Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

vCash
    I think logistics play a major role in Kwan's decision-making process. She has been in school all skating season and this year (until recently). Kwan had an Olympic Commentary gig. Kwan has State Dept. commitments. She is involved in other activities, charities, organizations, etc. She is busy! Like others have said, I think the timing of Yu Na's shows has been favorable for Kwan -- during school downtime. And, while the location is less than perfect coming from the U.S., the circumstances are very favorable, including good production with $ and backing (not a cheesy show), presumably good money, high visibility, and opportunity for Kwan to continue to build her friendship with Yu Na and participate in an activity/sport that she has trained for and loved nearly her entire life. And Kwan can do all that without having the responsibility of putting on the show herself, as others have said. Seems like a win-win situation for her. If a similar situation was available to her in the U.S., I thinks she would similarly take advantage of it.

O-

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RunnersHigh View Post
    Never heard about it officially.

But, rumor had it that a female skater(I know who she is though ) was paid more than $50,000 at FOI 2009.
    And the higher at IAS 2009 because sponsors are flocking to Yu-Na show.

Again! it's a rumor without foundation.
    That is a pretty good chuck of change considering that her past earnings were probably invested, so she would probably not want to draw from them while the market is significantly lower than when invested.

vCash
    I have no idea why Kwan is not doing shows in the US but I think Kwan is indeed interested in having her own show in the US. It was reported in Korea a while ago that Kwan's agency actually contacted Yu-Na Kim's new agency about doing an ice show tour together in the US. With Yu-Na deciding not to retire, I guess an extended tour in the US is unlikely this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedwitch View Post
    Why hasn't she taken any?

She doesn't want to?
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

Banned Member
    vCash
    'cause she can't make any money here! Pay attention to attendance at ice shows lately?
    Without fear you cannot find courage

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Michelle's return to the US will be at the 2014 Nationals

vCash
    Call it Stage 2 of her life. She knows it would be embarassing to compete aginst newbies like YuNa, so why try?

PS-OT I know, but it's good to see that SOI has picked up Rachael in it's shows.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle k
    I have no idea why Kwan is not doing shows in the US but I think Kwan is indeed interested in having her own show in the US. It was reported in Korea a while ago that Kwan's agency actually contacted Yu-Na Kim's new agency about doing an ice show tour together in the US. With Yu-Na deciding not to retire, I guess an extended tour in the US is unlikely this year.
    Thanks for posting. What you stated is consistent. I'm also looking forward to Yu-Na's next show.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jot the Dot Dot View Post
    Call it Stage 2 of her life. She knows it would be embarassing to compete aginst newbies like YuNa, so why try?

So she won't skate here because she's embarrassed to compete against YuNa (even though I don't think anyone is talking about competition, just performance), but she's not embarrassed to go skate in Korea?
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I had heard unofficially earlier this year that Yu-Na's and Michelle's people were interested in the possibility of joining forces for some shows (not an extended tour) in the U.S. after the Olympics, but I guess those plans didn't come to fruition for whatever reason(s). Perhaps in the future?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle K View Post
    ...I think Kwan is indeed interested in having her own show in the US. It was reported in Korea a while ago that Kwan's agency actually contacted Yu-Na Kim's new agency about doing an ice show tour together in the US. With Yu-Na deciding not to retire, I guess an extended tour in the US is unlikely this year.
    First time I'm hearing about this. Interesting indeed...I wonder if such plans will turn into anything concrete, and whether such shows would be televised or not.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Right before Christmas of last year, Michelle did say that she was looking forward to performing in front of the U.S. audience again soon. So with Yu-Na not retiring, it may be more unlikely that there will be an extended tour in the US. That is for now.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    She's at the Fletcher School of Tufts, isn't she?

Average Age: 27;
    Age Range: 21-57

Sounds like she fits right in to me. With her State Department experience, she might even be ahead of the game.

The average age of college graduates earning bachelor's degrees is 25, while graduate schools have seen a sharp increase in new students 40 and older in the last decade. If Michelle is behind, she can't be too far back.
    Assuming her goal is to become an official diplomat, Michelle might be seen as being somewhat behind :
    after passing a competitive series of tests, she will be accepted as a probationary foreign attaché. This probationary period lasts for five years, and it is spent in Washington, with the possibility of some time abroad. During this time she will undergo training, including language training if her second language skills need help. After five years, she will be evaluated in order to become an official diplomat. So she would be 35+ before her official career started in this field.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Assuming her goal is to become an official diplomat, Michelle might be seen as being somewhat behind :
    after passing a competitive series of tests, she will be accepted as a probationary foreign attaché. This probationary period lasts for five years, and it is spent in Washington, with the possibility of some time abroad. During this time she will undergo training, including language training if her second language skills need help. After five years, she will be evaluated in order to become an official diplomat. So she would be 35+ before her official career started in this field.
    Kwan has already acted in an official capacity on behalf of the State Department for the U.S. as Public Diplomacy Envoy since, what, 2007 (?), and continues to do so. I would say she's already started her official career, though not as a diplomat per se.

O-

vCash
    Well, that is one route to working in the diplomatic field, but not necessarily the only one.

vCash
    During this time she will undergo training, including language training if her second language skills need help .
    As I understand it, she is already fluent in Chinese, an in-demand skill for diplomacy and other government jobs.

And don't forget that name recognition changes your options. Most students in her field don't already have a high profile position with the State Department.

I'm just starting my graduate degree right now. If Michelle is "behind" then my life is officially hopeless.

vCash
    . So she would be 35+ before her official career started in this field.
    Errrr...so? Oh the horrors of training for a job beyond the age of 30! How will society cope! That Kwan, still making problems.

The average adult entering the work forc now will have roughly 4-5 careers in his working life, and between 16-18 jobs within those careers. So, she won't be the only one at the ripe old age of 35 starting a new career. If anything, Kwan's behind. This would only be another facet of her second career with the state department. What she really needs to do is drop out and go to cooking school. Or clown school. Maybe a clown-cooking school.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    This board sure has issues with age

vCash
    Once again, another thread about MK is being used to question her accomplishments, or her choices.
    How many of you have accomplished as much in your life, at not quite thirty?

Whatever course her Diplomatic career takes, she won't have been "behind" anyone.
    I'm looking forward to seeing her skate again, as well.
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 06-09-2010 at 06:48 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Once again, another thread about MK is being used to question her accomplishments, or her choices.
    How many of you have accomplished as much in your life, at not quite thirty?

Whatever course her Diplomatic career takes, she won't have been "behind" anyone.
    I'm looking forward to seeing her skate again, as well.
    Seriously. How many people in the diplomatic field have multiple Olympic medals and fans around the world? Anything Michelle does in her next career is icing on the cake, and there is no rush.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast