Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ...an acquired taste
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    stay away from Waikiki, unless you want to look like "stupid tourist" (as the locals love to call them...)
    I don't know about this. I lived on Oahu for 6 years, 3 of them in Waikiki and 3 of them in Aiea. I absolutely loved Waikiki and will probably retire there. If that makes me a "stupid tourist" (and I never heard anyone refer to it this way), then so be it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    I don't know about this. I lived on Oahu for 6 years, 3 of them in Waikiki and 3 of them in Aiea. I absolutely loved Waikiki and will probably retire there. If that makes me a "stupid tourist" (and I never heard anyone refer to it this way), then so be it.
    When I lived in Hawaii (amongst mostly younger blue collar workers,) I could retire there now if I had a dollar for everytime I heard visitors and/or people from the mainland referred to as stupid tourists. I always thought it was unfair to hear people say that because tourism has helped Hawaii in so many ways, but that's just how it was, believe it or not. Do you really think that anybody there would say it to your face? Heck no. They will wait until you spend your money and then laugh at you/make fun of you behind your back. It happens.

Besides, you lived there long enough to at least be consdered a "semi-local." There's a huge difference between that, and being a tourst there on vacation...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Waikiki is definitely an experience, it's pretty much the only place in the entire islands that has some semblance of a nightlife (but still nowhere near those of major mainland cities). That and the nearby Ala Moana/Ward centers are pretty much the entertainment center of the island.

There definitely is a part of the populace that holds contempt for tourists, but they're too stupid to recognize that the monarchy and plantation days are over and that Hawai'i really has no resource at the moment that can supplant the level of income that tourism brings in. Same goes for the military bases. They may represent prostitution of the local culture and natural resources, but money talks.

Politics aside:

O'ahu
    North Shore: Really country, great surf, but getting increasingly touristy minus the urbanization. Still worth a look.

West/Leeward (Ko'olina, Kapolei): Dry area, but REALLY sunny. The only water park on the island is there, and Paradise Cove has the best lu'au feast (and the hottest dancers).

East/Windward (Kailua, Kaneohe): Extremely lush and verdant, beautiful dramatic mountains, but also very rainy. Kualoa Ranch is where a lot of movies and Lost are filmed.

Kahala: Luxury homes, rentals, and resorts. A nice way to stay near town but far from the touristy aspects.

Neighbor Isles
    My favorite neighbor island is Kaua'i. There's greenery everywhere on that island. The resorts are amazingly large and sprawling, and IMO it's the best place to relax. There are only 2 nightclubs on the whole island, but the great thing is that the locals are extremely friendly and will ask anybody to dance without hesitation.

Maui is nice, and the west side of that island is great for seeing pods of dolphins and whales. Haleakala crater is amazing too, hiking there is like being on another planet.

The Big Island is my least favorite. The volcanoes are amazing, but after that, once you've seen one lava flat, you've seen 'em all.

Source: born, raised, and living on O'ahu for almost 30 years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12