Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Also, keep in mind that she is "behind" to a certain extent; she is a 30 year old doing the activities typical of a 24 year old. While her progress has been spectacular, she still has quite a few more things to accomplish before she no longer has to prove herself in that arena.
    She's at the Fletcher School of Tufts, isn't she?

Average Age: 27;
    Age Range: 21-57

Sounds like she fits right in to me. With her State Department experience, she might even be ahead of the game.

The average age of college graduates earning bachelor's degrees is 25, while graduate schools have seen a sharp increase in new students 40 and older in the last decade. If Michelle is behind, she can't be too far back.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    When she was competiting, many people complained that she always wanted to skate in the US, not much outside.
    Now, it's the contrary. Fans are never happy

vCash
    Does anybody know how much approx. money the skaters get from skating in Korean shows?

vCash
    Getting a masters at Michelles age is totally normal... It's not a race.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post

And wasn't it always rumored that she hated to fly?
    Pre-hip surgery, yes. And she was hardly alone. Lots of athletes with nagging injuries dislike long plane flights. But that's not a factor any more for her.

Frankly, I don't care what her motivation is for doing the show in Korea. Maybe the scheduling works out well with school. Maybe it's the money. Maybe it's to cultivate some international connections as part of her later career. Maybe it's to take the opportunity to visit some family in China while she's in that part of hte world. Or maybe she just felt like it.

I doubt she has any master strategy in mind when it comes to skating opportunities. She's in a different stage of her life now. I believe she will skate in the U.S. post-graduation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceIceBaby View Post
    Does anybody know how much approx. money the skaters get from skating in Korean shows?
    Never heard about it officially.

But, rumor had it that a female skater(I know who she is though ) was paid more than $50,000 at FOI 2009.
    And the higher at IAS 2009 because sponsors are flocking to Yu-Na show.

Again! it's a rumor without foundation.

vCash
    It occurred to me that Michelle might feel more comfortable doing a show where someone else is the "big star" who is expected to sell the tickets, attract advertisers, etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Also, keep in mind that she is "behind" to a certain extent; she is a 30 year old doing the activities typical of a 24 year old. While her progress has been spectacular, she still has quite a few more things to accomplish before she no longer has to prove herself in that arena.
    I don't know what Grad school you went to. When I was in grad school, most of my 'classmates' were older (mid 20s to early 30s, some of them were 40s and up) with working experience.

vCash
    I imagine that for her to skate in the U.S., Michelle would have to set up her own special exhibition or TV special, etc., which would take a lot of time and work and she is probably just too busy for that right now.

I can't really see her just stepping in SOI for a performance or two, either. She is too big of a star and everyone would freak about it. Wasn't there a show recently in Boston, and someone said Michelle had been invited but turned it down, in part because it would have taken the focus off the other skaters? I mean, it really would. It would turn into the Michelle Kwan show, and for that to happen she'd really be better off with her own show for real, imo.

I do think that being invited by Yuna is also a factor...Michelle is therefore a huge star in the show, but not *the* star or the hometown star. Might seem more manageable to her, especially after being gone for so long. And yes, frankly, I'm sure the money plays a big role in it.

She is also a perfectionist, and she's busy with school, so I'm sure it's not a possibility for her to just hop around in whatever shows she's invited to in the U.S. It sounds like she has been training specifically for this Korea show. With her tight schedule and desire to skate her best, maybe this is her "one and done" for the year. Though I hope I'm wrong.

I'd love for her to pull something together and have her own show in the U.S. in the near future. But we will see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    It occurred to me that Michelle might feel more comfortable doing a show where someone else is the "big star" who is expected to sell the tickets, attract advertisers, etc.
    Yes. This way she doesn't have to be the "face" of the show, make nice to the sponsors, do the promotion, etc. She can show up and skate without all of the other commitments ahead of time.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    I agree that one of the big "draws" to Korea may be the fact that she's not the "star"!

I don't know that she could ever not be the "Star" here. No one ever stepped up to take her place in Ladies Figure Skating

vCash
    easy--people

same as last year and in 2006 --not IMG stablem, majority of shows are IMG related unless they want to have her and work around her schedule they aren't going to go out of their way to get her. THey (img) have too many skaters in their own stable to worry about regards to get skating, money and tour to get michelle,
    IMG_wants only IMG skaters in their US shows and tours.!!!!
    most of numbers and tours are with IMG__how many times do we have to tell you-michelle isn't with IMG_therefore-she isn't asked.

now part of it is school, but majority of shows in u.s. are IMG related,
    yu-na is independent show, last year and now this year.
    michelle is with goldberg-not img,

IMG and US. doesn't allow anyother skater who isnt in IMG STABLe to skate with other skaters in their own sanctions shows, unless competition or ratififed by us.
    champions on ice wasn't img related, therefore she skated,

vCash
    Jeremy Abbott and Rachael Flatt are not managed by IMG and they are on SOI.

Michelle has better things to do, like school. She probably makes way more money skating in Yuna's shows anyway.

vCash
    Probably I misremembered, but didn't Michelle also visited some schools, charity or something when in Korea as part of the State Dept work? Timing was right?

Maybe an old press clipping might be able to disprove my mistake.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by citrus View Post
    Probably I misremembered, but didn't Michelle also visited some schools, charity or something when in Korea as part of the State Dept work? Timing was right?

She did and there's a thread related.

And guys, MK's fame in Korea is beyond your expectation. She is a huge "star" for figure fans.

vCash

Smile

We loves ya, Kween!

Please skate in the U.S. someday.

vCash
    not enough money here

vCash
    would money really make a difference though? I can't imagine that she is hurting for money...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by citrus View Post

IIRC, she made two separate trips to Korea -- one for the State Dept. where she visited schools, etc. but didn't do shows and one for Yu-Na's show, where she didn't visit any schools or charities.

vCash
    i really wish she skates in europe as well, I ve never seen her live and I want to see her once

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast