Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Why won't Kwan skate in the US?

I'd love to see her live again. She must be getting some offers. Why hasn't she taken any?

vCash
    I doubt that there are many offers that don't conflict with Michelle's academic schedule or public responsibilities.
    The available options aren't what they once were.

She has said that she plans to skate in the US again.

vCash
    I expect the payout for Korea is much higher then anything here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    You got it.

Skating shows/tours just aren't that profitable in the U.S.

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Because she hates America. I heard she is abandoning her citizenship and skating for Russia in 2014.

vCash
    Oh! Her and Johnny. My two faves! lol

vCash
    Money Money Money

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    But surely there's a charity show or something similar that she could do. I mean, I'm cynical, but even I don't think it's purely a $$ issue. She's not a heartless, cash craving capitalist.

I imagine it's a mental/emotional thing. Maybe skating in the US as a skater who is not truly ever going for a worlds or olympic team ever again would have emotional significance for her that skating in Korea does not.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    She's not a heartless, cash craving capitalist.
    And you know that how?

Kwan is actually a turrorist and she is planning to betray her country by representing North Korea in Sochi.

vCash
    Perhaps because all the skating shows in the US would mean long term committment, like SOI whereas in Korea, the shows just go on for 3 days?

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Isn't she in a pretty tough grad-school program? Work and schedule for that is probably going to take priority over everything else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Isn't she in a pretty tough grad-school program? Work and schedule for that is probably going to take priority over everything else.
    Well, if she can find time to FLY TO KOREA and skate, that excuse doesn't work.

And wasn't it always rumored that she hated to fly?

I think the US is ripe for a Festa style 3 day show in Vegas, don't you?
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith11 View Post
    Perhaps because all the skating shows in the US would mean long term committment, like SOI whereas in Korea, the shows just go on for 3 days?
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    She possibly could skate in one of the Disson shows since each one is a one night deal. It would be nice to see her skate again.

vCash
    Since school won't let her do long term commitments, such as an SOI tour, that leaves the Disson shows -- most of which have not yet announced their full schedules yet. So, I wouldn't assume quite yet that she won't skate in the US.

vCash
    I don't think Michelle needs any "excuses." She can skate when she wants and focus on other things when she wants. It seems to be working out well for her.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Last year's show and this one were in the summer. Do you know if Fletcher has summer term courses and if she's enrolled in them?

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    It does if that week she doesn't have anything like an exam or, if she's still doing them, a state department commitment, and she feels like doing a show and that one worked out.

Yeah, it'd be NICE to maybe see her skate, if she felt like it, but it's not like it's the center of her life any more. There's nothing to compete in that matters if she can't do the eligible side any more, she was always more about competition than exhibition, maybe she just wants to focus on the rest of her life.

is silently judging you
    vCash
    I'd like to see her put together her own show for a night or two in the US but again, that actually requires time and effort. I'm not sure if she can put either of those in right now if she's focusing on school, too. She'd probably want to take time off during the summer if she's not in school. Even The Kween needs to chill out every now and then and I don't know if she'd want to spend her time off getting into what she considers to be prime skating shape.

Maybe she'll put a bit more effort into something like that after she graduates?
    The audience I am trying to reach are champion figure skaters. I think they need me the most. -- Morrissey

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    If Michelle wants a career in international affairs, then she must build a resume that is in that field. She can not back off, especially while she has resources in that field at school, and just do skating shows or she will become just that, a show skater. You should just accept that the era of Michelle Kwan being on TV every other weekend is over. Also, keep in mind that she is "behind" to a certain extent; she is a 30 year old doing the activities typical of a 24 year old. While her progress has been spectacular, she still has quite a few more things to accomplish before she no longer has to prove herself in that arena.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 06-07-2010 at 04:18 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I don't think Michelle needs any "excuses." She can skate when she wants and focus on other things when she wants. It seems to be working out well for her.
    My thoughts exactly.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast