Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 81
  1. #61
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,921
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Mk has a huge advantage over others in her situation because of her celebrity.

  2. #62

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    Posts
    7,787
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19516
    I was looking at it as going from amateur sports to college and professional school for career training, not 2nd career training, although that is a legitimate argument since she was trained to perform and earning money from performing.

    ... This makes her sound like a child actress.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 06-09-2010 at 08:22 PM.

  3. #63

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    10,726
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34438
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    I was looking at it as going from amateur sports to college and professional school for career training, not 2nd career training, although that is a legitimate argument since she was trained to perform and earning money from performing.

    ... This makes her sound like a child actress.
    Well, at least one child actress went on to hold diplomatic positions (Shirley Temple Black served as ambassador to Ghana and later to Czechoslovakia). I think that Michelle's graduate study at Tufts will give her much more of a solid background for a diplomatic career than Ms. Black had (who did a very credible job, by most accounts).

  4. #64
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    672
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    where oh where are you people getting this so-called information--
    here from right spot.
    why dont' you state how much tara got for soi, her shows, kristi gets for her shows, and speaking fees, brian, scott, alexei, irina, sarah-
    if you people are going to spill out numbers, rumors, innuedo, for michelle might as well go the whole gamit and state how much tara, sarah, sasha, , johnny, mirai, rachel, evan, krist, kurt, brian boitano, scott, dick, peggy, shizuka, ilia, irina, mao, miki gets for every speaking fee, acting gig, commentatory, appearance , show, how much got for acting in shows, showing up shows ,promoting shows, going to charties, etc.
    i am sure if you know michelle's amount you know rachels, ashley evan, and the above named amounts. so spill it. i am curious how much they are getting if they claim the they don't have the money and can't get the MONEY THEY want. so tell me how much are they getting paid .

    by the way --what about tara career in acting, what about her abilities,
    or is it because they both are asian they you are so interested or just spite them because of the money --you think they are getting.
    when it comes to money and what you are stating name the sources that state how much they get and i want the amount what usfsa paid, tara, sasha, todd, michael all the skaters, including past like nancy, kristi, scott,

    because it just sounds like jeaously and spite about what michelle and yu-na gets. how much does mao, mike ando etc.
    give me numbers for all not just those two.

  5. #65

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    7,157
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    44806
    ...oh, dear.

  6. #66
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    38,161
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    46687
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    I was looking at it as going from amateur sports to college and professional school for career training, not 2nd career training
    Heh. When I was in grad school, I knew a lot of 30 year olds who were training for their first careers.

    When the economy is bad, college enrollment goes way up, and most of that is driven by nontraditional students. More than a third of all undergraduates in the US are over 25. If she's behind, she's got a whole lot of company.

    Quote Originally Posted by query5 View Post
    give me numbers for all not just those two.
    Since it would be completely irrelevant to the subject at hand, no, don't do that.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

  7. #67

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    10,726
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34438
    Quote Originally Posted by query5 View Post
    where oh where are you people getting this so-called information--here from right spot. ...

    <snip lots of really stuff about skaters, soi, $$>

    ... because it just sounds like jeaously and spite about what michelle and yu-na gets. how much does mao, mike ando etc. give me numbers for all not just those two.
    Where oh where oh where did this desire to know skaters' fees come from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Since it would be completely irrelevant to the subject at hand, no, don't do that.
    Yes, it certainly would be.

  8. #68
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,473
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Query5, I would work on punctuation and drafting your posts before you post them because they aren't making any sense whatsoever.

  9. #69
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    625
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    would money really make a difference though? I can't imagine that she is hurting for money...
    I imagine she hasn't had an offer in the U.S. that meets her quote, and that her quote is being met in Korea. It's business, and since she is so incredibly busy, has to consider her best options. Of course money makes a difference. You never take less than your worth if someone is willing to pay you what you're accustomed to receiving, no matter your wealth.

    Sure her fans in the US (they are many and loyal) want to see her skate again and some feel she owes it to them. I think she's growing up and moving on, and as much as I would love to see her skate in the US again, I understand her decision, and applaud her for being able to move on in her life. Skating isn't the end all, be all, and she gave 100% for so long.

  10. #70
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    685
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I was wondering if Michelle received offers from Japanese shows this time around?

  11. #71
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    672
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    thanks about punctation-but i don't have time to really proofread on internet what i write,

    i just want you people to understand if you are going to complain about her money and how much. i would like to know how much all the other skaters are getting past which includes, kristi, scott, tara, sarah, sasha, jaime, david,
    peggy, dick, kirk, brian boitano , torvill and dean, shizuka, irina, evgeny, alexei
    as well as current like johnny, evan, rachel alissa, mirai, mao gets for each of their endeavors whether they be speaking fees, acting deals, stars on ice tour,charity events, reality shows, movies, voice overs, promotion tours, meet and greet events, appearance fees and kind of activity where they show up outside of competition.
    if you people also claim to be in the know of how much michelle and or yu-na gets for appearances (not what is printed in newspapers) then you should tell me. how much specificially the numbers (how much money they get) if it is heresay than it shouldn't be stated.
    if you are upset about wanting me not to know how much they get in dollars and sense then you shouldn't state , well i have it on good authority (we all know who gets 50,000 for showing up on a show.
    if they have it on good authority for that person , then that person should have it on good authority for the rest and be able to name her sources.

    i didn't see how much the others skaters i named got , so apparently it wasn't good authority or just heresay (rumor) on that posters part.
    for me don't go whipping around numbers of 1 or 2 skaters unless you are willing and able to tell me how much the other skaters get.
    and by the way 2nd careers does include speaking fees, skating tours, acting gigs,promotional offers.

    so i want to know how much the above named got paid.
    you know how much michelle and yu-na gets paid, so tell me how much the others get paid.

  12. #72
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    38,161
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    46687
    Quote Originally Posted by query5 View Post
    so i want to know how much the above named got paid.
    Again, this is not relevant to the discussion, so you can stop asking, because even if someone were foolish enough to answer you, this information will contribute nothing to the discussion except filler.

    Got it?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

  13. #73

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    10,726
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34438
    I never read anything in this thread in which anyone was "complaining about how much money" Michelle, YuNa, or any other skater made for their skating or other appearances. Someone asked the question of how much skaters were paid for appearing in shows in Korea and someone else said that they had heard a rumor of $50,000 for one skater. That is all. Not many (if any) beside you seem to care that much about what the skaters are paid. Cannot understand why you are so obsessed/upset about this -- it's really all rather incomprehensible to me.

  14. #74
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw Common Room
    Posts
    2,002
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by query5 View Post
    thanks about punctation-but i don't have time to really proofread on internet what i write,


    If you don't have time to proofread, you really don't need to write. Your thoughts are not that precious that we must read them stream-of-consciousness.

  15. #75
    KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    vimeo.com/98880255
    Posts
    13,388
    vCash
    933000
    Rep Power
    89086
    Quote Originally Posted by centerstage01 View Post


    If you don't have time to proofread, you really don't need to write. Your thoughts are not that precious that we must read them stream-of-consciousness.
    This.

    Quote Originally Posted by query5 View Post
    thanks about punctation-but i don't have time to really proofread on internet what i write,
    Thankfully, not much people have time to read what you write (or attempt to write).

  16. #76
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    201
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Comments on a couple of things in this thread:

    - Yes, Fletcher has summer courses. I did not go to Fletcher, but I did attend grad school for a similar program at an equally ranked place and know many a Fletcher graduate. I don't know if Kwan is taking summer courses, but they do exist. If you don't take summer courses, most grad students in this field do internships, if they are not employed full-time in the field already. Of course, this internship possibility probably does not pertain to Kwan because she's getting more experience than most with her DoS gig.

    - Your first five years as a career foreign service officer are not spent in Washington. You usually have tours overseas, mostly doing consular duties at first. No, I am not a diplomat, but I know many a diplomat and was contemplating pursuing this. Political appointee positions are another game entirely.

    - In grad school-level IR programs, it is very common to have a range of ages. I entered a similar program to the one Kwan is doing and at 22/23, I was very, very young in comparison to my classmates, though there were a few that entered right out of college like I did. That was less than 10 years ago.

    - No Kwan is definitely not "behind."

  17. #77
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    672
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    umbs go blue

    now that you got that off your chest as well as the other person,
    i hope you feel better about it.

    like i keep stating it is opinions,
    we don't always agree but they are only opinions. Yet for some reason you fans want to tear apart skaters you don't like or want in the sport to make your skaters look better and sound better, so when some of us want to defend or point out their mistakes or they make money , or we should know about that money amount ; you get mad and keep pointing out how much that skater is making.

    i thank you for your opinions, i don't give it much thought what you say either; after all it is your opinion.
    when you people start listing money amounts, rumors, innuendo regarding skaters , i don't care who skater it is , they need to be defended because you have cross the line.
    yes, protect , defent and pump up your favorite skater; but not at the expense of tearing down the other skater.
    when it comes to skating like if the make a mistake and/or you notice a ur, wrong edge , yes point it out , but don't say my skater doesn't do it. They are human they do it. acknowlegdge that maybe once in awhile your skater makes mistakes, they don't skate for it, etc.
    acknowledge your skater is human.
    i see most of you like your skaters and will defend them, which is great .
    but some of you go to far and don't want to say anything nice about another skater. I do that sometimes. I usually have to defend skaters because too much is being said what is wrong about one and not enough is being said what the other skaters do wrong.
    if you got mad about my money bit, i don't care. the older skaters had to wait until skating competitive careers was over before got any money.
    these skaters all i hear is we don't get enough money, so what , you get more than most people make in a year so quit complaining.
    if they don't get the money, than they should be more than willing to tell how much money they get and how much money they think they should make and get.
    yes gp money is less than what is was, so what you still get some.
    skaters want more money than sell yourself and sport to the public, make us want to buy your products, your tickets, go see you . Because so far I have been seeing is see me and you owe me that regardless of how I skate or act.
    I am entitled,

  18. #78
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,404
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    New Drinking game...each time someone says opinions we take a shot. That might make the posts easier to read and understand.

  19. #79

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    7,157
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    44806
    ^^^I can't play the game...I'd get so bombed that I would break a hip or something.

  20. #80
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    186
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    That is a pretty good chuck of change considering that her past earnings were probably invested, so she would probably not want to draw from them while the market is significantly lower than when invested.
    Are you Michelle's financial advisor/accountant?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •