and we all know what a great actress Madonna is when she has to deliver lines ), then playing the drums and guitar...then got into the 80s Disco music she really wanted to make with heavy dancing. It seems like all of this time, she really just wanted to be a dancer despite all of her business savvy and control over her music.
    I disagree. Madonna has always wanted to be a STAR. She shifted what she was doing in order to achieve that goal. I think it's very true that she has always emphasized dance because that's where her background was (and I'm sure she enjoys it), but I have never gotten the impression that she was trying to prove herself as a dancer. This isn't a slam to Madonna - her intense ambition and drive are what made her so fascinating and such an enduring star.

I finally watched the GaGa video - liked it, although it certainly is derivative. I like the song too.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Sorry, she just seems like a huge rip-off of a variety of artists to me including, but not limited to: David Bowie, Madonna, Marilyn Manson, Ace of Base, X-Tina, etc.

I watched an interview of hers a few days ago and she said she was not about exploiting sexuality, but seemingly every video of hers has either men or women molesting eachother at some point or another. From the outside it seems like she objectifies homosexuality for her own self promotion or shock value and frankly I find that insulting.

P.S How many lines about cigarettes does she have anyway?
    Last edited by Lainerb; 06-13-2010 at 06:56 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Haven't you seen Madonna thumbing her guitar in concerts? From what I've seen of Gaga's piano playin, Madonna' guita talent is equals to Gaga's piano talent.

I don't think it bodes well for Gaga that her latest two releases (songs and videos) have been rather lackluster. You can tell a lot of $$$ were put into the Telephone and Alejandro videos but for what purpose? A lot will depend of Gaga's second album. If she can't come up with anything as catchy as Bad Romance or Poker Face then she will be cooked.
    Even if I like Lady Gaga, I have to agree with you that she needs to hit a home run with her 2d album.

I always thought that Piano was more difficult to master than the Guitar. I wanted to say that Madonna's voice has improved. I'd read that she took voice lessons for 'Evita' in the mid-90s and the improvement was especially noticed by critics on 'Ray of Light'

Quote Originally Posted by Lainerb View Post
    Sorry, she just seems like a huge rip-off of a variety of artists to me including, but not limited to: David Bowie, Madonna, Marilyn Manson, Ace of Base, X-Tina, etc.

I watched an interview of hers a few days ago and she said she was not about exploiting sexuality, but seemingly every video of hers has either men or women molesting eachother at some point or another. From the outside it seems like she objectifies homosexuality for her own self promotion or shock value and frankly I find that insulting.

P.S How many lines about cigarettes does she have anyway?
    It may be the 'molesting' is not to be taken at face value [sex] rather a symbol of something else [I am at a loss as to what, though]

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    I always thought that Piano was more difficult to master than the Guitar. I wanted to say that Madonna's voice has improved. I'd read that she took voice lessons for 'Evita' in the mid-90s and the improvement was especially noticed by critics on 'Ray of Light'
    I think it is. It doesn't take a lot of practice to sound at least passable on guitar, but if you're a beginner on piano, you tend to bang away at it. (And a beginner on violin = ) Lady Gaga doesn't bang uncontrollably on the piano - it's clear she's had some years of practice on it.

I like Lady Gaga. At least she writes her own songs and can sing her stuff live. Her OTT image, and her steadfast perseverance on extending that image when she's out and about on her own time, is also pretty fascinating.

I think Alejandro is so boring as a song though. I actually really liked Telephone.

vCash
    I love the Alejandro video.

Bondage, rough sex, hot men

Have to give props to the Evita references in the beginning

I don't think Lady Gaga is going to remain the Superstar she currently is. However, what I do think is that she is going to keep her solid, loyal fan base, and have a loyal, strong, successful cult following, but probably not the mass popularity.

I love her music and she has a great voice that doesn't require the engineering she employs.

I haven't read the thread really so forgive me if it's been mentioned already, not only did she get accepted to Julliard, she also spent time studying music at NYU's Tisch School, another rather exclusive arts program. She's got the talent and ability, and she has shown it in live performances and several songs like Speechless and Bad Romance to a certain extent.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234