Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,842
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    They don't really say how old the bones that were found in 1940 are....so there's a chance that even if they were castaways, they still lived long lives(providing there were food sources.............who wants crab legs?)
    Given the fact that the island wasn't populated and the skeletal structure was that of a female of Northern European extraction, I'm thinking that it was her.

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Picking up my Team Olesya t-shirt
    Posts
    1,168
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    They don't really say how old the bones that were found in 1940 are....so there's a chance that even if they were castaways, they still lived long lives(providing there were food sources.............who wants crab legs?)
    If the bones are her's, it means she lived less than three years as a castaway because she disappeared in 1937. Still preferable, I think, to being a Japanese POW.

    I wonder if the navigator died in the initial crash and she was alone on the island. Very sad and scary for her if that's the case.

    Just how big are coconut crabs? That article makes them sound pretty scary.

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    23,860
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    With that reasoning no one would ever explore or push the boundaries of technology.
    There was a PBS special on her several months ago, and one thing they discussed was Earhart's aversion to new technology--especially radar. She never bothered to learn how to use it, and the last wing of her flight was nearly impossible to fly without it. Instead, she brought on a navigator who could use radar. But at her last stop, they had a falling out and he walked out. So instead of waiting or bringing someone else on board who could use radar, she brought on Noonan instead.

    Basically they were flying blind at the end. They had to land on a very small island to refuel, but the island was only about a mile wide. So it was very difficult to see it from the air. They ended up missing it by several miles, and were circling in the sky to try and find it when they ran out of fuel. If Earhart had used radar, she wouldn't have had any problems.

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Where banjos play.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    8,070
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Coconut Crabs are huge. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_crab

    It is a highly apomorphic hermit crab and is known for its ability to crack coconuts with its strong pincers to eat the contents.

    Reports about the size of Birgus latro vary, but most references give a body length of up to 40 cm (16 in)[14], a weight of up to 4.1 kg (9.0 lb), and a leg span of more than 0.91 m (3.0 ft)[15], with males generally being larger than females. There have been reports in the literature of specimens measuring 6 feet (1.8 m) across the thorax and weighing 30 pounds (14 kg).[16][17] They can live more than 30 years

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,842
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    There was a PBS special on her several months ago, and one thing they discussed was Earhart's aversion to new technology--especially radar. She never bothered to learn how to use it, and the last wing of her flight was nearly impossible to fly without it. Instead, she brought on a navigator who could use radar. But at her last stop, they had a falling out and he walked out. So instead of waiting or bringing someone else on board who could use radar, she brought on Noonan instead.

    Basically they were flying blind at the end. They had to land on a very small island to refuel, but the island was only about a mile wide. So it was very difficult to see it from the air. They ended up missing it by several miles, and were circling in the sky to try and find it when they ran out of fuel. If Earhart had used radar, she wouldn't have had any problems.
    It sounds as if she was a little hard-headed and stubborn. I recall reading an article about her that described her as "shy but arrogant". But she is in our history books, and deservedly so.

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Picking up my Team Olesya t-shirt
    Posts
    1,168
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    Scary!! They sound like the cockroaches of the Pacific!

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,842
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    Scary!! They sound like the cockroaches of the Pacific!
    Anthony Bourdain loved them when he at them on his Tahiti trip.

    But then, he did eat warthog rectum.

  8. #28
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,564
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    76283
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    More speculation. She should of stayed home...
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    A lot of good it did her...
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    Yes mammy, you are so right. Thanks for posting!
    Living Saint...is that you...?

    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,173
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Like the Black Dahlia case, I just don't think there will ever be closure in Amelia Earhart's disappearance. I think most likely, her plane crashed into the water.

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,146
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Anyone else noticing the parallels between Amelia and Abby Sunderland? Both on quests to go around the world to set some kind of a record or prove some kind of a point. Thankfully Abby's story has a happier ending.

    I think it's part of our nature to want to push boundaries and be "the best" or "the first" or "the youngest" to do something. We're all fascinated with it. Otherwise there wouldn't be a market for the Guiness Book of World Records or an Olympic movement.

    Stupid? Yeah, sometimes. A lot of what thrill seekers, record seekers and even athletes do defies any kind of logic or common sense.

  11. #31

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    4,731
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    14921
    Back in the 70s & 80s there was a Irish/Folk group called 'The Morgans' that played in the Hartford, CT area. They did lots of Irish songs and some seafaring songs (What do you do with a Drunken Sailor). The first song of every set was one I think they wrote. Not sure of the name, but everyone spent time in the first half and the break making paper airplanes with some old Irish newspapers.

    Lyrics were.... Miss Amelia Earhart, first lady of the sky, she may not have an airplane, but she sure knows how to fly....... (while paper airplanes are flying in the bar)

    Great memories going to a bar every Sunday evening hearing them play.

  12. #32

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,842
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    More hemming and hawing over these old bones...

    Apparently the bones found by UK searchers back in 1940 belonged to a stocky male of European or person of mixed descent.

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,332
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    To me Amelia Earhart's was abducted by aliens and put to sleep and will be found in the 24th century by USS Voyager and be part of the 'New Earth' 70 thousands light years away.

  14. #34

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,719
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34207
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    To me Amelia Earhart's was abducted by aliens and put to sleep and will be found in the 24th century by USS Voyager and be part of the 'New Earth' 70 thousands light years away.
    Lucky her!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  15. #35

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    Posts
    1,708
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5211
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    More hemming and hawing over these old bones...

    Apparently the bones found by UK searchers back in 1940 belonged to a stocky male of European or person of mixed descent.
    Maybe not, though:
    Two other forensic specialists reviewed the doctor's bone measurements and agreed they were more "consistent with" a female of northern European descent, about Earhart's age and height.
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

  16. #36

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,842
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto Guzzi View Post
    Maybe not, though:
    Well, SOMEBODY has to be right. I hope it is her so her antecedents, if she has any, can have that closure. Bless her heart if she had to die on that island alone, sick and hungry.

  17. #37
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,355
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11617
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    If the bones are her's, it means she lived less than three years as a castaway because she disappeared in 1937.
    She disappeared in July 1937, and the island was surveyed and colonized by the British beginning in December 1938; therefore, one might assume that if she lived, it was for less than 18 months.

  18. #38

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,842
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    Wait - how long does it take a dead body to decay until the bones are exposed, factoring in high tropical humidity?

  19. #39
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,355
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11617
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Wait - how long does it take a dead body to decay until the bones are exposed, factoring in high tropical humidity?
    From what I was just reading, the island was also overrun with rats so that may factor in as well.

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,262
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Wait - how long does it take a dead body to decay until the bones are exposed, factoring in high tropical humidity?
    I think the coconut crabs would take care of this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •