Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    “It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Even at her own Nationals where it was later revealed that NBC basically made the USFSA almost promise Cohen went to Vancouver barring something drastic, the U.S judges still placed her behind Nagasu without a triple-triple in the SP for that skate.
    Wait, what?! Tell me more about this...

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    I know Sasha said she needed income from shows, but she really should've skipped that acting class held in a Harvard building, and come back a year earlier. She would've done well performing for the Worlds crowds in her native LA - and we all know how she loves the crowds. The fact that she didn't choose to perform there was very surprising. It at least would have given her the confidence to withstand a season leading up to the trials. I think that everyone, but Sasha, knew that the comeback as it unfolded would turn out to be a disaster. I don't know what human body (other than Evgeny) can withstand resuming brutal training in such a short period of time. Sasha had a chance for gold but it didn't happen. She should take her silver gift and move on - there's no room in the sport for people who don't take it seriously. Now imagine this - Sasha wins bronze over Joannie? How heartbreaking would that have been (for Joannie)? Everything happens for a reason (Even though I still am bitter about B&A getting bumped because of straps.)

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Wait, what?! Tell me more about this...
    All I recall is Cohen's name along with Flatt's was included in all the media write-up leading into the Games in the American media, as if both had already been named to the US Olympic team when neither were a guarantee like Kim, Asada, Rochette, or Ando were. I remember reading on the Olympic tv schedule something along the lines of "Sasha Cohen leads the American women as the ladies competition begins with the SP in Vancouver. Rachael Flatt will also skate." (Very rough quote) This was like 1 week before Nationals. The American press really would have been wiping egg off their faces if the team turned out to be Nagasu and Wagner. I have never seen an unproven competitor be promoted the way Sasha Cohen was this season. No competition appearances in 46 months (span between 2006 Worlds and 2010 Nationals) and yet she received more promotion than any of the other American ladies who've worked their asses off the entire Olympic quad.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 06-07-2010 at 09:59 PM.

vCash
    You're assuming that the general public would have remembered for longer than five minutes which skaters the media had promoted beforehand.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Looking at the protocals again I am not sure how anyone thinks Sasha would have even beaten Rochette in the Olympic SP. Rochette gained 4.2 points in GOE on her 3 jumping passes. Her triple flip had the highest score of anyone including Yu Na's. Her double axel tied Yu Na's. Sasha would get probably 1.5 in -GOE on her triple flutz combo and since none of her jumps get much GOE she would be lucky to break even and combine for 0 in GOE. I dont see where Sasha was going to make up the rest of the points. 2 of Rochette's 3 spin were level 4, her spiral sequence was level 4, and her footwork sequence level 3. You cant make up many points on GOE on spins and Joannie got 1.80 points in GOE on her spiral sequence so even if Sasha got all +3s (which I doubt as they reserve scoring like that on such elements for the queens Kim and Mao whether they deserve it or not) she would only gain about a point. Rochette had a level 2 layback without much GOE so there is the one element Cohen could really gain some points.

As for PCS Rochette averaged over 8 on PC scores to go over 32 (out of a possible 40). This was about equal to Mao, and under the factored PC scoring for the SP less than 2 points below Yu Na, and we should know already on protocal Sasha was never going to get the kind of PCS Yu Na was getting in Vancouver even if she skated well. Even equaling Joannie's PCS would require Sasha to get much higher PCS than U.S judges were giving her at her own Nationals. That certainly would go against the usual trend, and given that the USFSA had far more vested interest in Sasha than international judges and the ISU ever would, seems far fetched. So actually upon further consideration I would be surprised if Sasha didnt even have lower PCS than Rochette for her Nationals SP, never mind significantly higher.

vCash
    "Where would Sasha have landed in Vancouver ..........?"

I'll admit it ..... I like Sasha, but it still took every ounce of my strength.

vCash
    ...What?

vCash
    ...... keeping my big mouth under control.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Nagasu's SP at Worlds was much better than Nationals. Her jumps were the strongest she has ever done by far. Plus she atleast attempted the triple-triple (even though it was downgraded).
    Not really, I mean she got dinged for a slight flutz at nationals but her 3f and 2a were equally solid there. Her SP at the Olympics was weaker than Worlds and Nationals, but between Worlds and Nationals, the only difference was the flutz and 3-3 attempt (her landing of the combo was actually better at nationals). She maybe presented a bit more at worlds though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Not really, I mean she got dinged for a slight flutz at nationals but her 3f and 2a were equally solid there. Her SP at the Olympics was weaker than Worlds and Nationals, but between Worlds and Nationals, the only difference was the flutz and 3-3 attempt (her landing of the combo was actually better at nationals). She maybe presented a bit more at worlds though.
    I can't explain why, but those Olympic scores were inflated. Regardless, even if the scores were inflated, the placements weren't. I think the difference between Olympics and Worlds for Mirai was pressure. At the Olympics, she was under no pressure. She had no chance in hell of winning, and only slim chance at the podium. There was not much pressure. She skated for the fun of it.

At worlds, her chances were pretty much the same. Except she was in the lead and expected to bring home a 3rd ladies' spot. She had trouble dealing with it.

vCash
    The Olympic scores were inflated so that the media could be like ZOMG LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SKATING AND THESE HUGE SCORES!!!!!

That's it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    The Olympic scores were inflated so that the media could be like ZOMG LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SKATING AND THESE HUGE SCORES!!!!!

Admin Edit, we know who you are and you are on a tight leash.

vCash
    How in heaven's name did you manage to bring a newscaster's sex life into this? Are you on a crusade to get the thread shut down or something?
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    2010 Olys - The judges were caught up in the moment and just said, "Oh, to heck with it, here's an extra 20 points because this is the Olympics and it's exciting!" They did this to Queen YuNa and to Virtue and Moir. YuNa should have won, but by that much? V&M simply had the benefit of going after D&W, so the judges just went "here ya go! Here's the rest of our points" while dumping out the bucket.

vCash
    Ninth or tenth, if lucky. She may have made 6th or 7th in SP, then dropped way down in LP. It was an extraordinarily great final night. Kwak and Hecken would've topped Cohen in TES.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    2010 Olys - The judges were caught up in the moment and just said, "Oh, to heck with it, here's an extra 20 points because this is the Olympics and it's exciting!" They did this to Queen YuNa and to Virtue and Moir. YuNa should have won, but by that much? V&M simply had the benefit of going after D&W, so the judges just went "here ya go! Here's the rest of our points" while dumping out the bucket.
    Probably just another way of proving that "points" mean NOTHING at all. They are simply placeholders. Just like a 5.8 was under the old system.

vCash
    The only way I see Sasha having any advantage over the ladies is in the GoE of the SpSq, and possibly making the other judges mark the other ladies lower by comparison. Even so, the effect would be minimal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Ninth or tenth, if lucky. She may have made 6th or 7th in SP, then dropped way down in LP. It was an extraordinarily great final night. Kwak and Hecken would've topped Cohen in TES.
    mhm. Sasha was pretty weak at nationals, had Christina Gao not fallen on her 3f, she would have beaten Sasha in the LP there, and that was WITH Sasha's huge PCS, and that wasn't even Christina's best performance of the season. Plus I think it's safe to say Lepisto has successfully snagged Sasha's former position in the figure skating World....to have one lady medal at Worlds with 3 triples is acceptable, but to have 2 ladies like that would not be ok.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    I can't explain why, but those Olympic scores were inflated. Regardless, even if the scores were inflated, the placements weren't. I think the difference between Olympics and Worlds for Mirai was pressure. At the Olympics, she was under no pressure. She had no chance in hell of winning, and only slim chance at the podium. There was not much pressure. She skated for the fun of it.

At worlds, her chances were pretty much the same. Except she was in the lead and expected to bring home a 3rd ladies' spot. She had trouble dealing with it.
    Very nice post, ITA. It must be annoying for skaters when they end up in first after the SP when it's totally unexpected because favorites bomb or get things downgraded. Then, they have all the added pressure of being in first, think they actually have a good chance at winning the competition when coming in they thought they had a shot at maybe a medal but not the title, and then all that pressure and excitement and attention makes them bomb the FS and end off the podium. SO IRRITATING.

Haha sorry. But this happened to two of my favorite skaters back to back at Junior Worlds and Worlds. Like Anna from Russia, coming in she totally didn't think she'd beat Kanako, and was likely aiming for a bronze behind Shelepen. Then Kanako's 3-3 gets downgraded and Shelepen bombs the SP, so Anna's in 1st. She gets all excited, she thinks she can win, feels the pressure, and then when it's time for the LP, she chokes and drops to 5th.

Mirai likely was aiming for bronze at Worlds with Joannie gone. So then Mao's 3a gets downgraded and Yuna bombs the SP, so Mirai's in 1st. She gets all excited, thinks she can win, feels the pressure, and then when it's time for the LP, she chokes and drops to 7th.

So irritating because I will always wonder, if those two girls had just been 2nd after the SP and not 1st (would have happened in both cases had the 2nd place SP finishers not had their combos downgraded), if just that lack of attention, excitement, and anxiety brought from being in 1st would have allowed both girls to skate well in the FS at medal at their respective events. For both girls, neither had skated a FS that poorly in a long time, so I really think it would have happened for both of them. But the stupid pressure of being in 1st after the SP despite not being the best skater at the event crushed them both .

vCash
    If Nagasu stayed upright on her 2A, she likely would have won bronze instead. Total meltdown.

Still, we need another season or two to monitor her.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast